Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ACCA training contract salary

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been through the full process of applying for a training contract in a small, well established accountancy firm including: The usual cv, interview stage and two weeks trial/work experience.

I have just graduated with a 2.1 degree in Business Finance although this firm generally takes on A level students. This means I have about 4 exemptions from the exam process.

Here is the main problem. I have been looking at "procpects" and a survey said the training contract salaries range from £14,300 up to £25,000 depending on location.
    However, in my interview I was told that the salary would be about £10,000. I have had a final interview and it looks like i will get the job in september. I would like some advice as to whether to try and negotiate a better salary or try elsewhere?:eek3:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    why not try 1 of the big 4? some of them have graduate programmes that train you up with a better salary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend is currently doing ACCA and he suggests that you take the job subject to a sliding salary in line with your progress through the exams....maybe £500 per foundation exam and £1000 per professional exam.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes some smaller firms start on a salary as low as that

However most give you an increase on passing exams and qualifying

Anyway whatever happens unless you have a better offer just take the job - the job climate is difficult atm - in a years time with some experience and exams done you can look for something else if it isn't working out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you are in the country as well which you don't specify. £10k in London would be pretty poor but in the northern areas of England it would be much more realistic.

It sounds like they are offering you the same sort of salary as they would offer a school leaver, and on that basis I would try & negotiate upwards. Remember that as a graduate you are bringing them more skills than an A-level school leaver would, and you are costing them less because you have exam exemptions. Even if your degree was totally unrelated (which it isn't), your brain has been 'stretched' more through doing a degree and you will have been exposed to more challenging situations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just don't forget to dump them once you finish your training
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for the really good advice. In reply to some of the feeds; I live in swansea and leaving after the training may not be so simple as the contract tighs you in for two years after qualification. If you do leave they can take a percentage of the training costs out of your last pay cheque!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't say about Swansea, but overall it does not sound like a good deal to me. Good luck anyway!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It seems like the right salary for swansea

Pretty much all companies will have 'stay for x years or pay back some of our costs' clause - so it would be same elsewhere too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont think all of them have that clause, im pretty sure Deloitte dont. The only leaving clause they have concerns repayment of any remaining interest free loan amount they offer new starters, which sounds reasonable to me. To be honest, it sounds like you are getting a pretty raw deal from the firm.

Try any multinational accountancy firm and you'll get a much much better deal. Some of them may still have graduate recruitment positions open.

What may be a more convenient option for you is to do a year's worth of work and study with this Swansea firm and then migrate to a larger accountancy firm to finish off the remaining two years of the course. Do the knowledge papers with these people and incur any contract breakout charges, then move on to a better firm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain_Sl0w)
    I dont think all of them have that clause, im pretty sure Deloitte dont. The only leaving clause they have concerns repayment of any remaining interest free loan amount they offer new starters, which sounds reasonable to me. To be honest, it sounds like you are getting a pretty raw deal from the firm.

Try any multinational accountancy firm and you'll get a much much better deal. Some of them may still have graduate recruitment positions open.

What may be a more convenient option for you is to do a year's worth of work and study with this Swansea firm and then migrate to a larger accountancy firm to finish off the remaining two years of the course. Do the knowledge papers with these people and incur any contract breakout charges, then move on to a better firm.
    Totally agree!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would be surprised if they didn't - i.e. PwC definitely have them as does every other firm I have seen contracts for

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2010
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.