The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cactus_Man
Do the Durham accommodations have kitchens? Can't find anything about that either.

Kitchen provision varies. Josephine Butler and Cuth's offer self-catering options so they have kitchens which are well equipped for producing three meals a day. All other undergraduate colleges offer only fully catered (3 meals a day, 7 days a week) accommodation so there's little need for much kitchen provision. Nonetheless, some of them, like Aidan's, have quite good kitchen facilities whilst my own College, Collingwood, has small kitchen areas with just a fridge, microwave and water heater. If it matters to you, don't hesitate to ask the College in question but the reason it's not a major part of the information is that there's not much demand when every meal is included in the accommodation charge.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Cactus_Man

Secondly, I know there's less demand for shared ensuites at Collingwood, but is it possible (and likely) that I could request shared ensuites at Hatfield? University College? St. Mary's? I can't help it; I want a college founded in the 1800's.

You can request a shared en-suite at Hatfield and if you mention that you have a medical condition they're likely to accommodate that for you. They might even give you a shared ensuite room to yourself - I know more of one person that has been given a double room to themselves.
Reply 22
The website's now back in working order after a brief Zeus virus problem. Google flagged it as a security risk while the virus was there but I'm told they're now Ok with it.
The collegiate systems sounds like a fraternity/sorority without the hazing.

Do they exist at UK universities?
Cactus_Man
How do you even go about making such a request? The people at Durham haven't been helpful at all, and on top of that, their website has been hijacked and is now a security threat to anyone who visits it. I'm so tempted to give up on this school, but the power of the cathedral draws me...

You'd do it when they do the accommodation allocations - ie. after A level results. You can ring/email/write to/probably even walk to Hatfield to ask about it before you apply if you like.

Just talk to them!!
Snookie4President
The collegiate systems sounds like a fraternity/sorority without the hazing.

Do they exist at UK universities?

Most unis have halls of residence with shared kitchens and things, sometimes catered, usually not (from what I gather). Durham colleges are similar to halls, but they're more involved with your personal your personal lives, rather than simply a place to live. Most of them are catered, there are inter-collegiate competitions (mostly sports) and stuff like that. Not sure what the fraternities/sororities are like exactly so not sure how they compare...
purple-girl
Most unis have halls of residence with shared kitchens and things, sometimes catered, usually not (from what I gather). Durham colleges are similar to halls, but they're more involved with your personal your personal lives, rather than simply a place to live. Most of them are catered, there are inter-collegiate competitions (mostly sports) and stuff like that. Not sure what the fraternities/sororities are like exactly so not sure how they compare...

I'm in a fraternity at a big state school. It seems like there are a lot of similarities. (ie: Housing, catering, inter-collegiate sports, dances, and socials).

From the pictures I see on the website it looks like a lot of fun :woo: !
Reply 28
Go for Durham. Worst comes to the worst, you only need to live in college accommodation for a year. :h:

Latest