The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Best Time to Arrive for Fall 2010 (Postgrad International)

Hello. I am entering St Andrews in the fall. I just want to verify a couple of things. The semester begins on the 28th of Sept, correct? I was reading the Accomodation page and it says that students can start moving in upto 10 days before the semester begins.

I have no yet heard from accommodations but I do want to purchase my ticket. Is this a bad idea?

Also, since I am a postgrad and an international student, it is important for me to get an idea of when is the best date to arrive since I want to make sure I wont be exhausted for my classes and I am finally all settled in without having to rush.

Initially, because of work purposes, I was hoping to arrive the weekend before the semester begins (friday 24 or saturday 25) but since there appears to be series of events that happen in the 10 days before the first day of the semester (apparently it is for Freshmen but I was advice that maybe I will have to be there even if I am a postgrad) I am now looking to arrive around the 19 or 20th.

Again, buying the ticket for either of these days without knowing if I have been accommodated is one problem but also the reality that I'd have to have some type of funds available till I receive my loan refunds (I am still unsure of when the disbursement for refunds is) makes me want to stay in my job as late as possible so that I can have my last month's of income available to me. Obviously if I leave on the 19 or 20, I will have less income and also have to wait for my last paper check to arrive to my mom and then be wired to my UK account, when I open it.

If youve read all this, THANK YOU. I am hoping to get some opinions and maybe find someone that has had the same issues I am now facing for a little guidance...

I hope I havent exhausted my questions...but it is hard to find info on the website and although I have contacted the secretary of my dept, I feel that maybe, for one, she probably has nothing to do with what I am trying to get informed about and two, shes been very kind to me so far and I would hate to annoy her :s-smilie:
There are events all during Freshers' Week Orientation Week that are aimed at postgrads, like lecture/talks about skills and things you might need as a postgrad. Some departments even have their own schedule of events for week 0 (a quick look on the website showed me that school of management had a lot of stuff going on for postgrads last year).

I would advise that you turn up for freshers week (18th or 19th sept) as it's not just for undergrads and not just about going out and getting drunk.

(Source: I did my undergrad at St Andrews and will be starting as a postgrad in Sept)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
la_banane_verte
There are events all during Freshers' Week Orientation Week that are aimed at postgrads, like lecture/talks about skills and things you might need as a postgrad. Some departments even have their own schedule of events for week 0 (a quick look on the website showed me that school of management had a lot of stuff going on for postgrads last year).

I would advise that you turn up for freshers week (18th or 19th sept) as it's not just for undergrads and not just about going out and getting drunk.

(Source: I did my undergrad at St Andrews and will be starting as a postgrad in Sept)

Hello. Thank you for your advice. I ended up purchasing my ticket to arrive on the 18th (Saturday) but I will be arriving in the evening (my plane wont arrive to Edinburgh till 5pm or so). do you think I will face any problems if I am arriving to St Andrews in the evening, if for instance I am expecting to pick up my room key and whatnot? I just want to know because maybe I will have to rent a room somewhere so that on Sunday I can arrive during the day.... :s-smilie:
There should be a porter/warden around somewhere for you to pick up your key whatever time of night you arrive. You might not get all the welcome packs (if your hall gives them out), but you could probably go get those on the Sunday. If you know which hall you're going to be in, there might be something on the website about arriving and how to pick up your keys, or you could email them and ask.
Reply 4
I'm facing a similar issue. Ideally, I would want to spend that 18-19th weekend at home still, but obviusly, if there is anything good going on on monday (I would arrive in Edinburgh around 10am, but still, I wouldn't want to stress as much), I'd obviously make that my priority. Does anyone know if there is a schedule for that week around?
Reply 5
I was about to come to St A on 20th, but because Sting is performing in my home town on this date, I've decided to arrive on 21st. In my experience it it always better to attend week 0, so as to get to know the place better.
And I am Postgrad too (ISS)
Reply 6
I ended up purchasing my ticket to arrive on the 18th in the eve (it is going to be a long trip...) because of the whole Fresher's Week. Although I am not sure if I will be involved with the whole orientation week/events unless necessary because I'd like to spend a few days getting to know St As. Also, I have not heard from accommodation so it is stressing me a bit because I bought my ticket in hopes that I'd have somewhere to arrive but I am fearing that I may end up looking for a place to live instead (which would REALLY suck since I'd have to find some place to stay till I find some place to live)...
Reply 7
Go to thesinner.net and on messageboard you'll find some accommodation offers. Might be of some help to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending