The Student Room Group

Does anyone feel sorry for shops like Superdrug

Ok, so i went shopping during the week to buy a skin toner at Superdrug after reading reviews online, so anywhere i did head up finding it priced at £3.39. I bought it but when i came out of the shop i then went across the shopping centre to Wilkinson, where i then so the same product priced at £1.95, i then throught what a bargin after i had just paid £3.39 for it at Superdrug. Anywhere i then ended up returning the skin toner i had just bought to Superdrug within mintutes of buying it and then went back to Wilkinson to purchase the same product but at £1.95.

so this kind of lead me to feel sorry for shops such as Superdrug and other retailers that are losing out to discount shops usually selling the same products but at cheaper prices.

My question is do you feel sorry for these shops or do just think what a bargin and walk away without caring about them losing revenues.

Scroll to see replies

No. They should make their products cheaper. :tongue:
Reply 2
If the discount stores can survive charging the lower amount, I'm sure Superdrug could.

It's called a mark up.

:smile:
Reply 3
thedude78
If the discount stores can survive charging the lower amount, I'm sure Superdrug could.

It's called a mark up.

:smile:

This. I get the majority of my toiletries from Home Bargains because they are cheaper than places like Boots and Superdrug.
Nope they should have a clearer business strategy. Businesses fail if they aren't competitive enough, and superdrug is a huge chainstore and could easily compete if they tried. I only feel sorry for small, local businesses who don't have the same resources and don't have much of a chance.
Reply 5
I felt sorry for Superdrug today. I needed cotton wool pads whilst I was out but there was nowhere to park by Superdrug! I went to Tesco instead and bought some strawberries (and raspberries) as well as my cotton wool pads.

If there were spaces my £1 would have been spent there, instead I spent more in Tesco.

:indiff:
Reply 6
I always go to Superdrug to get my essentials and shizzle.

But only like once a month, I just do a big shop and buy everything I need there and then. :smile:
Do I feel sorry for a chain superstore? :rofl:
Reply 8
When I started working at Boots they sent me to an 'introduction to the company' course, which lasted all day, and part of that was justifying why we charge more for products than other stores. It was basically something like, we want to be seen as a more efficient, professional store with higher standards which is why we charge more... they made the comparisons to supermarkets, Waitrose costs more than a shop at Aldi etc.

Don't feel sorry for companies like Boots and Superdrug though, they make an absolute fortune, much more than the discount stores. :smile:
Reply 9
Kaykiie
I felt sorry for Superdrug today. I needed cotton wool pads whilst I was out but there was nowhere to park by Superdrug! I went to Tesco instead and bought some strawberries (and raspberries) as well as my cotton wool pads.

If there were spaces my £1 would have been spent there, instead I spent more in Tesco.

:indiff:

Irrelevant but....American Dad FTW! :five:
Yeah I can't sleep at night due to concern about them.
Reply 11
Nayberay
Irrelevant but....American Dad FTW! :five:

It's so full of :awesome:

Just got the 5th season boxset :love:
Why would I feel sorry for a store that over-prices its items? :lolwut: It's nowhere near as expensive as Boots though, I shop in Superdrug quite a bit.
Reply 13
No, I don't feel sorry for Superdrug (in particular) at all. Their customer service is awful with the salespeople usually acting rudely or suspiciously towards customers, and there's no loyalty scheme (or at least there wasn't last time I checked). Their product lines offer very little exclusivity and so there's basically no reason to shop there.

HOWEVER, I take your general point of feeling sorry for retailers who are undercut by discount or online retailers because they are really fighting a losing battle.
Reply 14
Kaykiie
It's so full of :awesome:

Just got the 5th season boxset :love:

Awesome-o! :awesome:

I was watching Vol 5 at work today. Soo much win! :biggrin:
I wouldn't say I feel sorry for them, nope. They should lower their prices and then I'll give them my money. In Boots/Superdrug my shampoo and conditioner would come to just over £4 together. In Wilkinson's I can pick both up for £2 exactly. Why would I spend the extra? I'm a student after all!

I feel sorry for the staff in said shops though, they must be bored out of their brains. It's always dead when I go in there. Plus, they always look at me like I'm going to rob the place - not good. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
xmarilynx
Why would I feel sorry for a store that over-prices its items? :lolwut: It's nowhere near as expensive as Boots though, I shop in Superdrug quite a bit.

couldn't agree more :P
I've always hated superdrug. No
Loyalty scheme, the staff are always miserable AND clueless.
Reply 18
Nayberay
Awesome-o! :awesome:

I was watching Vol 5 at work today. Soo much win! :biggrin:

I didn't have a TV for my 1st year at University so I basically just watched my American Dad boxsets :love:
Err let me think... NO.

Quick Reply

Latest