The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

How competitive is anatomy and human biology at Liverpool?

I am very interested in this course I was just wondering if it is very competitive to get on to?
Reply 1
well im doing it this year and 2 get in i had 2 go 2 an interview, which wasnt 2 bad
the offer they made me was for ABB which was lower than the prospectus said
:smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
I got an offer from there today ^_^
Original post by kdaly
well im doing it this year and 2 get in i had 2 go 2 an interview, which wasnt 2 bad
the offer they made me was for ABB which was lower than the prospectus said
:smile:

was it quite competitive to get onto human biology
Fairly competitive as it's a small course. My year is pretty big compared to usual intake - about 42 of us. Some people have interviews and typically get lower grade requirements i.e. ABB whereas others got asked for AAB but did not get called for interview. You have to be really dedicated to do this course, especially because the first semester there is very little anatomy and it is really frustrating because the modules you do are things such as evolution and maths. But if you're really interested in anatomy and human biology I'd say go for it. The anatomy we have done has been really interesting and the practical aspect of dissections and handling prossections to help you learn is quite unique as opposed to other anatomy courses. The staff here are brilliant too which makes everything a whole lot easier. If you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi,
I've been offered a place on this course and it has always been my top choice but I was wondering how many hours extra work you put in a week? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
I'm thinking of applying for this course as well but in the future, and yeah I was also hoping that the intake or competition was not too high :redface:

Original post by asphodel77
Fairly competitive as it's a small course. My year is pretty big compared to usual intake - about 42 of us. Some people have interviews and typically get lower grade requirements i.e. ABB whereas others got asked for AAB but did not get called for interview. You have to be really dedicated to do this course, especially because the first semester there is very little anatomy and it is really frustrating because the modules you do are things such as evolution and maths. But if you're really interested in anatomy and human biology I'd say go for it. The anatomy we have done has been really interesting and the practical aspect of dissections and handling prossections to help you learn is quite unique as opposed to other anatomy courses. The staff here are brilliant too which makes everything a whole lot easier. If you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them :smile:

You said you do mostly maths modules in the first semester, what kind of maths is it?
For someone who only achieved a high B at GCSE and did not continue with it, would I find it difficult? I have a feeling it will be loads of A2 maths and AS FM and that's starting to worry me now :frown:

Is this the case?
Original post by gridge7
Hi,
I've been offered a place on this course and it has always been my top choice but I was wondering how many hours extra work you put in a week? Thanks :smile:

You put in as many hours as you need to understand the topics and write up your lecture notes. I wouldn't say there was a set amount of hours because it will vary a lot. Some aspects of anatomy you will pick up really quickly, some topics are simply memorising things and others are about piecing information together. If you really think anatomy is your subject, don't let the possible daunting amount of hard work deter you. If you struggle on the course, theres plenty of people there to help you.

Original post by Arturo09
I'm thinking of applying for this course as well but in the future, and yeah I was also hoping that the intake or competition was not too high :redface:

You said you do mostly maths modules in the first semester, what kind of maths is it?
For someone who only achieved a high B at GCSE and did not continue with it, would I find it difficult? I have a feeling it will be loads of A2 maths and AS FM and that's starting to worry me now :frown:

Is this the case?

From what I've gathered, the maths is around AS level. I got a B at GCSE and did not take it at AS/A level. I do struggle with the maths lectures and exams but as long as you pick up the basics and get 35% minimum in the maths exams and make up for it in the other half of the module - communication & study skills (essay writing, reading and writing up about journals etc) you will pass the module on the whole.
Examples of the maths topics are Logarithms, Powers and exponentials, as well as statistics. Stats are the most important of all the maths topics where you will use them further than first year and there are lectures and workshops on them so you should be fine.
If you've not entered A2 yet and it wouldn't hinder your grades, maybe consider taking up AS mathematics to help you. It wouldn't surprise me if they made maths AS level essential for entering Life sciences because of the complaints they have had about the maths on the course. But again, don't let it change your mind if anatomy is the right course for you. As long as you can endure irrelevant modules for the first semester, the amount of human biology increases in semester 2 and then onto second year where you only have to take the Maths module and modules such as Labs and evolution are replaced by head and neck anatomy, neurophysiology :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
You put in as many hours as you need to understand the topics and write up your lecture notes. I wouldn't say there was a set amount of hours because it will vary a lot. Some aspects of anatomy you will pick up really quickly, some topics are simply memorising things and others are about piecing information together. If you really think anatomy is your subject, don't let the possible daunting amount of hard work deter you. If you struggle on the course, theres plenty of people there to help you.

From what I've gathered, the maths is around AS level. I got a B at GCSE and did not take it at AS/A level. I do struggle with the maths lectures and exams but as long as you pick up the basics and get 35% minimum in the maths exams and make up for it in the other half of the module - communication & study skills (essay writing, reading and writing up about journals etc) you will pass the module on the whole.
Examples of the maths topics are Logarithms, Powers and exponentials, as well as statistics. Stats are the most important of all the maths topics where you will use them further than first year and there are lectures and workshops on them so you should be fine.
If you've not entered A2 yet and it wouldn't hinder your grades, maybe consider taking up AS mathematics to help you. It wouldn't surprise me if they made maths AS level essential for entering Life sciences because of the complaints they have had about the maths on the course. But again, don't let it change your mind if anatomy is the right course for you. As long as you can endure irrelevant modules for the first semester, the amount of human biology increases in semester 2 and then onto second year where you only have to take the Maths module and modules such as Labs and evolution are replaced by head and neck anatomy, neurophysiology :smile:

Yeah, im still in AS, but I was considering taking up AS maths next year, but literally everyone I spoke to advised me not to do it, they said I would struggle and ruin my other grades, so I did not know whether to listen to myself, and trust my ability, or them, because to be fair, they have been through it and seen students in the exact same situation as me, so it is a gamble.

I will definitely consider it now though, anyway, it looks like I wont be able to escape it! :rolleyes:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Hi,

I received a conditional offer to UofL for anatomy & human bio and I'm having a really hard time deciding between this and U of Southampton for biomedical sciences.
Liverpool seems to offer a really unique course (in comparison to biomed which isn't so unique) and several threads have been saying that the year sizes are small, but on the web page for the course it says that the number of first year students is 308, can anyone explain this? Also, if anyone i a student there - how is the teaching? Do you feel you learn a lot from the lecturers and get help easily when you really need it?

Original post by SophiaBaba
Hi,

I received a conditional offer to UofL for anatomy & human bio and I'm having a really hard time deciding between this and U of Southampton for biomedical sciences.
Liverpool seems to offer a really unique course (in comparison to biomed which isn't so unique) and several threads have been saying that the year sizes are small, but on the web page for the course it says that the number of first year students is 308, can anyone explain this? Also, if anyone i a student there - how is the teaching? Do you feel you learn a lot from the lecturers and get help easily when you really need it?

My housemate has intercalated in this. The year groups are pretty small. I think 30 per year if I recall. Maybe the above was a typo? Apart from that, I can't really say anything else (as he's not around for me to ask)!
Hi,

The number of first year students is for all students studying under the school of Life Sciences which Anatomy is under. Classes are always small for anatomy because of the practical aspect and dissection. Theres only so many cadavers to go around, and theres no point in having massive groups around a body - you wouldn't learn anything! :smile:

My year is considered quite big, I think theres about 34 people. The teaching for anatomy is brilliant so far, and they're really happy to help you out if you're struggling and point you in the right direction for further information. Theres lots of opportunity to get extra help - we have revision sessions, you can stay after lectures to ask questions and you can go up to the HARC (human anatomy resource centre) to do some studying yourself. The HARC is especially useful before practical exams, you can take out prossections, learn from models and use computer software to help you learn/ test yourself. The staff are usually around somewhere in HARC so you can ask them if you need help. I'm really happy i picked this course! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
The number of first year students is for all students studying under the school of Life Sciences which Anatomy is under. Classes are always small for anatomy because of the practical aspect and dissection. Theres only so many cadavers to go around, and theres no point in having massive groups around a body - you wouldn't learn anything! :smile:

My year is considered quite big, I think theres about 34 people. The teaching for anatomy is brilliant so far, and they're really happy to help you out if you're struggling and point you in the right direction for further information. Theres lots of opportunity to get extra help - we have revision sessions, you can stay after lectures to ask questions and you can go up to the HARC (human anatomy resource centre) to do some studying yourself. The HARC is especially useful before practical exams, you can take out prossections, learn from models and use computer software to help you learn/ test yourself. The staff are usually around somewhere in HARC so you can ask them if you need help. I'm really happy i picked this course! :smile:

Wow this sounds great, I'm definitely leaning more towards UofL after doing some research and reading a few other studentroom threads. The course seems so unique, and the fact that they offer cadavric dissertion is incredible. How are you liking living in Liverpool?
Wow this sounds great, I'm definitely leaning more towards UofL after doing some research and reading a few other studentroom threads. The course seems so unique, and the fact that they offer cadavric dissertion is incredible. How are you liking living in Liverpool?

It really is, I've not heard of a uni that does cadaver dissection and learning anatomy like we do. It helps more than you can imagine, especially if you want to or eventually want to study something like medicine later on - you've already got a pretty good idea where all the vessels, organs etc are. And it's a lot harder to identify structures in a cadaver/ body simply by learning from a diagram in a book.
I'd be a bit biased as I'm actually from liverpool. But my friends from outside of the city love it! The nightlife is good, shopping is pretty decent and it's a student friendly place. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
It really is, I've not heard of a uni that does cadaver dissection and learning anatomy like we do. It helps more than you can imagine, especially if you want to or eventually want to study something like medicine later on - you've already got a pretty good idea where all the vessels, organs etc are. And it's a lot harder to identify structures in a cadaver/ body simply by learning from a diagram in a book.
I'd be a bit biased as I'm actually from liverpool. But my friends from outside of the city love it! The nightlife is good, shopping is pretty decent and it's a student friendly place. :biggrin:

That's exactly what I was thinking, and I want to study medicine later so it's perfect. Sounds great, thank you for your help :smile::smile:
That's exactly what I was thinking, and I want to study medicine later so it's perfect. Sounds great, thank you for your help :smile::smile:

Well this is a great course for you! Because we come under life sciences, the university also offers a pathway for the students in the school to get a guaranteed interview for medicine after completing a degree. :smile:
Well this is a great course for you! Because we come under life sciences, the university also offers a pathway for the students in the school to get a guaranteed interview for medicine after completing a degree. :smile:

WOW I didn't know that! That's incredible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending