*Get a 1st
*Study a traditional/academic/"proper" subject
*Study at a good institution
*Obtain relevant work experience
*Do summer placements/interships

Original thinking is original.
Reply 61
reviresco
I certainly hope your right, for those of us whose degrees are *ahem* difficult to apply to a real life work situation.

What you doing/did you do at warwick?
Dnator
Read the other posts, what she was saying is pretty much obvious - it is the fact she is a 14 year old serial troll that is annoying.

I actually find I agree with most of what she says actually..:s-smilie:
Reply 63
What you doing/did you do at warwick?

English literature and creative writing. Whilst i definitely do not regret my degree choice, i am beginning to understand how it might make things rather awkward between me and graduate employers.
Reply 64
reviresco
English literature and creative writing. Whilst i definitely do not regret my degree choice, i am beginning to understand how it might make things rather awkward between me and graduate employers.

Are you just after any sort of job - I was checking out sainsburys grad entry (I just got a shelf stacking job there, wanted to see what credentials my manager has) and they have all sorts of stuff there, criminology from nott trent was one.
The job market isn't easy for anyone at the moment. Doing all the things I'm so academic has said helps, but it's far from guaranteeing a job. With so few jobs around there's a very fine line between someone who gets the job first time and thinks the job market is easy, and someone who narrowly misses out on several jobs who think it's impossible to get a job. When I was at uni everyone I knew thought they'd walk straight into a job after uni, but in reality it is quite worrying how few of my friends have gotten into graduate jobs, and that's 2 years after graduation!

Having a high threshold makes sense, employers have plenty of choice, especially now PhD students are applying for jobs meant for graduates. Even graduates with 2.1s need that special something to stand half a chance, so I don't think the argument about 2.2 graduates with unique skills being ignored stands up. It's a shame, but if there is low supply and high demand employers can ask for whatever the hell they want. They'll get the best person for the job, and plenty of people who are qualified or even over-qualified will lose out, let alone the people who don't meet the requirements.
Reply 66
Who wants to work in one of these massive, boring, corporate companies anyway? Far more fun to work at a startup. You actually get listened to, no matter what your position is, and there's no bureacracy.
Flying Scotsman
lol, did all five of those and I got a job fine. :biggrin:

Also, you forgot to mention good EC's.

Oh yes.

It could differentiate between two similiar good applicants potentially. :dontknow:

Let's put it this way, good ECs could hardly disadvantage your application, can it?

Might as well "have it".
Reply 68
Are you just after any sort of job - I was checking out sainsburys grad entry (I just got a shelf stacking job there, wanted to see what credentials my manager has) and they have all sorts of stuff there, criminology from nott trent was one.

Advertising is where im headed, copywriting. Or publishing at a push. Not going to be easy but i dammed if im not going to use the skills i've attained, even if things look as bleak as the Beeb would have us believe.
Svenjamin
The job market isn't easy for anyone at the moment. Doing all the things I'm so academic has said helps, but it's far from guaranteeing a job. With so few jobs around there's a very fine line between someone who gets the job first time and thinks the job market is easy, and someone who narrowly misses out on several jobs who think it's impossible to get a job. When I was at uni everyone I knew thought they'd walk straight into a job after uni, but in reality it is quite worrying how few of my friends have gotten into graduate jobs, and that's 2 years after graduation!

Having a high threshold makes sense, employers have plenty of choice, especially now PhD students are applying for jobs meant for graduates. Even graduates with 2.1s need that special something to stand half a chance, so I don't think the argument about 2.2 graduates with unique skills being ignored stands up. It's a shame, but if there is low supply and high demand employers can ask for whatever the hell they want. They'll get the best person for the job, and plenty of people who are qualified or even over-qualified will lose out, let alone the people who don't meet the requirements.

Of course what I said doesn't guarantee one a job, but I believe they are factors that could *potentially* help an application.

SamCrossMan
Original thinking is original.

Yet people still don't study the best courses and do extra things to help themselves. :s-smilie:
im so academic
Of course what I said doesn't guarantee one a job, but I believe they are factors that could *potentially* help an application.

Chill out, I was agreeing with you. I don't think there's any potentially about it, certainly not in the initial judgement of CVs. It's more of a bona fide fact than opinion.
Dnator
Well I might say that the bit about Hard traditional courses and reputable uni are wrong, unless you are going to a technical job related to your degree it does seem doing any degree anywhere is enough for a lot of grad entry schemes as long as you hit a 2.1.

There is a marked pay disparity between those at top unis and those at lower unis.

A 2:1 at any course is the only requirement of course. But meeting the minimum requirement is really not what you're wanting for a grad job. You need to distinguish yourself when there's so many graduates chasing so few jobs.

Employers know the difference work involved in getting a 2:1 in Engineering at Imperial and a 2:1 in Film Studies at LJMU.
Reply 72
mituozo
Who wants to work in one of these massive, boring, corporate companies anyway? Far more fun to work at a startup. You actually get listened to, no matter what your position is, and there's no bureacracy.

I'd like to work for one of them. :rolleyes:

Job security, the ability to move between roles in the same company, higher pay, more benefits, potential for travel, following tried and tested paths for career progression with advice from a mentor etc. All these things appeal to me - among others. Not that I don't agree that being listened to and avoiding bureaucracy also are important.
Reply 73
innerhollow
A 2:1 at any course is the only requirement of course. But meeting the minimum requirement is really not what you're wanting for a grad job. You need to distinguish yourself when there's so many graduates chasing so few jobs.

Very true. A 2:1 may well get you through the initial sorting stage but from then it counts for nothing as everyone else is equally or better qualified than you - in terms of university grade. People with Firsts and those with 'proper' degrees will obviously appeal more to recruiters.
Reply 74
Surely if anybody has insight into the attributes that will (or won't) make you stand out in the graduate employment market, it's the graduate recruiters themselves, not pompous TSR users who haven't left university (or even college).

Only 7% of the surveyed recruiters use the university itself as a significant criterion in the selection process. Hopefully that should make some of the snobs think twice about comparing, for instance, Oxford to Thames Valley.

And if your CV, application and/or interview aren't up to standard, you're not going to get the job. It's that simple.
innerhollow
There is a marked pay disparity between those at top unis and those at lower unis.

Employers know the difference work involved in getting a 2:1 in Engineering at Imperial and a 2:1 in Film Studies at LJMU.

This.

Subject and institution does count!
Reply 76
I am amused by all the 'leave the country' comments. A certain type of person has always said this, regardless of the economic circumstances here. Funnily enough though the world is not waiting to embrace disaffected British grads with open arms and enormous pay packets; most countries in the world have their own mismatch between graduates and jobs, and if you go for jobs there you'll just be competing with grads in those countries.

I had an uncle who told me from as long ago as I can remember that I should 'get out when you can'. Silly thing is, he was a waste of space who carried around a massive chip on his shoulder and a huge sense of entitlement, and who couldn't cope with the fact that the world didn't share his own high opinion of himself. He hasn't succeeed in life, not because this is a crappy country (it isn't) but because he expected the world to give him a living rather than going out and working hard and starting at the bottom like most people have to.
eddy2375
Surely if anybody has insight into the attributes that will (or won't) make you stand out in the graduate employment market, it's the graduate recruiters themselves, not pompous TSR users who haven't left university (or even college).

Only 7% of the surveyed recruiters use the university itself as a significant criterion in the selection process. Hopefully that should make some of the snobs think twice about comparing, for instance, Oxford to Thames Valley.

I don't think you're reading that stat right, and I think it's phrased deceptively too. By the way that you're reading it, a meagre 34% of graduate employers consider work experience a significant criteria. Does that sound right to you?

Plus, the pay disparity between top unis and lower unis speaks for itself.

It's NOT snobbery to say that a 2:1 graduate from Oxford gets more regard than a 2:1 graduate from Thames Valley! Considering the Oxford graduate sat far harder exams to get that same grade, it's only fair they get some recognition for that.
Reply 78
NothingOnYou
It depends on the industry and nature of what is being hired for.

Most of the grad. pool have 2.1s - if you're seriously suggesting even the most of naive HR are going to place Cambridge undergrads on the same levels as those from UEA, you're very much mistaken.

You're comparing the top university and one of the bottom universities. Obvious difference is obvious. I'm talking about the universities from numbers 15 to 40 or something like that and people freaking out because they think employers will choose someone from Liverpool over Cardiff because there's a 5 place difference or something like that. It's all very well to say "I go to Cambridge and have a 1st in Law, therefore I have a very good chance at getting a job". It's quite obvious that you have a better chance at getting the job over someone with a 2.1 in Media Studies from Birmingham or wherever, but don't get too cocky. Employers aren't as clear-cut on picking candidates as people on here would have you believe. There are many 3rd party factors that come into play. Your 1st in Law from Cambridge won't do much if during the interview you came across as a miserable, unenthusiastic character vacuum.
Wolfos
You're comparing the top university and one of the bottom universities. Obvious difference is obvious. I'm talking about the universities from numbers 15 to 40 or something like that and people freaking out because they think employers will choose someone from Liverpool over Cardiff because there's a 5 place difference or something like that. It's all very well to say "I go to Cambridge and have a 1st in Law, therefore I have a very good chance at getting a job" but don't kid yourself. Employers aren't as clear-cut on picking candidates as people on here would have you believe. There are many 3rd party factors that come into play. Your 1st in Law from Cambridge won't do much if during the interview you came across as a miserable, unenthusiastic character vacuum.

Quite, but you've got to get to interview in the first place.

At the top end, the more resolution the better. Discerning between Bath and Imperial example is more than viable. But as you say, as you begin to look at the 20-30s, then the differences are negligible.

Latest

Trending

Trending