The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
While I do history I believe that modern languages are the most employable course. They teach students to not only to interact with other foreigners, but they can also communicate at a much higher level when it comes to their native tongue. For these reasons they are perfect candidates for domestic and international business.
thanks for the suggestion guys :P, i know how good a maths/physics degree can be, sadly neither have ever been my strong point!

what are peoples view on a business degree?
Reply 22
1001 Chiko
Law or PPE are best for all round employability. Unemployment in medicine is almost 0% but you have few choices other than research or practising medicine. For choices and freedom (as the NHS pretty much decides your career path, hours, earning potential and everything else), law or PPE.

What about a straight science, as someone with a PPE degree might struggle to go do a technical science job, but the science can go do anything else on top.
Reply 23
Middle Eastern Studies graduates earn more than Civil Engineering graduate according to the Complete University Guide. Russian Studies aren't bad either.
Reply 24
azzi
no chance :frown:

i just graduated with a degree in electrical and electronic enginnering

32 people in my class ranging from first class degrees to third class degrees and i could give anyone any advice it would be get Experience as most companys value that more than the degree !!

the proof ??
the only person to get a job since graduating from my year got a THIRD CLASS but has 6 months experiance with a company :yep:

So surely the answer is to do the 5 year sandwich course?
Reply 25
Im going with History
Staker
While I do history I believe that modern languages are the most employable course. They teach students to not only to interact with other foreigners, but they can also communicate at a much higher level when it comes to their native tongue. For these reasons they are perfect candidates for domestic and international business.

I do Economics and German and while I agree that languages are more employable because employers will think what you have outlined, the actual reality of it is not as useful in my opinion. Only a small part of a language is actually speaking it, the rest is made up of literature, history and culture modules which are largely just learning things that are imo not very applicable to real life jobs.
Reply 27
Golf Course Management, obviously.
Reply 28
Having no idea about this kinda stuff, I'm gonna go with medicine..
Reply 29
Physics.
Medicine.

0% unemployment for students after six months in last survey I saw
Christ, why are people naming various quantitative degrees when the OP is clearly asking about the most employable arts degree?!

Anyway, I have no clue why people are negging morecambebay for saying Philosophy; if you look at the stats, it's definitely not ridiculous to say that it's one of the most employable arts subjects. Philosophy at the LSE, for example, has the same grad prospects as UCL Economics and higher grad prospects than Law at Nottingham, Durham & Bristol or any Politics course (of course, it's impossible to compare straight Philosophy to PPE because there are no stats for PPE :rant:). Philosophy shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

In fact, with arts subjects, it seems less about the individual course that you choose (if you look at the league tables, there's massive variation in grad prospects within a single subject) & more about where you do it and how proactive you are at building your CV. That's been my impression at least, but this is mainly from TSR/stats :dontknow:
Reply 32
Dnator
So surely the answer is to do the 5 year sandwich course?

in theory yeah that seems the soloution but not all unis do this :frown:

aswell as having the problem of finding a placement i know a few people who are struggling to find placement for there Masters year and are having to work as a lab assistant in the uni to cover as "work placement "
Is Chemistry a worthwhile degree?
Where did this idea come from that PPE makes you super employable. I would argue the most useful bit of PPE, Economics, is what makes it a valuable degree. And because of this I would argue Economics is far more employable than PPE will ever be. Then again is an employer really going to say oh he has Economics lets not go for that PPE guy anymore, unlikely.
Reply 36

That table doesn't look good for computer science :s-smilie:
Given that most of us aren't employers, it's a bit hard to say. :colonhash:

And most of what's being said doesn't matter to me - all that's important to me is that I enjoy what I'm doing, and hopefully it will lead to something I like career-wise, too...
LazyWorseThanInfidel
prove it

13% graduate unemployment according to HESA amongst the highest of any degree. Don't you read the news?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10477551.stm

Large scale industry, engineering and construction has been hit badly by the economic turndown. Where are all the large engineering projects in the UK? Scrapped or shelved for the most part apart from the olympics.
caroline147
it seems less about the individual course that you choose (if you look at the league tables, there's massive variation in grad prospects within a single subject) & more about where you do it and how proactive you are at building your CV. That's been my impression at least, but this is mainly from TSR/stats :dontknow:

This. That's all you need to understand folks. It doesn't matter what course. Employers are only concerned about whether or not you are capable of doing the job at hand. A good sign for them is whether you have sat on your butt cheeks doing nothing except examinations, or whether you have done something impressive to put on your crappy C.V.

Sorry to be rude. I'm on.

Latest

Trending

Trending