The Student Room Group

Dropped out, how to get back on same course??

I dropped out halfway through a 3 year course. I was made up being on the course, then I had major surgery during my first year and just scrapped through with a pass. I then went into the second year and nothing was the same I was a wreck, I had anxiety problems, was on medication, developed depression and mid way through the 2nd year I left and had to have more surgery.
The problem is I just left I didn’t tell my tutors the extent of how difficult things were, which in retrospect was a pretty rash decision, at the time I just had to get out and get away.

I've been out for a year and a half, I've pulled myself together, I'm back to full health and fitter than ever. I worked a high profile temp job relating to the degree course and have a very good reference from the CEO of the company, I'm much more mature and focused now and I realize it was a big mistake and I'd like to go back and start the 2nd year over but before I contact the course I wanted to get some advice as to how I should go about it since I left the course so abruptly and how I should play it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, F :hmmmm:
Reply 1
Send an email to your course tutor and explain the situation. You passed your first year so I'm assuming you can start your second year. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick response. I suppose it's fairly common for a small percentage to leave in the first year of uni so in theory there would be space in the 2nd year.
I also remember someone had failed their second year and was resitting it in my second year so they must have made space for that student and have a certain degree of tolerance?
A few tutors were aware of my ill health but I fear leaving like i did has 'burned bridges' ?
Reply 3
I know exactly how you are feeling. I left Uni after passing the first year for personal reasons, and after 2 years working really want to go back. I emailed my tutor and she said that they would consider me again if I applied through UCAS; but when I applied the head of the course said that they would not consider me again, even though I was willing to start the course from the first year again. I have a place at another Uni now, not really for the course I want, and I really really really want to go back, but dont know if it is worth even trying again- I may have to accept I have blown my chance :frown: I dont know what to do!

In your case, may be worth phoning/emailing and just explaining like you have on here, that you are still passionate about the course- and you are in a situation to work harder than ever and achieve your potential. Unis are like businesses really, they want to make money and get students in, chances are there are spaces in the second year. Just reassure them you have been keeping up some form of independant study, as they may worry you are a bit out of the learning loop and not ready for second year. Good luck though, hope you get the result you are after :smile:

Latest