The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hm, this is probably not the right thread for me, but I am most likely going to apply for a Mathematics Single honours with a Foundation year at universities like Bath, Nottingham, Manchester and Leicester.

Not really sure what to say in my PS apart from the fact that I want to study Maths...
Wow - how did you get your thread made official?
Reply 3
Maths -south bank achieved AAAb
Reply 4
I'm applying for maths/ maths & economics :biggrin:
Will hopefully start personal statement soon, have been putting it off because scared of starting it.
Reply 5
PQ
Wow - how did you get your thread made official?

What?:o:
ffs let us 2010 people at least get our grades first :hmmm:
Reply 7
MMath / Durham if not maybe Nottingham or Bath

I've done tons on my personal statement but I've still got a long way to go. My latest edit has 5 paragraphs merged into 2 plus a couple of other bits :/

EDIT: I'm also really starting to despise prospectuses. More often than not the offers they mention aren't accurate. I've emailed two departments so far to get the latest offers.

Example:
The University has still not made a final decision on the use of A* grades for A-levels, but I think you can assume our offer will be AAA this coming year.

For those of you who don't know; Durham's prospectus clearly states AAB is fine.
jit987
What?:o:

well you've said this is the official thread - just wondering how you got it made official :smile:
Reply 9
Abassk
Maths -south bank achieved AAAb

:rofl:
Reply 10
PQ
well you've said this is the official thread - just wondering how you got it made official :smile:

Oh..lol ahah:p:
Reply 11
Muffin.
I'm applying for maths/ maths & economics :biggrin:
Will hopefully start personal statement soon, have been putting it off because scared of starting it.

Bit of a risk - I've been informed by people in the know - from the inside, that basically I wouldn't get any places. Maybe I would for maths/econ but definitely not for pure Maths. This is because the PS clearly highlights that, as the tutors put it, 'you don't know what you want'.

Of course do it if you really really really want it, for a very good reason.
Reply 12
:hi:
Reply 13
Applying for MMath at Oxford, Warwick, Bath and 2 others - although haven't really decided on the other 2 yet.
Any suggestions?
Pure maths is my favourite, so I need some places that have a good reputation for pure maths, not applying to any of the London ones as it's too expensive and I'm definitely not applying to Durham.
I was considering Loughborough, prefer campus universities.

Onto second draft of personal statement, got some feedback and am tweaking, rearranging paragraphs, improving choice of words etc.
Applying for Maths G100 at
Cambridge (St John's)
Manchester
Nottingham
Cardiff
Liverpool (maybee?)
Hopefully, depending on AS results :P

EDIT: Done my 4th draft of my PS last night :smile: pretty happy with it, although it's 200 characters over :frown:
Applying for MMath at:

Cambridge (Emmanuel)
Manchester
Nottingham
Imperial
Warwick

Taught myself alot of the maths and further maths A Level. I also have done my second draft of my personal statement and so far very happy with it. I enjoy pure maths the most, but also have a liking for statistical properties.
ninjacarlotta
Applying for Maths G100 at
Cambridge (St John's)
Manchester
Nottingham
Cardiff
Liverpool (maybee?)
Hopefully, depending on AS results :P

EDIT: Done my 4th draft of my PS last night :smile: pretty happy with it, although it's 200 characters over :frown:

Ha, don't you find that annoying? I've been working on my PS for weeks, well months, it's over 2 months now and I'm still not quite satisfied with it. There was a point where I was going to give it a rest until someone pointed something out to me :mad:

Out of curiosity why are you considering Manchester? I'm sure it's a good uni I... I... there's just something about it which stops me from considering it. Maybe it's the reputation of the area, that said you could probably say London has the same reputation or worse but because I've lived here all my life I've never really noticed.
alexs2602
Ha, don't you find that annoying? I've been working on my PS for weeks, well months, it's over 2 months now and I'm still not quite satisfied with it. There was a point where I was going to give it a rest until someone pointed something out to me :mad:

I've got mine down to 4858 today and only got 3.5 days left at school before the summer - I really want to get it done before the holidays, cos I'm useless at writing essays etc :s-smilie: But the person checking through mine has been really nice :smile: I was worried at 1st to show anyone what I'd written cos I thought I'd be embarrassed :P

alexs2602

Out of curiosity why are you considering Manchester? I'm sure it's a good uni I... I... there's just something about it which stops me from considering it. Maybe it's the reputation of the area, that said you could probably say London has the same reputation or worse but because I've lived here all my life I've never really noticed.

It's the only place in the country that does Mathematics with Japanese :jive:
Cambridge is my fave obvs for the atmosphere, location, reputation, generally everything about living and studying there and Manchester is my 2nd fave cos I could continue my Japanese and live there for a year :smile: I would be so freakin happy if I could put Cambridge as my firm and Manchester as my insurance.
ninjacarlotta
I've got mine down to 4858 today and only got 3.5 days left at school before the summer - I really want to get it done before the holidays, cos I'm useless at writing essays etc :s-smilie: But the person checking through mine has been really nice :smile: I was worried at 1st to show anyone what I'd written cos I thought I'd be embarrassed :P

It's the only place in the country that does Mathematics with Japanese :jive:
Cambridge is my fave obvs for the atmosphere, location, reputation, generally everything about living and studying there and Manchester is my 2nd fave cos I could continue my Japanese and live there for a year :smile: I would be so freakin happy if I could put Cambridge as my firm and Manchester as my insurance.

Hey, you're doing to the same firm and insurance as me! What cambridge college are you applying for?
cpdavis
Hey, you're doing to the same firm and insurance as me! What cambridge college are you applying for?

St. John's :biggrin:, you?

Latest