The Student Room Group

University choices!!!!!HELPPPPPP!!!!!!

Recently I had received my university offers. Nottingham University , University of Surrey and University of Leeds for Bsc Nutrition. I have no idea which university to go to!!!! Currently, I am looking at Nottingham and Surrey. I love Surrey as its closer to London compared to Nottingham and I did some research on Nottingham where it is famous for gun crime kinda of turn me off. However, I personally feel that Nottingham is more well-known that Surrey. I would like to know honest opinions about these two universities. Eg: graduate prospect, classes, environment, student body, facilities etc. Thank you (=
lol theres gun crime in ALL cities. Nottingham is a lovely university, fab city- fab nightlife. I'd rathjer go to nottingham and leeds than somewhere like surrey tbh

Why don't you actually go to the universities and have a look around the towns?
Reply 2
Subcutaneous
lol theres gun crime in ALL cities. Nottingham is a lovely university, fab city- fab nightlife. I'd rathjer go to nottingham and leeds than somewhere like surrey tbh

Why don't you actually go to the universities and have a look around the towns?

There are shock-waves of bias pulsing from you.
Reply 3
Why do you want to be close to London- is it home, or do you just like going there?
I would research the transport costs and methods beforehand; I don't really knwo anything about surrey but I know nottingham has great train links and if you look around/ book in advance you can get really cheap fares. EG I got a return from nottingham to norwich for like £16 or something silly. And my friend just went from peterborough to nottingham for £1!!! It's insane!

Like I said I don't know anything about Surrey But nottingham, my friend goes to:

He showed me round the campus- it's huge! And has a fair bit of greenery, nice landscaping. the bus service looked good and frequent. He has said to me that he knew about the crime rate before he went but actually hasn't heard anything major, it seems pretty safe to him. When he goes out there are generally alot of other students there all the time, so it's so crowded you're unlikely to be very at risk, unless you're walking everywhere 9they always get taxi or bus). Buses go various places reasonably late from the town centre, so you could use them to get home as well. He really enjoys it there, might be worth PMing him since I know he'll give an honest opinion of the goods and bads (although of course he likes it so will be a lot of positive!) his name is

TomLeigh

Also I'd definitely recommend a visit, if there isn't an open day coming up you can usually arrange to be shown around by a student instead if you contact them :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for your opinion. (=

@subcutaneous - I can't visit nottingham nor surrey simply because I am an international student. I do appreciate if any of you would give unbiased opinions.

@kpwxx- is it possible for me to talk to your friend about nottingham? i would like to get as much research and student opinions before I have to reply back to UCAS.

Well, I do hope theres some people in this forum who could give me opinion about surrey. as most of you are siding nottingham.
Samsunshine
Thanks everyone for your opinion. (=

@subcutaneous - I can't visit nottingham nor surrey simply because I am an international student. I do appreciate if any of you would give unbiased opinions.

@kpwxx- is it possible for me to talk to your friend about nottingham? i would like to get as much research and student opinions before I have to reply back to UCAS.

Well, I do hope theres some people in this forum who could give me opinion about surrey. as most of you are siding nottingham.

Nottingham is one of the biggest uni's in the uk, yeah its bias- but as a student i'd like to think I have a pretty good idea of the uni! I think you should ignore gun crime statistics though, nottingham has previously had a history..but its just like any other city and has its rough and bad areas. It's a campus university, and naturally very secluded off the city, you could practically stay on campus and never venture into town- but even the city centre is beautiful, fab shops, good atmosphere, tram system- good transport links to birmingham, manchester, sheffield, leeds etc. Plus with two universities in the city, it has a massive student population and you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere in town that isn't student friendly. Plus because its counted as 'oop north' prices are cheaper for housing, and the cost of living- as opposed to somewhere like surrey.

If I could I would at this point put some bad things about it..I wish i could, but its really hard to think of something I don't like about nottingham! It has everything, beautiful greenery- to a buzzing city, multicultural and a fab nightlife. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year now and really don't want it to end!

This is a pic of the city during christmas time, it has a ice rink up in the centre and a german market aswell

Jubilee campus, nottingham

The trent building, university park campus

The canal, really good bike ride and a cute festival there every august

The trip, oldest pub in england, and part of it is inside some caves.

The medical school, not just for medical students- but nursing, physio's, midwives- and I assume the nutritionists
Reply 6
OP, in relation to gun/knife crime/crime in general. Every city in the UK has it's problems with crime; much of this crime is against people who don't use their common sense. If you're going to walk alone down dark alleys drunk at 2 in the morning then you need to expect to run into trouble. If you apply some common sense and keep in groups on well lit streets then the chances are that you'll be very unlucky to get involved in a knife attack. At the end of the day, you could easily get involved in a knife attack or similar in Leeds or Guildford so its not as though "If i go to Nottingham, i will get stabbed, if i go to Leeds i definitely won't". So i would personally forget about crime rates and focus on the uni and city as a whole.

Personally i think that Nottingham is a better uni than Leeds or Surrey; this is overall, i know that Surrey has a pretty good reputation for your subject though.

You need to know whether you want to be in a city, a large town or a campus on the outside of a large city.
With Leeds, the uni is bang in the centre pretty much; it's know as a student city and you have Leeds Met uni as well as Leeds Uni so there are loads of students and lots of student deals, pubs, clubs etc.
Surrey is in Guildford, which is a large town; i've never been there so don't really know much about it; what i do know is that i wouldn't even be considering Surrey. Worse uni, small city; not for me personally; but then i am going to London for uni so im biased towards larger cities.
Nottingham is a decent size city and its a campus uni about 5 miles from the city; its near the town of beeston though so its got everything you need in walking distance. I won't bother saying anything else cause you have opinions on Notts already.

Overall, i would go for Nottingham though; or Leeds if you prefer a really studenty city and the crime rate of Notts bothers you.
orca92
OP, in relation to gun/knife crime/crime in general. Every city in the UK has it's problems with crime; much of this crime is against people who don't use their common sense. If you're going to walk alone down dark alleys drunk at 2 in the morning then you need to expect to run into trouble. If you apply some common sense and keep in groups on well lit streets then the chances are that you'll be very unlucky to get involved in a knife attack. At the end of the day, you could easily get involved in a knife attack or similar in Leeds or Guildford so its not as though "If i go to Nottingham, i will get stabbed, if i go to Leeds i definitely won't". So i would personally forget about crime rates and focus on the uni and city as a whole.

Personally i think that Nottingham is a better uni than Leeds or Surrey; this is overall, i know that Surrey has a pretty good reputation for your subject though.

You need to know whether you want to be in a city, a large town or a campus on the outside of a large city.
With Leeds, the uni is bang in the centre pretty much; it's know as a student city and you have Leeds Met uni as well as Leeds Uni so there are loads of students and lots of student deals, pubs, clubs etc.
Surrey is in Guildford, which is a large town; i've never been there so don't really know much about it; what i do know is that i wouldn't even be considering Surrey. Worse uni, small city; not for me personally; but then i am going to London for uni so im biased towards larger cities.
Nottingham is a decent size city and its a campus uni about 5 miles from the city; its near the town of beeston though so its got everything you need in walking distance. I won't bother saying anything else cause you have opinions on Notts already.

Overall, i would go for Nottingham though; or Leeds if you prefer a really studenty city and the crime rate of Notts bothers you.

You can actually walk from campus into the centre, like a 30min walk if that- its not 5 miles away at all
Reply 8
Subcutaneous
You can actually walk from campus into the centre, like a 30min walk if that- its not 5 miles away at all

Hmm, i'm sure someone told me it was 5 miles :confused: And i remember driving from the uni campus to the city at the open day but can't remember how long that took. Either way, 30 mins is about 1.5 miles OP.
Reply 9
I kinda got sway to nottingham after much researching and googling online throughout the day. I know its lifeless, alright. But I am excited yet kinda nervous. I heard something about segregation in Notts, is it true? how they only hang out with certain race and such. As I came from an international-oriented sixth form college in my country, I am very used to a diverse culture and hanging out with all races. It sortha bother me if some people are anti-social. No offence. Besides that, I heard that some accommodation caters certain type of people.ie- certain hall of residences are full of spoilt bratty private school kids. certain hall of residence are more international student oriented but most of them are anti-social and some are at country side. Would any notts student help to debug this dilemma,please? Thank you (=

Well, I realised School of Biosciences is located at Sutton Bonington Campus and I had read some reviews from another website. Its sort of country side and it takes 30mins to reach university park campus! Can someone tell me good points of SB campus besides its more chilling, outdoor and farm-like.

@subcutaneous - did you shoot all those photos? Though some looks photoshopped. Nice photos,btw (=

Latest