The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Usually for traffic surveys, I think.
Reply 2
No, they're used to count how many cars are using the road
Reply 3
yeh they arent used to do you for speeding as they would have to have cameras and stuff, just used to find out how many vehicles are going along the road i think
lillyann92
No, they're used to count how many cars are using the road

Your correct sweetie :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks guys! Was a bit worried, really need to slow down after long motorway journeys.
My neighbour lays them, and he confirmed (against rumours) that they do not measure speed, just how many cars pass over it.

He said they could used to measure average speed if you layed 2 down and did some calculations but that's not what they're made for.
Reply 7
There's a set that have been laid down near where I work, but are very loose. Seems a little dangerous, as they flick up after a car drives over them, so it seems they could easily get caught in a car's wheels. How long are they usually there for? These have been there about a week now.

As for actual speed traps...damn speed camera van yesterday :rant: I've managed to avoid them for over 3 years now. I'm hoping, as it was a dual carriageway and the road was quite busy, the odds of them having seen me before I saw them are pretty slim. Plus I certainly wasn't the fastest moving vehicle so I may be safe.
the cables are to monitor the volume of traffic that goes down that street usually laid down by highways to know when to plan to close the road or divert traffic for roadworks
they monitor the volume of traffic!! there's loads out near me at the moment. they have to have signs if it's speed checking!! also big yellow cameras are required :p: you'll be fine OP :smile:
Reply 10
hobo06
There's a set that have been laid down near where I work, but are very loose. Seems a little dangerous, as they flick up after a car drives over them, so it seems they could easily get caught in a car's wheels. How long are they usually there for? These have been there about a week now.

As for actual speed traps...damn speed camera van yesterday :rant: I've managed to avoid them for over 3 years now. I'm hoping, as it was a dual carriageway and the road was quite busy, the odds of them having seen me before I saw them are pretty slim. Plus I certainly wasn't the fastest moving vehicle so I may be safe.

Don't worry too much if you get a NIP, you'll probably get a speed awareness course. I got nabbed by one last month (hence the paranoia), sneaky bugger hiding around a corner.
Reply 11
2 cables is normally laid by highways, it can measure your speed however these are usually only used for statistical purposes to see if traffic calming measures are needed. Suprisingly though those light up boards don't store any information about your car at the moment or any statistics on speeding drivers. If you see 3 cables in the road to a box with a copcar down the road they can book you and send a NIP in the post.
Traffic census.
cdsmith1990
My neighbour lays them, and he confirmed (against rumours) that they do not measure speed, just how many cars pass over it.

He said they could used to measure average speed if you layed 2 down and did some calculations but that's not what they're made for.

My local council used some for average speed measurement on a notorious stretch of road nearby (this is in the shetland islands, with 2000 miles of decent roads and 1 speed camera...).
Average speed of 77.4mph in a 60 zone, highest speed registered was 181.9mph :biggrin:
Reply 14
TShadow383
My local council used some for average speed measurement on a notorious stretch of road nearby (this is in the shetland islands, with 2000 miles of decent roads and 1 speed camera...).
Average speed of 77.4mph in a 60 zone, highest speed registered was 181.9mph :biggrin:

Hahaha that's brilliant
TShadow383

Lol, that's pretty savage!

World record for breaking a speed limit by the most amount is a guy that drove one of these in the Gumball rally a couple years ago:

Koenigsegg CCX, 806 Swedish BHP..

The guy clocked 241mph in a 75 zone lmao
TShadow383

Lol, that's pretty savage!

World record for breaking a speed limit by the most amount is a guy that drove one of these in the Gumball rally a couple years ago:

Koenigsegg CCX, 806 Swedish BHP..

The guy clocked 241mph in a 75 zone lmao
Reply 17
bestie
Don't worry too much if you get a NIP, you'll probably get a speed awareness course. I got nabbed by one last month (hence the paranoia), sneaky bugger hiding around a corner.

This one wasn't even hiding, you could see it way back. But it's a road I travel down almost every day, and I'd only ever seen a van there once before in the 4 years I've been driving down that road. Oh well, will just have to wait and see. And keep a closer eye on that spot in the future :ninja:
Reply 18
Original post by hariette
You're correct, NOT Your correct. The pronoun your is NOT the contaction of 'you are,' which is you're. THINK about it.

This thread is 6 years old and you dug it up to make a point about grammar whilst typing sloppily in the first place??

Absolutely ridiculous.

Latest

Trending

Trending