The Student Room Group

PanOxyl helps my spots but makes my face VERY RED and VERY dry!!?

I got PanOxyl 10% facewash about 4 days ago from my dermatologist and it seems to be working although it makes my face really red and dry. I put on moisturiser for the day but it's still making it really red. It looks sunburnt!

I also use Differin cream at night gave to me by my dermatologist.

Anyone had this problem? Does it always make your face red the first couple of times?

Thx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't use spot cream, but here's some advice anyway:

Try not using the facewash (or any other products) for a few more days. Allow the skin to settle and see if the redness goes away.
Contact your dermatologist about the issue.
Maybe a natural face cream should be used instead.
Reply 2
Malik388
I don't use spot cream, but here's some advice anyway:

Try not using the facewash (or any other products) for a few more days. Allow the skin to settle and see if the redness goes away.
Contact your dermatologist about the issue.
Maybe a natural face cream should be used instead.

When you say contact my dermatologist, what do you mean? Would I be able to phone up and speak to him or something? As I havn't got another apointment for another 3 months "/
Reply 3
Hyper-sensibility to one of the constituents of Panoxyl and/or Differin cream.

You should totally return to your dermatologist, or ask the pharmacist from where did you buy your creams!

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Big_Joe_1234
When you say contact my dermatologist, what do you mean? Would I be able to phone up and speak to him or something? As I havn't got another apointment for another 3 months "/

You don't have to wait for your next appointment if this is a serious issue.
Is you dermatologist at a hospital or a private building?
Whichever it is, you should phone up the appropriate department and ask for an emergency appointment or, at least, some professional advice on what to do.
Is there not a phone number on your appointment card (if you have one)?
Reply 5
Malik388
You don't have to wait for your next appointment if this is a serious issue.
Is you dermatologist at a hospital or a private building?
Whichever it is, you should phone up the appropriate department and ask for an emergency appointment or, at least, some professional advice on what to do.
Is there not a phone number on your appointment card (if you have one)?

It was a hospital and I just got a prescription to hand into the chemist and told to come back in 3 months.
Reply 6
Big_Joe_1234
It was a hospital and I just got a prescription to hand into the chemist and told to come back in 3 months.

Go on the 118118 website and phone up the hospital.
Get through to the required department, they should sort you out.
Reply 7
Malik388
Go on the 118118 website and phone up the hospital.
Get through to the required department, they should sort you out.

Just got off the phone with the dermatologist department of my hospital. They said "We have never heard of PanOxyl but phone up the 'out patients line' on monday and see if someone can help you then."

I don't know how they don't know, because they prescribed it to me "/
Reply 8
Big_Joe_1234
Just got off the phone with the dermatologist department of my hospital. They said "We have never heard of PanOxyl but phone up the 'out patients line' on monday and see if someone can help you then."

What a silly reply by them.

I found this statement online:

"Panoxyl dries out the skin, which may actually be counterproductive. A thick moisturizer is necessary but you may just be negating the benefits you have been seeing. Panoxyl does require consistent use, but the excess flaking and irritation can hurt the surface of the skin. Dry skin is an acne trigger as much as anything else, so it is important to keep your skin hydrated.

Many individuals that use Panoxyl have noticed extreme redness the day after using this cream. Severe itching and irritation is likely, which may be unbearable for some individuals. Further more, scratching the surface of the skin may also cause infections and scarring."

I do suggest allowing the skin to rest for the next two days, then phoning up the out-patients department first thing on Monday.
Reply 9
Big_Joe_1234

The sunburnt feeling is due to the fact it contains benzoyl peroxide. It usually says that this is a short term side affect until your skin gets used to it, but I used it for years without it getting any better. Don't worry about dermatology at the hospital, just go see your GP as they will know what panoxyl is and be able to prescribe you an alternative that doesn't contain the benzoyl peroxide eg. Zineryt.
Big_Joe_1234

Ok....me and my sisters have all been on this stuff. All had the same reaction at first. Its a classic settling in phase of PanOxyl (2.5% aquagel?) look it up on the internet. In fact, Im suprosed you weren't infored of this sooner. It generally takes 3 weeks for it to completely disappear, then you will be fine.

If the gel stops working eventually/your not satisfied, maybe ask him/her about changing to Duac cream-as that has an antibiotic element to it as aswell as drying. Whereas PanOxyl is just drying.

But seriously, don't worry. And tbh, it seems most of the other posters don't know what they're talking about so please don't worry/stop using it!
Reply 11
Thanks for the answers. I'll keep using it and see what happens on monday. :smile:
Reply 12
I honestly find that all these washes and creams do very little for my skin.

If I use them, then miss out a day or two I'll get spots twice as bad. =|

I just wash my face with water 2/3 times a day...when I get up, mid-day and before bed and my skin seems to react better to this. I reckon it's the chemicals that do me over.
Reply 13
I used this for quite some time and had to use a extra thick cream for it to calm down. I also used to alternate days. Keep using it until you see someone about it, and if they are no help then just cut back on the amount you use.
xRoseberryx
Ok....me and my sisters have all been on this stuff. All had the same reaction at first. Its a classic settling in phase of PanOxyl (2.5% aquagel?) look it up on the internet. In fact, Im suprosed you weren't infored of this sooner. It generally takes 3 weeks for it to completely disappear, then you will be fine.

If the gel stops working eventually/your not satisfied, maybe ask him/her about changing to Duac cream-as that has an antibiotic element to it as aswell as drying. Whereas PanOxyl is just drying.

But seriously, don't worry. And tbh, it seems most of the other posters don't know what they're talking about so please don't worry/stop using it!

do you mean acne goes in 3 weeks?! :eek:
baskinrobbins
do you mean acne goes in 3 weeks?! :eek:

No...I ean the redness and dryness should go within 3 weeks.
Reply 16
Big_Joe_1234
I got PanOxyl 10% facewash about 4 days ago from my dermatologist and it seems to be working although it makes my face really red and dry. I put on moisturiser for the day but it's still making it really red. It looks sunburnt!

I also use Differin cream at night gave to me by my dermatologist.

Anyone had this problem? Does it always make your face red the first couple of times?

Thx

The same thing happened to me!! Although it wasn't PanOxyl the face wash. It was that PanOxyl gel that you get in the tube and you put it directly on your spots. My face went red and it burnt the top layer of my skin off on my cheek. I looked like i had been slapped really hard across the face!! You just have to wait for it to heal. I used loads of sudocrem which soothed the pain and burning sensation a bit. And just wash your face with water and if u have to use something then just use simple facial wash. Don't put anything harsh or perfumed or any soap products on your skin.
xRoseberryx
No...I ean the redness and dryness should go within 3 weeks.

and is it guaranteed that it works for everyone?
baskinrobbins
and is it guaranteed that it works for everyone?

Obviously not "guaranteed". Medicine is not an exact science and everyones' bodies are at least a lil different. Not to mention...There arevery few garauntees in this world!! :cool:
Reply 19
Since I just have acne on my cheeks and chin, should I just wash my cheeks and chin with the PanOxyl face wash? or my whole face?

Quick Reply

Latest