The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Grace93
I see what you mean. BTW, I noticed your avatar and I'm an Austen fan too. Was P&P&Z any good?

Basically she’s developed upon the vampire genre and has moved away from the archetypical figure, like Dracula, Carmilla etc. Most vampire novels are a reflection upon society and the authors own beliefs. For example in Dracula, Stoker picked up on the 'new woman' and the oppression of female sexuality. So as I said before, I suppose Meyer is just filtering in her own beliefs and views, not necessarily trying to advertise it or convert people. I also find it highly interesting that she never did any research on the vampire genre (she’s never read Dracula :eek:) before writing Twilight. Sorry for the ramble :o:

Yay, Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was quite fun. You can’t take it too seriously though. It’s basically the original novel but with added extra bits of zombie action. A lot of it is a play on words of the original. The opening line of 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains' is genius :p:
well i dont know anything about the twilight series - but as someone who writes books myself i'd say its only natural that if the author herself has those feelings (if she does i dunno) its only natural that her beliefs would come across in the books. She's not making you believe it - just i dont see why some beliefs are ok to express and others arent to some people - if she believes that let her - if you dont like it dont read the books

this post sounds like its turned horribly harsh :p: sowwy :blush:
Should read: Is Twilight just unreadable drivel?

The answer would of course be yes.
Reply 23
I don't know if propaganda is too strong a word - but I personally am disturbed by it's message.

I felt like I was being told that the MOST important thing in the world is to hold on to your first love. Even if he's a possesive stalker. It's okay the Edward shoves Bella around a bit, he's doing it for her own good. And New Moon, when she was catatonic for however long, that's also okay girls - if your boys leave you, you should become depressed up until the point at which you throw yourself over a cliff because without a man in your life: because without him you are nothing. Bella not going to college bothers me too - it seems as though her only goal in life is to love Edward and to serve him. All the girl does is cook, fall over and need saving. How is she a positive role model?

That's just my interpretation, I'm sure many girls found Bella empowering (how exactly I'd like to know.) If I had a teenage daughter, I would never stop her from reading any book, but before she read Twilight she would recieve a long lecture on how the most important things in life are not her virginity, serving men or obsessive love.
Reply 24
Grace93
I have been reading the Twilight saga (got to keep up with popular culture, y'know!) but there seems to be a propagandist feel to them. For example, in Eclipse Bella wants to have sex with Edward but he refuses, on the excuse that as he's a vampire and super super strong he would probably end up killing her if they had sex while she was still human. Near the end of the book, Edward agrees to Bella's request but then Bella decides she doesn't want to and would rather 'do things right', i.e. wait until they are Mr and Mrs. Cullen. Although it is not explicitly stated, there feels like there is an anti-premarital sex vibe to the books, and I don't like it! There are definite religious undertones to Twilight and in a way it reminds me of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series (only Narnia is much better written). Stephenie Meyer has made it clear that her religious beliefs have an effect on her writing but I was wondering whether or not she consciously meant the Twilight series to be evangelism for her religion. What do you think?

How can you even compare twilight and narnia. twilight is a mush of secular trash with no clear plot direction and narnia is a very carefully written story that is pretty much the bible written in terms of animals. To suggest that twilight is religous propaganda is a bit daft to be honest. Theres way too much sexual tension and the like... however, having seen meyers quality of writing, I admit she could have been trying anything.
Reply 25
Perplexingly_Jaded
I also find it highly interesting that she never did any research on the vampire genre (she’s never read Dracula :eek:) before writing Twilight. Sorry for the ramble :o:

:

have you ever watched interveiw with a vampire? thats where she nicked half the ideas from.
Grace93
Yes, I'm serious! Why wouldn't I be being serious? Other people have questioned this too - I googled "Twilight Mormon propaganda" and 28,600 results came up. It's not just me!

How many of those results were a mormon propped up in uganda having sex in the sunrise?
I'm just hoping not too many girls try to emulate Bella's lack of any sort of goals or ambitions outside of getting a man.
Reply 28
obscurename
I'm just hoping not too many girls try to emulate Bella's lack of any sort of goals or ambitions outside of getting a man.

If I hadn't already given my 'rep' away, you would recieve it for this.
*crosses fingers in the same hope*
Hensona
have you ever watched interveiw with a vampire? thats where she nicked half the ideas from.

Yes, I have watched it and read the novel. Yeh there is definite similarities, inparticularly Louis. Anne Rice is another pivotal figure in the changing representation of the vampire. Meyer has admitted to never reading vampire works and isn’t into the whole ‘horror genre’. I’ve also read somewhere that Meyer's 'vampire' is the reflection of growing up (teenagerhood).
Reply 30
think someone really does need to cut down on the bongs
twlight just reinforces what a lot of men know about women/girls.

They want to be taken hard, long and bitten/nibbled in the process.
Grace93
I have been reading the Twilight saga (got to keep up with popular culture, y'know!) but there seems to be a propagandist feel to them. For example, in Eclipse Bella wants to have sex with Edward but he refuses, on the excuse that as he's a vampire and super super strong he would probably end up killing her if they had sex while she was still human. Near the end of the book, Edward agrees to Bella's request but then Bella decides she doesn't want to and would rather 'do things right', i.e. wait until they are Mr and Mrs. Cullen. Although it is not explicitly stated, there feels like there is an anti-premarital sex vibe to the books, and I don't like it! There are definite religious undertones to Twilight and in a way it reminds me of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series (only Narnia is much better written). Stephenie Meyer has made it clear that her religious beliefs have an effect on her writing but I was wondering whether or not she consciously meant the Twilight series to be evangelism for her religion. What do you think?

I think it was Mark Kermode that said Twilight is all about abstinence.

Reply 33
Hensona

Oh god, the scene with the poodles! If she put that in Twilight, it would have ruined Edward's halo for sure :biggrin:
The concept you are looking for is hegemony
Reply 35
Do you think Twilight made anyone go Mormon?
Reply 36
Annora
Do you think Twilight made anyone go Mormon?

Somehow, I doubt it! It's more likely to give 13-year-old girls 'Cullen syndrome' (Urban Dictionary definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cullen%20syndrome).
Reply 37
Grace93
Somehow, I doubt it! It's more likely to give 13-year-old girls 'Cullen syndrome' (Urban Dictionary definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cullen%20syndrome).

Is there an effective treatment for the condition?

I'm pretty sure I'm immune, but my 13 yo cousin may not be! :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Annora
Is there an effective treatment for the condition?

I'm pretty sure I'm immune, but my 13 yo cousin may not be! :s-smilie:

Er, no, probably not! She'll grow out of it, eventually! I remember when I was 13 I was obsessed with Harry Potter. That phase passed (thankfully. I think I'd be a bit worried if I was still obsessed with it!)

I thought I was immune, but I think I've developed a little crush on the actor who plays Edward Cullen. :wink:
Perplexingly_Jaded

Yay, Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was quite fun. You can’t take it too seriously though. It’s basically the original novel but with added extra bits of zombie action. A lot of it is a play on words of the original. The opening line of 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains' is genius :p:

I'm interested to know why Jane Austen is one of your favourite authors? Personally, I find her writing dull, tedious and repetitive, particularly Pride and Prejudice :s-smilie: I'm not trying to judge your literary taste at all; I'm genuinely curious :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending