The Student Room Group

Is Twilight just Mormon propaganda?

I have been reading the Twilight saga (got to keep up with popular culture, y'know!) but there seems to be a propagandist feel to them. For example, in Eclipse Bella wants to have sex with Edward but he refuses, on the excuse that as he's a vampire and super super strong he would probably end up killing her if they had sex while she was still human. Near the end of the book, Edward agrees to Bella's request but then Bella decides she doesn't want to and would rather 'do things right', i.e. wait until they are Mr and Mrs. Cullen. Although it is not explicitly stated, there feels like there is an anti-premarital sex vibe to the books, and I don't like it! There are definite religious undertones to Twilight and in a way it reminds me of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series (only Narnia is much better written). Stephenie Meyer has made it clear that her religious beliefs have an effect on her writing but I was wondering whether or not she consciously meant the Twilight series to be evangelism for her religion. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:facepalm2:
I just don't know what to say really.... I mean really....come on are you being serious??
Reply 2
Mormons believe in vampires? And werewolves?

No, I don't think so.
Reply 3
Grace93
I have been reading the Twilight saga (got to keep up with popular culture, y'know!) but there seems to be a propagandist feel to them. For example, in Eclipse Bella wants to have sex with Edward but he refuses, on the excuse that as he's a vampire and super super strong he would probably end up killing her if they had sex while she was still human. Near the end of the book, Edward agrees to Bella's request but then Bella decides she doesn't want to and would rather 'do things right', i.e. wait until they are Mr and Mrs. Cullen. Although it is not explicitly stated, there feels like there is an anti-premarital sex vibe to the books, and I don't like it! There are definite religious undertones to Twilight and in a way it reminds me of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series (only Narnia is much better written). Stephenie Meyer has made it clear that her religious beliefs have an effect on her writing but I was wondering whether or not she consciously meant the Twilight series to be evangelism for her religion. What do you think?

Irony.
Reply 4
Yes.
Reply 5
Eccentric
:facepalm2:
I just don't know what to say really.... I mean really....come on are you being serious??

Yes, I'm serious! Why wouldn't I be being serious? Other people have questioned this too - I googled "Twilight Mormon propaganda" and 28,600 results came up. It's not just me!
Grace93

If you had bee paying attention to the books you would have realise it is because edward was raised in the 1900's a time where pre marital sex was pretty much unheard of with a respectable couple.

I can see what you mean but no, I don't think she is trying to force her Mormon views on the youth of the world.
Grace93

Doesn't Twilight open with a Bible quote?
Either way, I don't care about the books, because they are so badly written I couldn't tolerate finishing the first one. This was after all my friends AND sisters tried to force to read it. I find Meyer to be a genuinely **** writer.
Too strong, I know. But I do have that much hate for twilight and it's god-awful writer.
I don't see how being against sex before marriage is a bad thing. It's an idea which is "popular" in America now (mostly Southern states obviously), such as with the "silver ring thing" and all that going about. However, Twilight would probably be rejected in quite a lot of hard-core religious circles (like Harry Potter was for promoting witchcraft... honestly), so I don't see how making the main character (born in the 1900s) not want to have sex before marriage makes up for all the other parts of the book being anti-religion (its about people who kill to survive, and half of the others turn into wolves every now and then!!!)
Don't know whether it's specifically Mormon propaganda, that might be too far. But I've read many credible reviews that highlight the anti-sex-before-marriage tone.
Grace93
What do you think?

I wouldn’t class it as Mormon propaganda or that she is trying to force her beliefs on the reader but I would say that her beliefs have in a way filtered into the novel.
Reply 11
jimcatinnes
If you had bee paying attention to the books you would have realise it is because edward was raised in the 1900's a time where pre marital sex was pretty much unheard of with a respectable couple.

I can see what you mean but no, I don't think she is trying to force her Mormon views on the youth of the world.

Sorry, it's hard to pay attention when most of the time I'm rolling on the floor with laughter. Twilight is superb comedy!

Yes, I do realise that Edward was brought up in an era when different societal values and morals applied (but he has had to adapt with the times to fit in with the 21st century world) but my point is that when he agrees to Bella's request at the end of Eclipse, Bella herself says no - :confused:

Maybe calling it propaganda is too strong.
Reply 12
Perplexingly_Jaded
I wouldn’t class it as Mormon propaganda or that she is trying to force her beliefs on the reader but I would say that her beliefs have in a way filtered into the novel.

I see what you mean. BTW, I noticed your avatar and I'm an Austen fan too. Was P&P&Z any good?
Grace93
Sorry, it's hard to pay attention when most of the time I'm rolling on the floor with laughter. Twilight is superb comedy!

Yes, I do realise that Edward was brought up in an era when different societal values and morals applied (but he has had to adapt with the times to fit in with the 21st century world) but my point is that when he agrees to Bella's request at the end of Eclipse, Bella herself says no - :confused:

Maybe calling it propaganda is too strong.

Well yeah there are hints but I also agree that calling it propaganda is a tad strong, its more of a mormon persuasion.
Reply 14
Does it matter if it is? What's wrong with waiting until you're married? o_O

I'm not a Mormon btw, but in general they are lovely people, and they live good lives. It's not going to give the teenage girls it's aimed at a complex or something. It's a message they'll have heard before and will likely hear again.

The reason they shouldn't read it is because the books are crap, not because they might have Mormon influence. :P
Reply 16
Yeah. I read the book (regrettably), and I got hardcore 'NO SEX!' vibes.
As well as being self-indulgent, the Twilight books were also self-righteous.
Give it 20 years time and there'll be loads of 35 year old virgins roaming about, still waiting for 'their Edward' to come and sweep them off into the horizon.
Stephanie Meyer will have at least reduced the population of the Earth, as said fangirls will obviously never produce. But never mind! They always have the freezeable Edward shiny dildo to tide them over! :woo:

EDIT: In answer to the question :p: I felt it was Meyer trying to force her own beliefs on her readers.
Reply 17
It's moron propaganda, I know that much,
Reply 18
Grace93
Yes, I'm serious! Why wouldn't I be being serious? Other people have questioned this too - I googled "Twilight Mormon propaganda" and 28,600 results came up. It's not just me!

I googled "catnip propaganda" and 17,100 results came up (conclusion: there's a lot of **** in google results)

Seriously - I don't care about twilight
Reply 19
py0alb
It's moron propaganda, I know that much,

:congrats:

Latest

Trending

Trending