The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

puddlejumper
Because sometimes people can't afford to go to places such as Oxbridge no matter how intelligent they are or how good their academic qualifications are.

The fact that they went to a lower university simply means that they might have had to stay at home because they needed to work during their degree.

I've been taught, both at school and at university by Oxbridge graduates and by graduates of minor universities. There was no significant difference between the two types. They were all very bright, had good knowledge of their subjects and were excellent teachers.

You have to be a very silly child to believe that your university choice makes you a better person.

The guy's blatantly referring to people who went to worse unis because they didn't do well at A level. Besides, most teachers went to school back when it didn't cost a penny more to go to Oxbridge than it did to anywhere else. It still doesn't actually.

Anyway pointing out what are obviously exceptions to the rule doesn't negate my point. He is obviously referring to people who got DDD at A level compared to AAA.
Suis Je Bovvered ?
lol what an idiot! As if oxbridge physics grads are going to compete for teaching jobs in schools :rolleyes: It's exactly that kind of stupid statement that shows just how far out of the 'real world' he is.

EDIT: What is even more hilarious is 'Mr Gibb was educated at grammar school in Kent before reading law at Durham University' - Oxbridge reject :rofl:

We had a Cambridge Engineering Grad teach us Maths. Stranger things have happened!
KimKallstrom
The guy's blatantly referring to people who went to worse unis because they didn't do well at A level. Besides, most teachers went to school back when it didn't cost a penny more to go to Oxbridge than it did to anywhere else. It still doesn't actually.

Anyway pointing out what are obviously exceptions to the rule doesn't negate my point. He is obviously referring to people who got DDD at A level compared to AAA.

Honestly, what people got at A-level is completely irrelevant 5-10 years later when they are adults. A-levels serve their purpose as the most convenient method of proof of eligibility to enter University.

Beyond that, nobody cares. I myself did not even do any A-levels, and I am now doing postgraduate study at UCL after getting a first in my bachelors.
blacklight
Honestly, what people got at A-level is completely irrelevant 5-10 years later when they are adults. A-levels serve their purpose as the most convenient method of proof of eligibility to enter University.

Beyond that, nobody cares. I myself did not even do any A-levels, and I am now doing postgraduate study at UCL after getting a first in my bachelors.

Wow!! That's impressive. Where did u study for your first degree if u don't mind me asking!!!
T. Hereford
Wow!! That's impressive. Where did u study for your first degree if u don't mind me asking!!!

Open University. It most definitely turned my life around!
blacklight
Open University. It most definitely turned my life around!

Well done!! :smile:
Reply 166
SophiaKeuning
I know, it's frightening to think that these people are in charge. This is such a standard tory view, and like you said so out of touch.

I don't understand how individuals such as these can be in any position of influence over society, it's messed up.
T. Hereford
Well done!! :smile:

I'm actually crazy enough to have applied to graduate entry medicine also. I didn't get that one :frown:. Perhaps next year once my Masters is finished!
KimKallstrom

People can get DDD for their A levels for any number of reasons - none of which have any relation to their ability to teach a subject to schoolchildren.
KimKallstrom
Really? If they were so good at A level physics then how come they couldn't attain the grades that they're training their students to attain?

You are seriously suggesting that somebody with a Physics degree at 2.2 / 2.1 + wouldn't have the aptitude for A Level Physics? :eek3: .. Even if they did do poorly at A Level, if they have a degree in the subject then they've clearly turned it around.
blacklight
I'm actually crazy enough to have applied to graduate entry medicine also. I didn't get that one :frown:. Perhaps next year once my Masters is finished!

Congrats, btw. Sounds like a very interesting path! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending