The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You'll get a 2:1 most likely. I got 69.8% this year and still got a 2:1 :p: They have to draw the borderline somewhere I suppose.
Reply 2
If you finish uni with a 69.5 they normally grant your degree as a first class degree. They don't really need to before then though.
If im correct, your grade is 2:1. I don't believe you are fully graded at the end of the first year, only at the end of the last. So you have a 2:1 mark because you averaged less than 70%, but you don't have any degree classification

If that was your mark at the end of your degree, i would expect that you would be upgraded to a 1st, but don't take my word for it
Sorry guys i mean at the end of my second year!
thegaffer91
If im correct, your grade is 2:1. I don't believe you are fully graded at the end of the first year, only at the end of the last. So you have a 2:1 mark because you averaged less than 70%, but you don't have any degree classification

If that was your mark at the end of your degree, i would expect that you would be upgraded to a 1st, but don't take my word for it

Thanks for that..sorry i mean at the end of my second year!
Okay I guess I was just hopeful that I could push it up to a 1st class. Will just have to work so hard in my 3rd year i guess.
Thanks for the help guys!
Reply 7
If you end you degree boarderline ie ~68.5-70% you may have a viva. External examiners will interview you to see what class they think you should be. This year on my course of the people I know who had vivas none had their classification upgraded.
69.5 would be upgraded to 70% = First class! BUT I understand your 69.5 is 2nd year . .

My advice: work your arse off and hope you get this or better and hopefully you'll have achieved a First! :smile:
Reply 9
My boyfriend got 69.7% overall and was awarded a first, but he did a combined honours degree in which he was constantly averaging above 75 in Music but around 65 in Politics and they had a weighting system.
I don't think they round up marks unless you are graduating. This obviously depends on the uni but I think that's a 2.1.
Reply 11
DancinBallerina
69.5 would be upgraded to 70% = First class! BUT I understand your 69.5 is 2nd year . .

My advice: work your arse off and hope you get this or better and hopefully you'll have achieved a First! :smile:

No it wouldn't be.

You might get a viva but even 69.9% is a 2.i
Reply 12
js374
If you end you degree boarderline ie ~68.5-70% you may have a viva. External examiners will interview you to see what class they think you should be. This year on my course of the people I know who had vivas none had their classification upgraded.

You might get a viva in that range but there isn't a guarentee for it.

fyi I know many people on your course who grad in '07 who had vivas and were uplifted. Thers not much rhym or reason to it, just depends what the external examiners think really.
Reply 13
Quady
You might get a viva in that range but there isn't a guarentee for it.

fyi I know many people on your course who grad in '07 who had vivas and were uplifted. Thers not much rhym or reason to it, just depends what the external examiners think really.

I know there is no guarantee of getting a viva. Simply there is no point in assigning yourself a degree classification at the end of 1st and 2nd year because it doesn't really matter.
I'm sure there were people uplifted otherwise it would be a bit of a pointless exercise. This year only 6 people had vivas out of I guess about 100 or so. Of the four I spoke to none had their classification uplifted. I don't know what happened with the other two.
Reply 14
js374
at the end of 1st and 2nd year because it doesn't really matter.

Yet Bath thinks it matters enough to demote people to the BSc if they don't look likely to get a 2.1 :P (sorry, personal gripe there)
Reply 15
Quady
Yet Bath thinks it matters enough to demote people to the BSc if they don't look likely to get a 2.1 :P (sorry, personal gripe there)

Not a 2:1 actually 55% I know that personally aswell having been caught myself after atrocious second year results!
Reply 16
js374
Not a 2:1 actually 55% I know that personally aswell having been caught myself after atrocious second year results!

Bad luck :frown:
I moved unis I was so annoyed with them. Got my 2.i MChem in York :biggrin: whos random cut off point is 50% :P
Reply 17
Quady
Bad luck :frown:
I moved unis I was so annoyed with them. Got my 2.i MChem in York :biggrin: whos random cut off point is 50% :P

I didn't think of doing that! I dropped from 70 odd in 1st down to 50 in second due to a couple of reasons. So even though averaging slightly over 60% I was still kicked off!
Quady
No it wouldn't be.

You might get a viva but even 69.9% is a 2.i

Yes it would @ my uni - it says in the handbook! If the average sits on 69.5 - you are bumped up to the 70% - First. IF the average finishes on 69.4%, it's a 2:1.

Not all universities are the same which I know. But i'm just saying that it would be a First @ my uni. Viva's are also only given @ my uni if they suspect plagiarism OR as another form of assessment.

Latest

Trending

Trending