The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Profesh- i have explained everything.
Also im not retarded, just incredibly lazy and unmotivated.
Reply 21
So it's all your own fault? I would come clean and start again only if you are going to work.
boredgirl1712

What do you study? Where do you study?
There is no easy way out of this. You are a complete and utter abysmal failure, probably not worthy of living.
I think you're being a bit overdramatic by saying you should die, etc. Nobody deserves to die for things like this - maybe seek out some counselling if you're genuinely feeling that way so your thinking is a bit healthier. You can't be expected to achieve anything with an attitude that just makes you want to die or quit as soon as something goes wrong - instead, a break to sort your head out and using it as an incentive to work harder should be your goal.

It sounds like you're really not trying at all which suggests you don't care about your degree, or studying in general. Do you need a degree for the current job you're doing? Could you not work your way up somehow given that you've managed to get it? I mean, at least you have that as opposed to a degree and nothing else - so that's better than nothing. If you haven't spoken to your tutor much about what's been going on, I'd suggest you make use of him/her - that's what they're there for, and they may be able to provide more useful advice as to what you should do next and where they think you might be going wrong.

As far as other people are concerned, just tell them your course wasn't for you and you want to pursue your job, and take a break from education? Personally, I would have done so after failing the first year which might be a bit more believable rather than waiting the full three years, but that can't be helped. It just seems as though you're wasting your own time here. And your parents are your parents - they should love you no matter what, even if they do feel disappointed with you at first. As someone else pointed out, you're just spinning yourself a web of lies which will just make things more difficult to get out of... I can't believe you managed to get away with not telling them about a repeat year, but I guess if you're away from home it's a bit more understandable. They could have provided a bit more support when you were feeling low, but it seems you just got used to your lazy lifestyle rather than actually doing any work. It's best to pay the price now though and avoiding any further problems - you've already used up a few years which could have been better spent, but I guess it's all part of the lesson.
I'd be more sympathetic if you hadn't lied and confessed it's all because you couldn't be bothered to work. :erm:
Reply 26
boredgirl1712
Right,
long story, just had my second year results back and i have failed. I also failed first year and had to repeat but did not tell my parents. i also did a repeat year in A levels.
In may of this year i told my parents that i will probs have to do another year to make up for the first year repeat they were pisssed off but kind of accepted it. But now im in this mess because i have failed second year. I just seriously do not know what to do.
i really need a science degree of some sort because i have a part time job which i can take further with it and i really enjoy it. Also i dont thik i can start another degree because of student finance ! (they wont finance me forever ).
Basically i dont know what to do with my life and what to tell my parents. i cant tell the truth because i know my parents will hate me forever.
also i feel stupid doing this second year for a second time im just an all round massive failure and dont know how to correct this!

sorry can i ask you a question irrelevant to your thread..when you failed a year at university do you still have to pay the years tuition fees. I.e when you repeated the first year you have payed double £3225 fees = £6450 just for the first year
On a completely flippant note you seem to enjoy doing things twice.

So you were hugely unmotivated despite knowing that your parents had high expectations and it would help you progress in work. You're motivated now because student finance wont fund another year or because everyone's expecting a graduation gown and you'll be showing them a dunce sheet? Not a lot you can do other than attempt to repeal the grades, which given your track record from current posts would be as much use as a chocolate teapot. Tell them, have some rest out of education, work, later on when you're motivated enough to actually do your work perhaps take out a career development loan, or save up money to go back and do a degree you're interested in. All you're going to get on TSR is a whole load of snarky comments, some nicely dressed up with flowery words but all essentially restating the fact you were an eejit.

Edit: To make this slightly more constructive I do think people are falling into the trap that university/further education is a must for everyone. It isn't. If you're not motivated by academic work go out there and be proactive with volunteering, make contact with people and explain your stance without uttering the phrase "I mucked up", perhaps mentioning that you felt much more at home in the work environment than university, anything that makes it sound like the issue was more the fact you're practical rather than academic rather than academically lazy. You just have to start networking, taking the best things you can from what you've done of your degree so far or even just point out that you have achieved one of those certificate things they give out to people who successfully complete so many units. Don't dwell on it, but don't expect much sympathy from somewhere pumped to the rafters with people wanting Firsts from Oxford.
I'd do some volunteering or something quick to fill up the huge gap on the ol' CV.
University isn't for everyone, and certainly not for those who "don't know what I want to do", or "don't know why I go to uni". WAY too many people live their lives by the trend of the apparent majority and have no sense of individual purpose and motivation. This leads as you have found out, to disappointment; and the sad thing is that you can't blame anyone.

However, I would disagree that you have "mesed up my life". It's up to you to make it work. You have only messed up from the viewpoint of the same people who made you think you had to go to uni. How about you start being a main character in your own life?
Reply 30
Thanks guys, the majority of the more recent comments were helpful, particularly from stressworthy and curwhibble. I don’t want sympathy and I’m pleased that I have got some honest advice. I am still not sure what I’m going to do but I’m definitely going to keep my part time job. I’ve spoke to some people at uni and I’m going to appeal so I can try and do referrals and see what happens. I did have to pay the fees for the repeat years which is awful to think about! Thanks guys. P.S. didn’t bloody realise I was getting marked on the standard of my writing. But now I know.
So you have had to do an extra year at A level, first year and now second year. Harsh words coming up - but you're obviously not that academic. If you could properly cope with the work, you would have sorted yourself out after the first year of re-takes. People who have failed one year for whatever reason, don't go on to fail another 2 years if they have got the ability in the first place.
You don't NEED to get a science degree, your parents won't hate you, but will obviously be majorly pissed off with you for lying to them. Even if you can get another 2 years financing, you're going to come out with a pass or a third most likely. Talk to your parents and explain properly so that you're unhappy and then get out in the real world and get a full-time job. This stupid expectation that everyone has to win prizes and everyone has to have a degree these days is so wrong. It's obviously not right for you. Carrying on doing something that is too hard and is totally wrong for you means you are carrying on failing and feeling awful. Change your life so that you are doing something that you succeed at - in the long term you'll feel much better.
Are you 'bored'. :ahee:

Just try harder next time, or don't continue and find something else.

Please excuse the grammar nazis and Profesh suck-ups on this forum. :/
Reply 33
boredgirl1712

No: you've described everything. Assuming you aren't retarded, I'm sure you'll appreciate this rather vital distinction.
Reply 34
I think the two main issues you need to look into and address would be your work ethic and your funding options. Concerning the latter, I think your best bet would be to simply ring up Student Finance, explain your situation, and see what advice they can give you - on the off chance that there is something specific to your situation that functions as a 'get out' clause.

This is unlikely, however. Failing that, if you do still want to attain a degree, I think you ought to consider living at home and studying with the Open University. You'd still have to front up the tuition fees, but it would still be a much easier ride financially than if you were to try and move away to another university - you may even be able to transfer credits over to the OU to shorten your time with them. The challenge of this option would lie in the fact that it would require a lot of motivation, as the degree would be through self-directed learning.

This would be where the first issue really comes in - you've got to sit down and ask yourself whether you truly believe you have the appropriate work ethic to perform well in higher education. If you do, I hope it all goes well for you. If not, there will always be other options.

P.S. I personally don't know a lot about how the army funds education for their members, so I haven't commented on it. I'm sure that this is a viable option however, if you're willing to commit to them.
Reply 35
your continued failings at university and school suggest that, assuming a 'hard', non-mickey mouse, you aren't cognitively capable of higher education, or you don't try worth ****. Assuming you are doing a mickey-mouse degree, you must actually be the laziest person in Britain. Drop out. Its clearly not for you. I don't see why British taxpayers should waste anymore money on a dissapointment such as yourself. You need to start looking down avenues such as: The military, vocational training etc.
Reply 36
The British tax payers are not wasting a penny on me; I’m paying every penny back. I’m doing biomed at a Russell group uni, which some might say is Mickey Mouse but it is quite difficult. It’s mainly the labs and assignments that I have messed up on or just not written up.
Reply 37
boredgirl1712
The British tax payers are not wasting a penny on me; I’m paying every penny back. I’m doing biomed at a Russell group uni, which some might say is Mickey Mouse but it is quite difficult. It’s mainly the labs and assignments that I have messed up on or just not written up.

Biomed is not mickey mouse at all.

It is clearly too challenging for you
Reply 38
Firstly I would take responsibility for what's happened moaning about it, and beating yourself up about it isn't going to change a thing. I would question whether you have a real interest in the subject if you found studying so un-inviting though. Most people with a real interest in their subject enjoy the studying. If you are serious about following your chosen career then I would suggest you get a full time job and sign up to study at the Open University. Yes you will have to fund it yourself, but then again perhaps that will make you consider how much you really want it, and if your paying for it you may develop a different attitude. I am sure that all your parents want is for you to grow up and stop looking to others to fund and solve the situation you find yourself in. If you go to them with a plan of how you're going to sort it out rather than to ask them for more money to sort out your mess I think you may find they have a totally different view of you, and all your misdemeanors of the past will be forgiven.
Dwelling on the past never sorted anything out. Grow up and take responsibility for your own direction only that way will you find inner satisfaction. Good Luck
notanumber
So you have had to do an extra year at A level, first year and now second year. Harsh words coming up - but you're obviously not that academic.

Shadowman786
Frankly, Uni .... doesn't sound the right thing for you. -

:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending