The Student Room Group
Touchstone57
Hello,

So I'm interested in some of the fields of biomedical engineering and biotechnology for a masters. Many of the course requirements are "to hold a degree in a science or engineering discipline...". I wandered, what exactly constitutes a science or engineering discipline?

I'll have graduated with a BSc in Computer Science at that point, surely this would suffice?

Thanks! ^_^

Computer science is a science, but it depends on the university, really. I suggest you call the universities in mind and ask them if your degree would be suitable.

If you look at any university prospectus, in the course listings they are usually split into science and engineering - that'll give you a good idea of what subject is a science and what subject is related to engineering. Computing is listed under the engineering section in the Imperial College London prospectus.

Sciences are mainly split into two: the life sciences (biochemistry, biology/biological sciences, biomedical science, biotechnology, ecology/environmental biology, microbiology, plant biology, zoology...) and the physical sciences (chemistry, earth sciences like geology and geophysics, physics...)

There are various types of engineering, including aeronautical, bioengineering, chemical, civil, electrical, electronic, environmental, materials science, mechanical...

Then you have computing, including computer science, as well as mathematics which would also suffice, I'd imagine, since mathematics is in all sciences (especially the physical ones and also computing) and engineering.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Touchstone57
I'll have graduated with a BSc in Computer Science at that point, surely this would suffice?

I'm afraid that most of the uni's that I have looked at that ask for a science degree do not count computer science as one.

Though it is always worth checking with the particular uni's that you are interested in applying to - you never know!

Plus, there are usually a couple uni's that will accept graduates of any discipline!

Latest

Trending

Trending