The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Grayson Heights OR IQ

Hello, I am going to the University of Leeds in September to do a Postgraduate degree.

So I have a choice between the University run Grayson Heights or the privately owned IQ accommodation building.

Both are priced the same, with bills included. So that isn't an issue.

IQ is closer by about 20 minutes.

IQ has ensuite.

So IQ sounds lots better but I hear that "the area isn't too great". I know that it is in an industrial estate so I am not expecting the environment to look great. But the key things are:- Is the area dodgy (as in safe)? and does it have any Supermarkets/other essential facilities nearby?

All I want is somewhere that is not too expensive to live in, which is quiet, has all the basic facilities you might need + a lounge and that doesn't have a history of ignoring repair requests/things generally going wrong.

Hope you guys can give some advice on this. Thanks!
wackojacko
Hello, I am going to the University of Leeds in September to do a Postgraduate degree.

So I have a choice between the University run Grayson Heights or the privately owned IQ accommodation building.

Both are priced the same, with bills included. So that isn't an issue.

IQ is closer by about 20 minutes.

IQ has ensuite.

So IQ sounds lots better but I hear that "the area isn't too great". I know that it is in an industrial estate so I am not expecting the environment to look great. But the key things are:- Is the area dodgy (as in safe)? and does it have any Supermarkets/other essential facilities nearby?

All I want is somewhere that is not too expensive to live in, which is quiet, has all the basic facilities you might need + a lounge and that doesn't have a history of ignoring repair requests/things generally going wrong.

Hope you guys can give some advice on this. Thanks!

Im at IQ right now tis fine, its not on an industrial estate, but there is an industrial estate on the other side of a major road.

If you draw a line straight down the hill from the Uni and parkinson building its quiet pretty area actually, you step behind that line like 5mins any direction other than the Uni its pretty beat up housing.

Facilities are Londis and a One Stop, but up the road for £1 on the bus you got a retail park on the edge of Meanwood that is nice and has an Aldi among many bargain shops, not to forget a halaal KFC that tastes super better than normal KFC's bigger chickens (must be pakistani chicken imported halaal chickens).

IQ good with students, instead of repairing my chair handle they just replaced the office chair, its also got Sky TV with full package to everything which is a good social point. It has a quiet dedicated PG block, but if you do fancy an adventure you got freshers who good for a party over the other side. So you got some good options, its also well underpriced so your getting much better quality accomodation for below Leeds average similiar competetors pricing.

Its gated and you go through two doors before you get to your room and the gate so its pretty secure. The walk from Uni to IQ is well light and safe as pie since high concentration of students taking same route, this means no matter the hour of the day or night you walk up the hill (only major drawback) there will be plenty of fellow students about, its a main road and the park where there is no lighting you walk through briefly has 3 tower blocks overlooking it and Leodis University residences. Be a total fool to try anything lol.

I never seen or heard of a criminal act in my time in Leeds, reputations are just reputations. I just went to York for the second time and saw some guy start on a bouncer and crack his head open and it took 6 police to take this guy down and they had to strap his legs and shoulders and middle to stop him trying to thrust any of his body parts towards em lol, yet York has a reputation for being low on crime. So there you go just shows you :wink:

Sounds like your already leaning toward IQ anyway do not blame you, I avoid Uni accoms disagree with them personally, standards are pretty poor and customer service is pretty unresponsive takes weeks to get anything sorted, overstretched undermanaged issues.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks. I think it is a pretty easy decision now :wink:. It just seemed a bit too good for the money they were asking for so I was hunting for a catch :P.

Looking forward to moving in!
wackojacko
Thanks. I think it is a pretty easy decision now :wink:. It just seemed a bit too good for the money they were asking for so I was hunting for a catch :P.

Looking forward to moving in!

There is no catch for why it is cheap but I will explain why it is at the moment. They thought the accomodation was so good it would sell itself, which if should have. But problem is freshers in particular and new visitors to Leeds are uber concerned about social scenes when tbh all accomodations have a good social scene unless you go to a specific PG/International only accomodation. May I add IQ lets you opt in and out, in the sense you live in a seperate block from freshers but can tag along with them on a night out if you fancy it. So people did not want to be the first year incase the social was not good. So basically IQ went under the radar last year so dropped prices and made an advertisement campaign so now everyone knows about it, its looking to be at 100% occupancy next year or close to it, i bet they sell all the cluster flat rooms probably be a few studios hanging around though.

I get a little peeved at the emphasis some people put on the social and how much they look into this aspect. I mean I understand its important but how some places like Boddington have this artificial hype of having an uber social climate, when in fact it if you rationally assess things it has the least potential for a good fun social enviroment, in my opinion because its so far from any entertainment and is isolated to itself.

I would be careful in Leeds to listening to these social hypes about places, a lot of them are invented up by the University or students that know no different and automatically assume there accomodation is the best socially, without having a good think what else is on offer.

Good luck, look forward to potentially seeing you next year, might I be so bold as to put you in touch with a member who is also considering IQ and is a PG but is of an International persuasion, who I have been helping also? Jess310 This is if you are interested in knowing someone in your block when and if you end up choosing IQ, you may even end up in the same cluster together you never know :smile:

jess310
FAO (For attention of)
Reply 4
Hi wackojacko!

Yeah, I was in the same situation, but thanks to misterxninja, I'm applying at iQ now.
Actually I'm stuck at step 4 coz I'm not sure which roomies I should choose. Some of them still look 'empty' that's why I got confused. If u're interested in sharing, just let me know, we can request/make a group booking, that way we can end up at the same flat.
I mean, it'd be nice to actually know someone once we get there.

Misterxninja, do u realize u've got a flair for marketing? :biggrin:
jess310
Hi wackojacko!

Yeah, I was in the same situation, but thanks to misterxninja, I'm applying at iQ now.
Actually I'm stuck at step 4 coz I'm not sure which roomies I should choose. Some of them still look 'empty' that's why I got confused. If u're interested in sharing, just let me know, we can request/make a group booking, that way we can end up at the same flat.
I mean, it'd be nice to actually know someone once we get there.

Misterxninja, do u realize u've got a flair for marketing? :biggrin:

Tell them that get me a job lol
Reply 6
misterxninja
new visitors to Leeds are uber concerned about social scenes

Oh this is rather daft. I did my undergraduate degree in Aberystwyth in Wales and there were no organised social activities. But you can arrange your own, I guess first years want babysitting :wink:. I met people by going out with people on my corridor or wandering upstairs to say hello, or better yet joined a society (I assume Leeds have these).

Anyway I hope you are right about IQ being full, but if it isn't I suppose it will be a bit quieter which isn't all bad.

jess310

Ah Jess sounds like a plan to me, I haven't registered yet since I am waiting to see which bank account I need to use, but once I have I will be happy to do a group booking with you :smile:.
wackojacko
Oh this is rather daft. I did my undergraduate degree in Aberystwyth in Wales and there were no organised social activities. But you can arrange your own, I guess first years want babysitting :wink:. I met people by going out with people on my corridor or wandering upstairs to say hello, or better yet joined a society (I assume Leeds have these).

Anyway I hope you are right about IQ being full, but if it isn't I suppose it will be a bit quieter which isn't all bad.

Ah Jess sounds like a plan to me, I haven't registered yet since I am waiting to see which bank account I need to use, but once I have I will be happy to do a group booking with you :smile:.

I have a friend reading in History 2nd year going into 3rd year at that Uni. Its not that at all people do exactley what you said in September they go round knock on doors meet new people, its just they are so concerned about social aspect of accomodations, that companies exploit it by trying to create dreamy social illusions to help sell there properties.

Mate you will have way more societies here trust, so diverse its one of its key strengths as a Uni, it did not get Union of last year for no reason, societies were a key part of it getting the award.

I hope you have a nice journey and I look forward to seeing you at IQ, drop us a message when your here if you want to be shown round city and campus aswell as bus routes and whatever you need generally, feel free to ask me anything im just happy to help people. Im currently in 136 with my partner, but we may move to A block for september not sure.
Reply 8
Ah sounds good to me, look forward to it!
Reply 9
Ok, so I messed up. The Postgraduate block is now fully booked. It had 10-15 beds free yesterday and they have all gone in one go.

1) As a postgraduate am I allowed to book into the "quiet" undergraduate block (for 2nd,3rd and 4th years) and is it actually quiet??

This is very annoying, I knew it would go quickly but not this quickly!
2) Is the "quiet" undergraduate

Latest