The Student Room Group
wlad
Hey guys I would like to apply to Oxford for PPE and to LSE for International Relations this year. I would very much appreciate it if somebody could comment on my chances of applying successfully to all courses with the same personal statement. Thanks a lot!

Your PS isn't going to do well if you apply for both. Both will be looking for PS dedicated to that course.
Reply 2
Your PS isn't going to do well if you apply for both. Both will be looking for PS dedicated to that course.

Hey Yoyo thanks for the reply! I thought that it may be possible to write an appropriate statement for both courses because they have very much in common. I mean, IR is simply PPE with a focus on global issues, isn't it?
Reply 3
It should be possible indeed, but the question is if it's worth it.

You could structure a PS around globalization, an interconnected world-economy and conflict (for example) - while trying to not shut out any of the courses. Another issue might be how domestic politicians need to take global institutions and power-dynamics into account (and vica verca)when developing policy.

So it is quite possible, but if it is worth loosing the edge vs. a more general statement? I dunno.
Reply 4
wlad
Hey Yoyo thanks for the reply! I thought that it may be possible to write an appropriate statement for both courses because they have very much in common. I mean, IR is simply PPE with a focus on global issues, isn't it?
Not really, it's more like a combination of global politics and international history. IR at LSE is insanely competitive, if they see philosophy and economics in your personal statement they'll reject you and give you the old 'your personal statement didn't exhibit sufficient commitment to this course' line. If your heart is set on Oxford PPE then you would be better off applying to one of the following LSE courses as backup:
BSc Philosophy and Economics, BSc Politics and Philosophy or BSc Government & Economics
Reply 5
wlad? Vladimer? you must be russian, huh? :cool:
Go for International Relations at LSE :wink:
Reply 6
Thanks for the great input! I wanted to go in a similar direction. Because I was born in the Ukraine I thought about starting off with the gas conflict Russia had with Ukraine, thereby illustrating how economic means are used to achieve political goals at the expense of ordinary people (which is morally wrong). This situation includes all aspects of PPE as well as IR.
@ Coldvein: I totally agree that there's a risk of being rejected on the basis of the "not enough commitment"-argument, however I think that IR contains many elements of economics and philosophy. Would you agree?
@ h3nk1: PPE is in itself a rather general discipline and I assume that I would have to describe a particular field of interest in my PS anyway. So I thought about highlighting my interest in all three fields and then talk about their importance, correlation and application on a global field. Do you think that the PS will be too general anyway?
@ sungirl: I was born in the Ukrain and am now living in Germany, but I assume that LSE is anyway a good place to study :wink:
Reply 7
wlad
@ Coldvein: I totally agree that there's a risk of being rejected on the basis of the "not enough commitment"-argument, however I think that IR contains many elements of economics and philosophy. Would you agree?
I do agree, in fact the LSE course does indeed involve some economics and philosophy options - but if you took them they would only make up a very small part of the degree (see here). The problem is that a personal statement for PPE will obviously need to contain (fairly) large sections on both economics and philosophy; more than in a personal statement aimed solely for IR.

Given that competition for the IR course at LSE is about 20 applicants per place, you can see how an applicant with a completely IR focused statement has an advantage over someone with a PPE based personal statement. I'm not saying it's impossible to write a statement for both but (due to the competition for both courses) it will be very difficult. Good luck.
Reply 8
wlad
Hey guys I would like to apply to Oxford for PPE and to LSE for International Relations this year. I would very much appreciate it if somebody could comment on my chances of applying successfully to all courses with the same personal statement. Thanks a lot!

Hey.You should apply to both!
They are quite similar. Odds are you wont be accepted into both universities because they are so competitive and odds are your applicatin will slant one way, but who cares really, they both are amazing courses and you can't do both in any case. good luck with your applications. what else are you applying for?
Reply 9
xanadu_21
Hey.You should apply to both!
They are quite similar. Odds are you wont be accepted into both universities because they are so competitive and odds are your applicatin will slant one way, but who cares really, they both are amazing courses and you can't do both in any case. good luck with your applications. what else are you applying for?

Hey thanks for the input! I'm thinking about applying to UCL and Warwick besides LSE and Oxford. What about you? Do you plan to go in a similar direction?
Reply 10
wlad
Hey thanks for the input! I'm thinking about applying to UCL and Warwick besides LSE and Oxford. What about you? Do you plan to go in a similar direction?

oh cool. i applied to lse, oxford and ucl. i'm going to study international relations at lse. very excited to go there!!! :smile:
Reply 11
xanadu_21
oh cool. i applied to lse, oxford and ucl. i'm going to study international relations at lse. very excited to go there!!! :smile:

Wow, that's great! Congratulations! You're going to have a great time there :wink:

May I ask for which subjects you were accepted and for which rejected?
Reply 12
I agree with ColdVein, applying for both PPE and IR is very risky. LSE is insanely competitive for IR. In 2008, 1108 people applied for only 54 places. If you are genuinely trying for a place on LSE's IR course, don't dilute your personal statement with economics and philosophy. It needs to be very IR focussed, so a strong emphasis on international history and politics.

I don't see why you don't apply for Government & Econ or Politics & Philosophy, or even Econ & Philosophy at LSE. All three courses exhibit elements of PPE and are perfectly compatible with PPE.

IR students who apply to Oxford usually apply for History & Politics.

At the end of the day, applying for PPE and IR is a huge risk. If you are dead set on applying to Ox & LSE, consider your options: change the subject at LSE or at Oxford.

Latest

Trending

Trending