The Student Room Group

Maths, further maths, physics and economics, Am i mad ?

Scroll to see replies

If you're mad, I'm mad. I did the exact same subjects plus AS Critical Thinking this year and taking them all except Critical Thinking on to A2 next year. So no, I don't think you're mad :P
Reply 61
skipp
A module on food technology? Glad my exam board didn't do that :laugh: particle physics on the other hand :coma:
And at least it'll force you to keep on track :yep: January exams are the real thing, occasionally some schools will do all June exams for some subjects...but I can't imagine they'd do this for Maths or Phsyics

And as for the how many A levels are advisable nowhere's going to ask for more than 3.5, if you love all your subjects you could do 4 but from what I've experienced doing lots of extra subjects doesn't do you any favours & in some cases can compromise your grades, (obviously if you had 4.5 A*s you'd look amazing, but they're not going refuse to give you an offer for being predicted good grades in the number of subjects they ask for) if you feel under-challenged & find you have some free time read around your subjects outside of school and you could even pick up some extra-curriculars if there's something you particularly want to do

Yep we learn about viscocity and the flow of liquids, weird...

I dont want anymore A levels as i want to put all my work into those 4, and get atleast AAAa (hopefully A* depending on how hard it is)
Reply 62
Jampolo
Yep we learn about viscocity and the flow of liquids, weird...

I dont want anymore A levels as i want to put all my work into those 4, and get atleast AAAa (hopefully A* depending on how hard it is)

:lolwut: how odd, hopefully that weird module won't put you off the rest of the subject

Best idea :yep: good luck with those
Reply 63
skipp
:lolwut: how odd, hopefully that weird module won't put you off the rest of the subject

Best idea :yep: good luck with those

After two years of struggling with food tech, i hope not :smile: thats one lesson i tell everyone younger than me to stay away from, i mean an exam based on FISH, what the hell is the exam board on!?!?!!
Reply 64
Jampolo
After two years of struggling with food tech, i hope not :smile: thats one lesson i tell everyone younger than me to stay away from, i mean an exam based on FISH, what the hell is the exam board on!?!?!!

You could understand if it was biology & they were talking about live fish but not so much cooking fish :giggle: think I remember doing some food tech at gcse but that was a chemistry (what happens if you stick a crisp in a bunsen burner?) and it was a while ago :giggle:

So ye try to endure food tech & hopefully you can really enjoy the rest of the course :yep:
Reply 65
Those for are the subjects I carried on for A2...plus critical thinking at AS. It really is not a lot of work.
Reply 66
alex_hk90
Perfect subject choice for Economics at uni IMO. :yep:

Thanks, I might do maths or economics at uni.
Reply 67
There's nothing wrong with those subject combinations, but I would probably give you a questioning look as well (mainly because those happen to be the subjects I detest with a passion :biggrin:)
Reply 68
Those are some awesome courses

I did maths, economics, physics

and it was HARD

Make sure you work
Think about what you want to do in uni; some universities (like LSE) dont count further maths as a separate subject, so you'll have to do those 4 subjects up to A2. If you're up for that, then good luck :smile:
i do 6 ASs including further
u will be fine
Reply 71
Im taking Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry through to A2, predicted A*A*AA and will be taking ICT AS next year as well.
Reply 72
Jampolo
Was you capable of getting an A* with a lot of revision through out the year or is it unbelivably hard ?

Well I just finished my A2 and I already got A* in Maths (finished it in Jan) but I'm afraid I won't get A* in Fmaths and Physics because I think I left revision too late.
Reply 73
I did the same subject combination this year. It honestly wasn't that much work, especially in comparison to the History/English students at my school.
Reply 74
thepieofpie
If you're good at maths maths and further maths shouldn't really be that much work. Same really with physics, if you can get the concepts easily there's probably less work to do than the other sciences/maths. I didn't do economics but from what I've heard it's not that bad you have to memorise quite a lot and do lots of time essay practice.

i did the exact same subjects at A level and I just finished with A levels this year. I think the work load is totally fine but again that depends how good u r at Maths. If you get maths very easily then it should definitely not be a problem. Also, if you take more mechanics modules in ur maths and further maths, it over laps with physics, so u dont have to study that much during exams. and no, u dont have to spend so much time in the library for econs. I guess it depends which board u r doing. Edexcel? CIE? i did edexcel.
Reply 75
Jampolo
The four AS levels i am currently going to take are
mathematics
further mathematics
physics
economics

But today we had an open day at our college, and everyone in the tutor group told everyone about their courses, and i was only one of two further maths students in the room, and as soon as i told the teacher my courses she sort of looked at me, and asked if i would cope and said the workload is HUGE!

Also when i talk with friends about their courses, i got the odd geek/nerd crap off of retards, but most people seem taken back by my choices, as if they are almost impossible. Is there something im missing ? I dont have a clue how much work im going to be doing.. but one teacher said i would be spending a lot of time in the library, especially for economics. Do these subjects require A LOT of work outside lesssons ? Its not that im willing to put it in, im just wondering how much work there is involved :smile:

i did the exact same subjects at A level and I just finished with A levels this year. I think the work load is totally fine but again that depends how good u r at Maths. If you get maths very easily then it should definitely not be a problem. Also, if you take more mechanics modules in ur maths and further maths, it over laps with physics, so u dont have to study that much during exams. and no, u dont have to spend so much time in the library for econs. I guess it depends which board u r doing. Edexcel? CIE? i did edexcel.
besides, unis love this combination of subjects especially if u want to pursue a degree in engineering or economics. Its got breadth and depth. I remember LSE saying that they like candidates with this subject combination.
Reply 76
Patila

Yes i think were doing edexcel! Im not suure if the units are exclusive to edexcel, but did you do units suuc has C1,C2,C3,FP1,FP2,FP3,M1, and i tihnk M2, that was some of the units there were more, i think its edexcel.
Jampolo
Yes i think were doing edexcel! Im not suure if the units are exclusive to edexcel, but did you do units suuc has C1,C2,C3,FP1,FP2,FP3,M1, and i tihnk M2, that was some of the units there were more, i think its edexcel.

Are you planning to do AS or A2 Fmaths? If only AS pick C1-4, FP1, M1+2, S1+2. S1+2 are much easier than M3+4 and if you do at least 2 mechs modules I think unis will be happy. If A2 do FP2+3 and M3 if you can or swap out M3 for D1 which is apparently doss.
Reply 78
Jampolo

I did C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2, M3, FP1, FP2, D1, S1 and S2- math and further maths combined. yes i think u r doing edexcel.
Reply 79
If your mad i am to i'm gonna start
maths
further maths
economics
and chemistry
is september i think its gonna be hard at first but we will soon get into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest