The Student Room Group

A-Level subjects for Economics at RHUL?

Hi,

I'm just choosing my A-levels. I have already done AS economics and law both with 90%+.

I want to apply to Royal Holloway for either Economics or PPE next year or the year after.

I just wanted some advice on what other subjects to study at A-level. However I really can't do Maths for some reason, I would not like to share. I know it would be the 'main' subject for economics but I CAN'T take it at A-level.

People who answer 'maths' = Goober.

So what would you suggest?

Thanks.
Reply 1
econ1
Hi,

I'm just choosing my A-levels. I have already done AS economics and law both with 90%+.

I want to apply to Royal Holloway for either Economics or PPE next year or the year after.

I just wanted some advice on what other subjects to study at A-level. However I really can't do Maths for some reason, I would not like to share. I know it would be the 'main' subject for economics but I CAN'T take it at A-level.

People who answer 'maths' = Goober.

So what would you suggest?

Thanks.

I'm not an expert. I'm really just using this as an excuse to bump your thread a bit (it will be moved to the economics subforum or Royal Holloway forum soon). What follows is slightly generic.

A mixtures of sciences, social sciences and arts would probably be your best choice. Strong arts subjects would include, but are not limited to, English Literature, History and Philosophy/Theology/Religious Studies. Try and get one of these.

English Literature is often preferred over English Language generally speaking.

Having no maths is a shame, you can still try physics. It's not impossible to take physics without maths. I know many who have sucessfully managed it. I considered it myself after I dropped biology.

Politics or Psychology are decent social sciences to have alongside economics. Although not seen to be as "traditional" as English, History, Physics etc. they will be fine as a third or fourth subject and I don't believe Royal Holloway have preferences anyway. Not openly.

You don't need politics in order to study it at university. The politics you will study at uni might differ considerably from what you cover at A-level and the politics you do cover at uni will be taught with the assumption that students have had little to no formal study of politics. But that doesn't mean it's a poorly respected A-level either.

The same goes for studying philosophy at A-level. Although it is perceived as being a good A-level to have, and will help you to develop basic knowledge and appreciation of key philosophers, it is not in any way essential.

Don't call me a goober, but is it possible to study maths the following year (whether at school or college). Or even take a year out and study it, at least to AS? Though, depending on your other choices, I wouldn't say it's necessary.
Reply 2
maths. if you don't want to be doing maths find another degree..
Reply 3
River85
I'm not an expert. I'm really just using this as an excuse to bump your thread a bit (it will be moved to the economics subforum or Royal Holloway forum soon). What follows is slightly generic.

A mixtures of sciences, social sciences and arts would probably be your best choice. Strong arts subjects would include, but are not limited to, English Literature, History and Philosophy/Theology/Religious Studies. Try and get one of these.

English Literature is often preferred over English Language generally speaking.

Having no maths is a shame, you can still try physics. It's not impossible to take physics without maths. I know many who have sucessfully managed it. I considered it myself after I dropped biology.

Politics or Psychology are decent social sciences to have alongside economics. Although not seen to be as "traditional" as English, History, Physics etc. they will be fine as a third or fourth subject and I don't believe Royal Holloway have preferences anyway. Not openly.

You don't need politics in order to study it at university. The politics you will study at uni might differ considerably from what you cover at A-level and the politics you do cover at uni will be taught with the assumption that students have had little to no formal study of politics. But that doesn't mean it's a poorly respected A-level either.

The same goes for studying philosophy at A-level. Although it is perceived as being a good A-level to have, and will help you to develop basic knowledge and appreciation of key philosophers, it is not in any way essential.

Don't call me a goober, but is it possible to study maths the following year (whether at school or college). Or even take a year out and study it, at least to AS? Though, depending on your other choices, I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Philosophy ey? I'll look into that. I may take AS maths next year when I have finished my Economics and Law A-levels.

I have been advised from the admissions tutor at the college I am applying for to take Accounting and Business studies. However, I know most if not every university disencourages economics and business as of the amount of subject overlap.

But what's you take on Accounting? They also have a Government & Politics course that he said look at. But I thing his main concerns are to get as many student into the college rather than the students well-being.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll be sure to +rep you.
Reply 4
Is the reason you can't do AS/A-Level Maths (along with the reason as to why you can't share why) because you actually slept with your school's maths teacher?

In any case, RHUL don't require A-Level Maths, so simply do any subjects you want to.
Reply 5
econ1
Philosophy ey? I'll look into that. I may take AS maths next year when I have finished my Economics and Law A-levels.

I have been advised from the admissions tutor at the college I am applying for to take Accounting and Business studies. However, I know most if not every university disencourages economics and business as of the amount of subject overlap.

But what's you take on Accounting? They also have a Government & Politics course that he said look at. But I thing his main concerns are to get as many student into the college rather than the students well-being.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll be sure to +rep you.

Although accounting isn't considered to be a traditional subject, I think for RHUL you'd be alright. I don't know if Royal Holloway do PPE unless they're introducing it for next year, but as mentioned before, any of those social science subjects such as History would be acceptable. Law and Economics is already a good start, so adding something like Politics would give you a great set up. Also PPE wouldn't require maths but in straight economics, it's highly desirable at RHUL (Entry requirements without Maths A-level are AAA, but if you do maths it drops to ABB). I'm not sure if you want RHUL because of its closeness to london but I have heard of people on here with similar subject combos to yours getting offers from places like Birmingham too so I think if you do well in your AS and write a good statement, Royal Holloway would be easily within your grasp :smile:

Hope this was slightly helpful!
Reply 6
.ACS.
Is the reason you can't do AS/A-Level Maths (along with the reason as to why you can't share why) because you actually slept with your school's maths teacher?

In any case, RHUL don't require A-Level Maths, so simply do any subjects you want to.

:lol:
Funny that, I actually snogged my old maths teacher while 'revising' in the pub. True story. :yep:

I Almost became a Legend.

But the maths teacher for A-level maths is an unbelievable nightmare. We hate each other soo much. There is NOWAY I can take her class for any reason whatsoever!

Good point but apparently they lower their offer to just ABB from AAA if you have maths.
Reply 7
celebretty
Although accounting isn't considered to be a traditional subject, I think for RHUL you'd be alright. I don't know if Royal Holloway do PPE unless they're introducing it for next year, but as mentioned before, any of those social science subjects such as History would be acceptable. Law and Economics is already a good start, so adding something like Politics would give you a great set up. Also PPE wouldn't require maths but in straight economics, it's highly desirable at RHUL (Entry requirements without Maths A-level are AAA, but if you do maths it drops to ABB). I'm not sure if you want RHUL because of its closeness to london but I have heard of people on here with similar subject combos to yours getting offers from places like Birmingham too so I think if you do well in your AS and write a good statement, Royal Holloway would be easily within your grasp :smile:

Hope this was slightly helpful!

Excellent advice.

I think I'm most probably going to opt for Economics, Law, Govt & Politics and accounting. Then maybe an AS in maths next year.

I've been advised to email the universities I want to apply for now to ask them for their take on my situation. But who do I email? Their head of economics or admissions tutor?

Thanks again for you help,

Oh and congrats on your LSE offer.
Reply 8

I guess because it's an economics-related query rather than a general admissions one, you'd be better off emailing the economics department (although any questions you might have could appear in their FAQs). Also you should have a look at places that do BAs in Economics like Exeter if you decide not to go through with Maths A-level. The subject combo you've picked there looks to be quite a good one and provided you achieve the results, I'm sure you'll have quite a wide range of unis to choose from come the time. :yep:
Reply 9
econ1
I think I'm most probably going to opt for Economics, Law, Govt & Politics and accounting. Then maybe an AS in maths next year.

I've been advised to email the universities I want to apply for now to ask them for their take on my situation. But who do I email? Their head of economics or admissions tutor?

You do realise they won't care about your situation? By this I mean, you not being able to do AS-Level Maths because you have a dislike of your teacher isn't sufficient for extenuating circumstances.

They'll just say that if they were to make you an offer then it would be their typical offer for those without A-Level Maths. They would also more than likely urge you to reconsider your decision. Apart from that, they have more than enough applicants so unless you're on the sly opening your cheque book, there isn't much you can expect.

EDIT: Also your story in this thread seems to conflict with what's in your user profile. :curious:

Latest

Trending

Trending