The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SilverDoe21
I'm interested to know why Jane Austen is one of your favourite authors? Personally, I find her writing dull, tedious and repetitive, particularly Pride and Prejudice :s-smilie: I'm not trying to judge your literary taste at all; I'm genuinely curious :o:

I know you weren't asking me, but I just wanted to say that I find JA's writing very funny. Her sarky, dry sense of humour appeals to me and it is especially amusing if you have an understanding of the history of the period in which she wrote, especially its moral rules and social etiquette. JA is one of my favourite authors because of her wonderfully ironic and witty style of writing. I just love her style, and I think she has a marvellous insight into human nature and human relationships. But each to her own. :smile:
Grace93
I know you weren't asking me, but I just wanted to say that I find JA's writing very funny. Her sarky, dry sense of humour appeals to me and it is especially amusing if you have an understanding of the history of the period in which she wrote, especially its moral rules and social etiquette. JA is one of my favourite authors because of her wonderfully ironic and witty style of writing. I just love her style, and I think she has a marvellous insight into human nature and human relationships. But each to her own. :smile:

I was just curious :biggrin: And I can see where you're coming from with the writing style, I think it's just the stories that don't interest me. But yeah, each to their own :smile:
SilverDoe21
I'm interested to know why Jane Austen is one of your favourite authors? Personally, I find her writing dull, tedious and repetitive, particularly Pride and Prejudice :s-smilie: I'm not trying to judge your literary taste at all; I'm genuinely curious :o:

Lulz, I understand. Everyone has different literary tastes. I for one cannot stand Sir Walter Scott :frown: Long winded, agonizing reads. I think Austen is a particular taste. They are usually known as ‘comedies of manners’ and she basically pokes fun at society and its social rules and stigmas etc. I’m really interested in the Regency period (the period of indulgence) so for her novels to be set and wrote at the time is entertaining for me. Plus the different heroines she has, who are all different (and Elizabeth Bennet is far by the best in my opinion). It is full of wit and sarcasm, which I really like :smile:
Perplexingly_Jaded
Lulz, I understand. Everyone has different literary tastes. I for one cannot stand Sir Walter Scott :frown: Long winded, agonizing reads. I think Austen is a particular taste. They are usually known as ‘comedies of manners’ and she basically pokes fun at society and its social rules and stigmas etc. I’m really interested in the Regency period (the period of indulgence) so for her novels to be set and wrote at the time is entertaining for me. Plus the different heroines she has, who are all different (and Elizabeth Bennet is far by the best in my opinion). It is full of wit and sarcasm, which I really like :smile:

That actually makes sense...I can understand why someone would find the wit and sarcasm entertaining; I usually would. I just found the plot boring. Ball after ball after ball :rolleyes: And I couldn't help thinking "just fall in love with Mr Darcy already! We all know you're going to do it..." :p: I find her characters fairly irritating haha.
SilverDoe21
That actually makes sense...I can understand why someone would find the wit and sarcasm entertaining; I usually would. I just found the plot boring. Ball after ball after ball :rolleyes: And I couldn't help thinking "just fall in love with Mr Darcy already! We all know you're going to do it..." :p: I find her characters fairly irritating haha.

I did a module on the Austen novels at Uni and my tutor said something like “Austen’s heroines are uptight and sexually repressed. They need a bit of Byron inserted into them” :giggle:. I can totally understand why people would find them boring, I mean, my least favourite of Austen’s works is Mansfield Park. Fanny (yes that is her name :lol: ) is rather dire and such a wimp. In Pride and Prejudice I loved the verbal sparring between Lizzie and Darcy :o: and Mrs Bennet is such an over the top character. But, as I always say, different people like different things :smile:
Perplexingly_Jaded
I did a module on the Austen novels at Uni and my tutor said something like “Austen’s heroines are uptight and sexually repressed. They need a bit of Byron inserted into them” :giggle:. I can totally understand why people would find them boring, I mean, my least favourite of Austen’s works is Mansfield Park. Fanny (yes that is her name :lol: ) is rather dire and such a wimp. In Pride and Prejudice I loved the verbal sparring between Lizzie and Darcy :o: and Mrs Bennet is such an over the top character. But, as I always say, different people like different things :smile:

:teehee: I think Austen is quite good at describing relationships, but I sometimes feel I need something darker. Give me a bit of Wuthering Heights anyday :love: But yeah, the world would be a very dull place if everyone liked the same things :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending