The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My boss + the department head were chatting aboout it by my desk today. We've got 4 graduate positions that are going to go to external recruitment. They were discussing the entry requirements:

Dept head: What grade level do you reckon?
My boss: Umm.. not sure.. hey (Reue), what grade did you get?
Me: 2.1
My boss: Okay, 2.1 it is.

And that was that. Amazing how quickly/easily the decision was made to disregard anyone with anything less regardless of experience or extra curric activities.
god most people don't have a clue, those that are not even at uni yet

the only trouble setting at a 2.1 is the amount off people that could better than those with a 1st or a 2.1, but for one reason or another didn't get the marks,missing out on promising candidates with the right work skills unnecessarily, funny enough that also points out that less men get a 2.1 and part time students in that link
Reply 22
Just
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
EnragedMoose
More "cost effective" and an investment with greater value nowadays, yes. Not neccesary school leavers either. After A-Levels may be the best point to leave for many.

What is the point in A levels if not to go to uni, that is 2 years of wasted time you could have been working/doing an apprenticeship
Reply 24
If everyone's planning on leaving the UK, do you reckon we'll suffer from a brain drain of sorts then?
Reply 25
Dnator
**** off

Well, minus the second and third points, she does sort of have a point :p:
Dnator
**** off

You could at least provide some form or argument against what you quoted.

Those are all very valid points for improving your chances of getting a decent job. So many people miss some critical points out from this list.

Employers filter out 2:1s, much like many filter out applicants with less than x UCAS points, or similar. It doesn't mean that every 2:1-achieving candidate is going to get a job, because then there's the interview and human filtering stages, which look at experience, other qualifications, key/core skills, institution and so forth.
Reply 27
This survey by the AGR is not comprehensive. Check the list of members:

http://www.agr.org.uk/Members/Members.aspx

The results tend to be biased because its membership consists of leading companies whose requirements tend to be higher anyway and only employ a fraction of all UK graduates.

"The AGR Graduate Recruitment Summer Survey 2010 is based on responses provided by 199 AGR members in May 2010. Collectively, these members are estimated to offer a total of 17,920 graduate vacancies"

http://www.agr.org.uk/Content/Class-of-2010-Faces-Uphill-Struggle-for-Jobs
Reply 28
I've a 2:2, doesnt bother me, don't plan on working in that field anymore (if I do it'll be via a masters anyway which I can get into) and I don't plan on working in the UK.
Reply 29
Just because one has a first doesn't necessarily mean one has the wonderful inter-personal skills fundamental to the job in question. I think it's unfair that they automatically filter out those with 2:2s. They might bring heaps more to the job.

How would you like them to filter their hundreds of applicants? Considering grade inflation its not surprising that a 2:1 is now the expected level of attainment for university grads. It would be nice to think that employers had the resources to vet each applicant as an individual but we all know that thats impossible, so i don't see the issue with them using the applicants level of achievement at university as the central criterion, surely its the single biggest indicator of their ability at this level.

If you want to complain about the fact that people with a 2:2 are now being disregarded i would blame the factors that contribute to grade inflation as opposed to employers recruitment tactics.
Jim-ie
I've a 2:2, doesnt bother me, don't plan on working in that field anymore (if I do it'll be via a masters anyway which I can get into) and I don't plan on working in the UK.

Good for you.

This country is a mess.

Give it 10 years then come back, for now, run while you can.
Reply 31
To be fair, a 2.2 is a sign of a lack of effort and application, not really a lack of ability. Almost everyone who goes to university is capable of getting a 2.1 or above, it just depends how much work they want to put in. So if you come out with a 2.2 then you should expect to be lower down in the pecking order.

The main point which really needs to be considered is the difference in quality between institutions as grades between some just aren't comparable.
Reply 32
If you look at the BBC News article on it today, you'll find that only 7% of employers felt the university was important, which is the opposite of all the kids bleating on about league tables and yelling that the employer's going to pick them because their uni is 2 places higher than another.
Reply 33
shiny
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
As Shiny says, the statistics in the survey are by no means comprehensive as they are limited to the members of the AGR. However, these include many of the most desirable companies to work for so the statistics make grim reading for anyone who envisaged themselves at these institutions during their degree. And in general, the statistics also are a fair indicator of the competitive nature of graduate positions in the downturn - even if they are specific to these companies - and the clear distinction made be recruiters between 2:1 and 2:2 candidates.

The only slim consolation is that the graduate market in the private sector will pick up as it will be the private sector which will see Britain return to consistent noticeable growth and become competitive again. Thus, private business will want to get ahead of their competitors by taking more graduates and greater quality ones - and overall creating more jobs for graduates as a whole. In the meantime, re-write that CV, get a decent suit, and apply to jobs by the hatful.
Wolfos
If you look at the BBC News article on it today, you'll find that only 7% of employers felt the university was important, which is the opposite of all the kids bleating on about league tables and yelling that the employer's going to pick them because their uni is 2 places higher than another.

It depends on the industry and nature of what is being hired for.

Most of the grad. pool have 2.1s - if you're seriously suggesting even the most of naive HR are going to place Cambridge undergrads on the same levels as those from UEA, you're very much mistaken.
Bad times. All the more incentive for me to study further then! :biggrin:
Not surprising.
Dnator
Putting things in the fridge is the best way to keep them cold. Wasn't about what she said, she just always comments on these things like she is already at oxford. I bet she hasn't even had a job yet.

It's irrelevant, surely?

What was said, as over-zealous and short-sighted as it may seem, was completely correct. Better to realise it before, rather than after university.
Smack
Wait - im so academic is a she?!

I thought it was a he...aren't they the same person as Johnothan3909?

Latest