The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

i want to go bangor uni but i live in cornwall...

well the story goes. i live in cornwall (by st ives so the bottom part) and i want to go to bangor uni (the northernist part of wales) a total of 400 miles to drive.

thing is, my taxi, i mean mum doesnt particulary want me to go there because for christmas and summer holidays ill need picking up and being taken back to uni due to my huge amount of stuff and the astronomical train/flying/coach prices.

how do i persuade her that bangor is right for me because i think itll be better as it wont be as distracting as being in the center of london.

thankyou for your time taken to reply & have a nice day/weekend :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe stop treating her like your taxi and think of a feasible plan which will make it easier for her to transport you around.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Considering how much she'd have to spend on fuel though, is the train that much more expensive? It's about 80 quid to get a train from Cornwall to here (not Bangor, but just putting things into perspective), and you'd spend at least half that on fuel, if not more. If I were you i'd have a quick look at train prices anyway, because there are all sorts of deals aswell :smile:
You can get a student railcard which will give you 1/3 off rail fares so that might help towards costs if your mum really doesn't want to drive back and forth alot. Also, at christmas and easter you should be able to leave the majority of stuff in your room, its only the summer holidays that you would need to bring it all back unless you put it into storage in Bangor until the following September? So travelling back by train etc should be easier that way as you wont have that much stuff to carry...

Tell your mum that Bangor is the university that you feel will benefit you the most, after all, its your education not hers and she is going to want what is best for you at the end of the day. So if Bangor really is the uni you desperately want to go to then go there...the rest can all be sorted out later on :smile:
Reply 4
Tell her it's the course you want to do. Go up for an open day if you haven't already and have a look around.

Get a railcard? If you get a 16-25 railcard then a one way ticket to bangor from st ives is £33 to £98. :smile:
Reply 5
surely you wouldn't have to bring all your stuff home for christmas and easter holidays? and coach and train tickets are cheaper if you book them early. just tell her bangor is where you want to go and nowhere else, she will accept it if you're determined enough. and it's true, there surely are more distractions in central london and living there is so much more expensive compared to bangor
Reply 6
timtea
well the story goes. i live in cornwall (by st ives so the bottom part) and i want to go to bangor uni (the northernist part of wales) a total of 400 miles to drive.

thing is, my taxi, i mean mum doesnt particulary want me to go there because for christmas and summer holidays ill need picking up and being taken back to uni due to my huge amount of stuff and the astronomical train/flying/coach prices.

how do i persuade her that bangor is right for me because i think itll be better as it wont be as distracting as being in the center of london.

thankyou for your time taken to reply & have a nice day/weekend :biggrin:

spoilt brat.

Get accomodation where u can leave ur stuff at the university during holidays.

Learn to take the train.
95% of the accomodation on the Fridd site is for the entire year, so don't worry about that. I live next to London and I'm going to Bangor this September - using mainly public transport and occasional lifts. What about if you tell her you'll meet her half way, say at the bottom of Wales or something?
There's only one solution.

Kill your mother :|
Reply 9
I know someone who does this and they never expect their parents to pick them up, they just get the train.

What is it that makes you want to go to Bangor?
Reply 10
so over christmas do you not have to fully move out dispite the contract not including a week at chrismas?

& i did, the coach was something like £70 a few days ago when i looked for december sometime
flying was £33, but its getting to manchester airport and from exeter airport to home
and train was about £80 but i didnt know about rail cards
timtea
so over christmas do you not have to fully move out dispite the contract not including a week at chrismas?

& i did, the coach was something like £70 a few days ago when i looked for december sometime
flying was £33, but its getting to manchester airport and from exeter airport to home

The contract does include the time at christmas and easter, on some of the halls.
Reply 12
timtea

You get a third off with a railcard so should be about £55 which isn't too bad for the occasional journey I suppose. A railcard is £24 I think so it'd pay for itself the first time you use it.
Reply 13
a) get a rail card
b) book train tickets at least 2 months in advance
c) split your journey. (contrary to popular belief this is fine and theres nothing train companies can do about it)
d) the coach is extraordinarily cheap so I dont know what coach you were looking at (Megabus = win)
e) be a bit more grateful to your parents.

Splitting the journey takes effort but is well worth it if you want to save money.
Railcard
Advance fares
Perhaps get the train to Bristol, and get your mother to meet you there.
Coach
Fly
Reply 15
kiss_me_now9
95% of the accomodation on the Fridd site is for the entire year, so don't worry about that. I live next to London and I'm going to Bangor this September - using mainly public transport and occasional lifts. What about if you tell her you'll meet her half way, say at the bottom of Wales or something?

Im coming all the way from Dorset to study at Bangor this year. A long way...
Reply 16
Student railcard, and go on the cheapest train, not the most convenient one.
Reply 17
Just use the Bangor-Cardiff route.

If you book a month or so in advance, will set you back approx. £30 (ranging from £16-60 depending on exact route - the Shrewsbury path is most expensive) without the railcard. Suppose you could hop to Bristol easily enough from S. Wales if need be.

Not so far for yer ma.

ABE: and nationalrail.co.uk shows a route to Taunton from Bangor (via Newport) for £19 booked in advance (other routes are £42 & £104). 5hr Journey.
the train really isn't that expensive, especially considering how far it is, so do that, most halls enable you to leave stuff there during the hols. If I end up going to my insurance I'll be in Aber. I live in Poole on the south coast, by train its 8.5 Hours...to be fair not as long as St Ives-Bangor but still don't moan.
Reply 19
train it. i have a 400 miles round trip from bristol to manchester and it costs me £14 for a single

Latest