The Student Room Group

Changing course (finished 2nd year)

I have just completed my second year, found it difficult due to home problems and in general struggled with the work, I have a meeting next week to discuss changing from Business and Finance to just Business, I was wondering if anyone had changed after their second year and how successful they were?
Thought I would ask as I have been told that its mainly first year students could change, and I have never met anyone who has changed after two years

I am doing a four year course (years placement included)

Thanks in advance for anyones help :smile:
Reply 1
I'm also thinking of changing course. I've just finished second year architecture and i have struggled and thinking of changing to another subject such as something to do with computing.
I don't think its such a bad thing. My tutor so far has said to me its not to late to change our minds as we're still young and to seek something we enjoy if you don't enjoy what your doing currently.

But i to would like to hear from others you have already changed after two years of another course.
Reply 2
I'm going to Leeds this September to do Geography and I officially dropped out of my business course at Loughborough last month, well into my second year, though I hadn't been attending lectures since January exams.

It isn't too late to change your mind, but it can be an expensive decision to make. I've had to raise the tuition fees for my first year at Leeds as I'm not entitled to a loan to cover them (though, I am entitled to a maintenance loan). Also, I will be unable to get any grants from the government for my first year.

I also had to pay back £1900 in overpaid tuition fees and grants, though you guys probably won't have to pay this as you've completed your year.

From my second year onwards I will be able to get a loan for my tuition fees as well as any maintenance loan and grants I am entitled to, as if I was a brand new student. The forumla student finance uses to determine entitlement to a tuition fee loan is:

Length of new course (years) + 1 year (a buffer year) - any previous years funding.

For me that was 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of funding.

As I said, it can be expensive, but I've got no regrets so far. I really wasn't happy with my course and I am so excited that I will be doing something I enjoy. Saying that, I'm not there yet so I don't know how it'll all play out, but I'm hoping for the best! All I would say is make sure you've thought about everything! I spoke to my personal tutor and someone from student services before I took the decision to drop out!

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending