The Student Room Group

I actually really don't want to do A levels anymore :/

I've just finished my AS year, and I'm not expecting good grades in August. I was thinking of changing sixth forms and resitting the year, but I realised I'm not going to be happy doing A levels wherever I go. I want to do something more useful and more practical and hands on, but I'm not very good at practical stuff so I don't know what I should do next year. :/

Scroll to see replies

Why not just finish your A levels and go from there? You might be better off looking for a more practical degree afterwards than switching now.
My advice? if you don't like A levels then drop out of education now because you've got 4 more years of complete and utter **** - the earlier you get out (that is if you want to get out) the better it is. Go do something like an apprenticeship which is more hands on if you like that kinda stuff

That's what i would have done had it not been for the parents -.-

At the end of the day, education means **** all and accounts for **** all
I felt the exact same thing throughout the whole of AS/A2 years...and now it's over. Just try and enjoy it, it's useful to have a basic education and you can always go and do hands-on things straight after if you wish :smile:
Reply 4
wait till your results....might suprise yourself
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
My advice? if you don't like A levels then drop out of education now because you've got 4 more years of complete and utter **** - the earlier you get out (that is if you want to get out) the better it is. Go do something like an apprenticeship which is more hands on if you like that kinda stuff

I'm not very good at practical work, so I'm worried I wouldn't be very good at an apprenticeship.
My parents are desperate for me to go to uni as well :/
a-levels are a drag, and boring and hardd, a2 will be a lot harder..... get out of it while you can :P
Mastermind007
I felt the exact same thing throughout the whole of AS/A2 years...and now it's over.

that's what you think :p: you've now got 3 years of economics which is as **** as A levels if not more lol
that's what you think :p: you've now got 3 years of economics which is just a **** lol

Lmao i knew someone would pick up on that!
I do love my subject though so it should be fine. But...i'll be learning practical skills at the same time so it's all good :smile:
Reply 9

BS much?
Mastermind007
Lmao i knew someone would pick up on that!
I do love my subject though so it should be fine. But...i'll be learning practical skills at the same time so it's all good :smile:

doesn't work like that though lol, i like it at A level, enjoyed the classes the subject etc etc then as soon as i got to uni FML - all my mates are the same as well both on the course and on different courses
tehforum
BS much?

Not really, that's actually what i would honestly have done if i had any control over what i could do rather than doing what my parents tell me to do when it comes to my life and education.

Why waste more years doing something you don't want to do? if you know it's not for you why not just drop out and save yourself those 3 years of pointless struggle and pursue something you want to do with your life? Go do an apprenticeship, learn a skill, do whatever you feel you want to do. And by education i mean traditional education eg GCSEs, A levels, Uni in traditional subjects such as maths english etc etc

And education does mean **** all and account for nothing. A 1st or a 2:1 from oxbridge will look brilliant on your CV no doubt but if you've got no social skills then you're not going to get past your interview. On top of that, having the degree doesn't mean you're going to earn more money than someone who is "uneducated". I know plenty of people who are uneducated who are making money and living as comfortable lives, if not more, than those who have slogged their way through school
Mastermind007
I felt the exact same thing throughout the whole of AS/A2 years...and now it's over. Just try and enjoy it, it's useful to have a basic education and you can always go and do hands-on things straight after if you wish :smile:

Same here, I really wanted to a BTEC in health studies in college but put it off because it was really far away. After AS I hated 6th form so nearly swapped to college but Chemistry and Sociology clashed in their timetable and History and Biology clashed :s-smilie:

I've finished now but I always wish I'd done something different to make the most of it, I feel like I've wasted two years not being happy in 6th form and doing A Levels. Wish I'd swapped when I had the chance.

@ OP

Could you do a BTEC course in college?
There's loads in.. Health Studies, Social Care, Business, Travel and Tourism, Fashion Design, Sports.. depending on what your college offers. It's all coursework so no exams at all, and you get to go on placements. I know someone who did health studies and got to do loads of different placemenets in a nursery, school and nursing home. So it really helps you decide what you wanna do in the future.
It can get you straight into a job or you can get into uni with a BTEC :smile:

If you hate 6th form and really don't wanna go back for A2s then don't.
I went back and the first term was so miserable, I really didn't want to be there and my only friend was never in so I was always on my own. Then she left and I made new friends so it got better, but I still wish I had gone to college.

Good luck :smile:
And education does mean **** all and account for nothing. A 1st or a 2:1 from oxbridge will look brilliant on your CV no doubt but if you've got no social skills then you're not going to get past your interview. On top of that, having the degree doesn't mean you're going to earn more money than someone who is "uneducated". I know plenty of people who are uneducated who are making money and living as comfortable lives, if not more, than those who have slogged their way through school

In some jobs, when they receive applications they filter those without degrees straight to the bin so in some cases you don't get an interview if you don't have a degree. Period.
ExcessNeo
In some jobs, when they receive applications they filter those without degrees straight to the bin so in some cases you don't get an interview if you don't have a degree. Period.

lol yes i know that but if you know you don't want to go through traditional education for a traditional degree you're not going to start applying for jobs which specify for a degree are you? But of course, logic doesn't apply for some people
BabyGirl92
Same here, I really wanted to a BTEC in health studies in college but put it off because it was really far away. After AS I hated 6th form so nearly swapped to college but Chemistry and Sociology clashed in their timetable and History and Biology clashed :s-smilie:

I've finished now but I always wish I'd done something different to make the most of it, I feel like I've wasted two years not being happy in 6th form and doing A Levels. Wish I'd swapped when I had the chance.

@ OP

Could you do a BTEC course in college?
There's loads in.. Health Studies, Social Care, Business, Travel and Tourism, Fashion Design, Sports.. depending on what your college offers. It's all coursework so no exams at all, and you get to go on placements. I know someone who did health studies and got to do loads of different placemenets in a nursery, school and nursing home. So it really helps you decide what you wanna do in the future.
It can get you straight into a job or you can get into uni with a BTEC :smile:

If you hate 6th form and really don't wanna go back for A2s then don't.
I went back and the first term was so miserable, I really didn't want to be there and my only friend was never in so I was always on my own. Then she left and I made new friends so it got better, but I still wish I had gone to college.

Good luck :smile:

They offer some BTECs at my sixth form, it doesn't look like something I fancy much (although they only offer business, sport or ICT at my sixth form).
Reply 16
Well that's the thing, I am sure the OP can do some sort of education.... however if they don't like traditional educational, and is not very good with practical skills, what kind of job prospects do you propose?

Also, we're missing the point, the OP thinks that he/she has done bad. Let's wait and see.
(:Becca(:
They offer some BTECs at my sixth form, it doesn't look like something I fancy much (although they only offer business, sport or ICT at my sixth form).

lol what kinda stuff do you want to do? you haven't really specified what you want to do :p:
tehforum
Well that's the thing, I am sure the OP can do some sort of education.... however if they don't like traditional educational, and is not very good with practical skills, what kind of job prospects do you propose?

Also, we're missing the point, the OP thinks that he/she has done bad. Let's wait and see.

I don't know what i would propose as i'm not the OP therefore i have no idea what they'd want to do. Yes OP also said she thinks she's done bad - but is that really the point? why do something you don't want to do. I went through A levels pretty fine and came out with alright grades and i'm doing alright in uni but it's not to say i enjoy it - if i had the chance i would have avoided those things altogether

She's said she doesn't want to do A levels and if she really doesn't want to do A levels, then why should she have to continue because that's what the general public see as the norm and only successful way in life?
Reply 19
I felt the same when i was doing my AS level...and i was disappointed with my results and i REALLY wanted to just quit or to go to a new sixth form centre....but u know what? you just gotta get thru it...
its easy to say **** education...but there will be a time when u could regret it...so i think u should just work your way towards completing ur A levels and just get it done with....im done with mine and i couldnt be happier...so just try.. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending