The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tailschao
FWIW you might want to try and avoid saying 'college' to mean 'university' while in the UK. Obviously over here they are two totally different things, and it could cause some confusion.

I've not known many Americans/Canadians in real life, but that has been a point of confusion with literally all of them.

ah yes, sorry the whole "college" "university" difference has been explained to me before.

I really hope that the first thing I need to say to others is my name and not so much my nationality. Maybe I'll just pretend to be from elsewhere.... :cool:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 41
ViewlessWings
I'll see what I will do because I have to buy a new wardrobe anyway (I am from a subtropical climate) and since I am not going to have cash till my loans refund, i'd really have to make the money I am going with last. Maybe if I just buy some clothing for the first few days.

Can't you bring like 2 sets of clothing to last you a few days? shouldn't that be enough? Where you going exactly? maybe get someone who is familiar with the area to show you around?

ViewlessWings
oh, and does that smiley ever work for you? :P

You tell me ..... :sexface:
ViewlessWings
I am an international student and should be entering St Andrews this September. I am funding my studies and living costs with loans so I have a few questions for anyone that may have been in the same situation as I. The semester begins on September 28, since Accomodation says we can move in ten days prior to that date, I was hoping to move in the 18th or 19th, so that I can settle in and get to know the town before starting my courses. Obviously, since I am receiving loans, I would need to fund these 10 (or more days, since I would have to wait for disbursement of refunds) myself. How much money (any estimates?!) should I have each day to eat and basically just get by until I get my refund? From what I am guessing, since they ask for 600 pounds a month to get the VISA (which converts to about 900 dollars a month) I am thinking it is about 40 dollars a day? Give or take a few?

I also would really appreciate suggestions regarding luggage, what I should take as a postgrad, and if I shouldn't even be making plans until I am absolutely sure of my accomodation status. Please any information is greatly appreciated!!

Just thought I'd point out that they recommend everyone moves in September 18-19, especially because it's Freshers' Week September 18-26, and you wouldn't want to miss that! :smile:

More info on Freshers' Week here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/freshers/
Reply 43
charlotteee123
Just thought I'd point out that they recommend everyone moves in September 18-19, especially because it's Freshers' Week September 18-26, and you wouldn't want to miss that! :smile:

More info on Freshers' Week here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/freshers/

I wish I could but I'm not going to be able to. I have to work till the very last day before I leave so that I can have some sort of income before the loan refunds.

Although I am sure Freshers' Week must be amazing, I am going as a postgrad :smile:

Would it look bad of me to not be able to be there? Financially, it is not very possible for me... :frown:
LGF92
Yeah, it's legal to drink on the streets in England so long as you're not being disorderly. You can buy alcohol at 3am or whenever from a 24-hour supermarket.

Just so people know YOU CAN'T DRINK ON THE STREET IN ST ANDREWS. Lots of places have by-laws against it, St Andrews happens to be one of these. You can drink on the beach though.

Edit 2: Ok, so this was pointed out on the first page, I'm a div and didn't read it. But there are places in England where it's illegal (Carlisle for example, also the only place in the UK to have state run pubs (until 1974) because of how bad the drinking problem was)

Edit: Freshers week is for postgrads too! I'm certainly going! Also, be careful, I don't know if you're going to have any tutoring duties but if you are there's compulsory courses for it in Freshers' Week.
Reply 45
la_banane_verte
Just so people know YOU CAN'T DRINK ON THE STREET IN ST ANDREWS. Lots of places have by-laws against it, St Andrews happens to be one of these. You can drink on the beach though.

Edit 2: Ok, so this was pointed out on the first page, I'm a div and didn't read it. But there are places in England where it's illegal (Carlisle for example, also the only place in the UK to have state run pubs (until 1974) because of how bad the drinking problem was)

Edit: Freshers week is for postgrads too! I'm certainly going! Also, be careful, I don't know if you're going to have any tutoring duties but if you are there's compulsory courses for it in Freshers' Week.

It seems I may end up arriving around the 18th anyway for many reasons. This is quite insane :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending