The Student Room Group

Weirdest housemate ever!?

Who's had the weirdest housemate?
Or were you the offending party?? :eyeball:
I don't think I've had very strange activity in my flat last year just very annoying people but my friend ended up sharing in a drug house.

Scroll to see replies

I thought this would be about big brother lol
Reply 2
bananacake14

lol same for me XD :woo:
Reply 3
Oh, I have loads of stories - after uni I always end up in a new house every six months, either because I find out that one of the randomers I move in with is so disgusting, or someone moves out and life with the new resident becomes unbearable.

I'll tell you about the garlic mayo and sour milk incident I think, but I have plenty more experiences that are equally hilarious...

Well, I was living in this house in Nottingham for a couple of months, and there was an empty room. There was a call from the landlord to say that he was having someone move in and could someone be home to let him in, give him a key, etc etc.

This guy actually ended up ringing one of us, his name was Mike. Mike said that we were all going down to the Lady Bay pub, he was leaving a key on the inside of the back bathroom windowsill and he was to reach in and get it, and then meet us all down the pub.

Mike neglected to mention that he'd enclosed the key in a full condom for security purposes.

Being frosted glass, the guy obviously couldn't see in and was groping around blind when he found it. I can only imagine what it would have been like. James was pretty much fuming when he turned up at the pub later.

Mike assured him that the substance in the condom wasn't actually cum but garlic sauce. "Don't believe me? Smell your finger". Nice!

Revenge was a long time coming, but that was also absolutely hilarious!

After being in the flat for about a month, James discovered the three month old milk in the back of the fridge that was left by the previous tenant. You know how it goes with fridges, if it's not yours, you don't bother with it and if the owner isn't there, it keeps on getting more rancid as time goes by.

This milk was disgusting after three months and smelt pretty bad, but James came up with quite a prank to get back at Mike.

Mike was out, staying with with his girlfriend C at her and her parents' place. She was a lovely girl and I felt sorry for her every time she came round to stay as our place was such a tip, Mike's bedrooom even more so. James had tipped the four pint carton of rancid slop into a mixing bowl and gave it a good stir. The stench made me almost want to vomit.

James then went into Mike's room and placed this bowl under his bed, along with a copy of Red Hot 60+ and a box of Kleenex that was on Mike's table. The doors were closed and left that way until Mike got back at the weekend with C for a night of "Oh my God, we're out from under the parents' gaze lets have lots of sex" sex.

We were all in on this, and sure enough, we heard "WHAT THE HOLY ****" and sounds of an argument. Mike came storming in and demanded to know who'd replaced the air in his room with a rancid dairy product in a gaseous state.

James suggested he smell his fingers. Mike was proper angry. He went for James and we had to pull him off. Apparently the stench and the realisation that Mike was rubbing em out over grannies and then keeping the contents under his bed long enough for them to turn rancid didn't sit well with C.

James said that he could keep the mag as long as was required. Unfortunately we were laughing so hard, we couldn't stop Mike punching James this time.
Reply 4
bananacake14

Me toooooo!!
Reply 5
marcusfox

Mike neglected to mention that he'd enclosed the key in a full condom for security purposes.

LOL, who does that???!!! haha, I have to meet Mike at some point in my life.
Reply 6
Ok, this one was at Reading Uni, but have to admit it wasn't my house, but a friend's. I'm glad it wasn't my house. I was living in halls for my second year, but a few of my mates moved out into a shared house. All blokes again.

As student houses on the Basingstoke Road go, it was a bit of a dump. And in the kitchen, well it was pretty small, so they had put a fridge in the downstairs loo, which was across the corridor and also had the washing machine, tumble drier, etc. Yeah, I wasn't sure of the hygiene issue either, but the blokes living in the house didn't mind. Being blokes and not being big on cleaning, the house started to take on an odour of rotting kebab. But when you are 20 and perpetually drunk, this is no big deal really.

Soon enough, most of the uni year ticked away. Even with exams coming up after Easter, we still went out clubbing right up until the end of term. The five people sharing the house and me all went home for the Easter break. I don't know if you remember Easter in 2000, but it was absolutely roasting. Memorable for one reason only.

I was back in halls a few days before term started to help get things sorted out at the hall, but I had a call from Andy saying that he was going to be back early as well and would I mind giving him a hand carrying stuff as he lived on the top floor. What are mates for eh?

Well, I was waiting outside the house at the prearranged time and Andy was late as usual. He rang me to tell me he was just coming off the M4 as the M25 had been hell. But no, I think hell would have been pretty mild compared to what awaited us inside Andy's house.

We noticed the smell the second we got in. The sweet sickly odour of something that's been dead a long time. Andy knew that they had a problem with the occasional mouse and enlisted my help to try and find the corpse, hoping it would be somewhere easy like behind a sofa and not under the floorboards. We sniffed all round the house, and oddly enough, the smell was coming from the downstairs loo. But we were puzzled. The toilet I'll agree was filthy, but it was not a dead mouse.

Thinking that the mouse was behind one of the appliances, we decided to shift them to check. Washing machine, no; tumble drier, no; fridge...

Andy puked - luckily he made the toilet, and the smell was so bad I had to leave the room. As Andy had moved the fridge, there was a sloshing noise, the sound of spilling water and a wave of putrid gas filled the air. Gagging, Andy looked round the back of the fridge.

If you ever look behind your fridge - and because of this, I will never forget - you will see a little bucket or tray that pulls out. This is where all the water that condenses in the fridge drains to and collects. This bucket is cleverly sat next to the pump and heat exchanger so that the warmth from this machinery help the water evaporate. This is a fantastic piece of design.

Unless a rat has gotten itself stuck in the bucket and drowned. Then, together with the warmth and wetness, it becomes a perfect machine for creating rotting rat soup.

In spite of the stink, Andy knew he had to get the contents of the bucket out of the house, so he armed himself with a stick and a bin liner. He planned to fish the rat out with the stick, into the bin bag and go straight to the outside bin. Unfortunately when a rat is marinading in warm water for several weeks, this usually contributes to its reduced structural integrity. The stick went right through the rat like a hot knife through butter. This filled the water in the bucket with an even stinkier mixture of rotting rat and maggots.

Eventually he realised that the only way to deal with the matter was to dump a bottle of bleach in and head down the pub for a pint before removing the rat and contents with Marigold rubber gloves.
Reply 7
jenny.chu
LOL, who does that???!!! haha, I have to meet Mike at some point in my life.

Yeah, he was a bit of a prankster was Mike. Fortunately I'd gotten my key off the landlord.
marcusfox
Ok, this one was at Reading Uni, but have to admit it wasn't my house, but a friend's. I'm glad it wasn't my house. I was living in halls for my second year, but a few of my mates moved out into a shared house. All blokes again.

As student houses on the Basingstoke Road go, it was a bit of a dump. And in the kitchen, well it was pretty small, so they had put a fridge in the downstairs loo, which was across the corridor and also had the washing machine, tumble drier, etc. Yeah, I wasn't sure of the hygiene issue either, but the blokes living in the house didn't mind. Being blokes and not being big on cleaning, the house started to take on an odour of rotting kebab. But when you are 20 and perpetually drunk, this is no big deal really.

Soon enough, most of the uni year ticked away. Even with exams coming up after Easter, we still went out clubbing right up until the end of term. The five people sharing the house and me all went home for the Easter break. I don't know if you remember Easter in 2000, but it was absolutely roasting. Memorable for one reason only.

I was back in halls a few days before term started to help get things sorted out at the hall, but I had a call from Andy saying that he was going to be back early as well and would I mind giving him a hand carrying stuff as he lived on the top floor. What are mates for eh?

Well, I was waiting outside the house at the prearranged time and Andy was late as usual. He rang me to tell me he was just coming off the M4 as the M25 had been hell. But no, I think hell would have been pretty mild compared to what awaited us inside Andy's house.

We noticed the smell the second we got in. The sweet sickly odour of something that's been dead a long time. Andy knew that they had a problem with the occasional mouse and enlisted my help to try and find the corpse, hoping it would be somewhere easy like behind a sofa and not under the floorboards. We sniffed all round the house, and oddly enough, the smell was coming from the downstairs loo. But we were puzzled. The toilet I'll agree was filthy, but it was not a dead mouse.

Thinking that the mouse was behind one of the appliances, we decided to shift them to check. Washing machine, no; tumble drier, no; fridge...

Andy puked - luckily he made the toilet, and the smell was so bad I had to leave the room. As Andy had moved the fridge, there was a sloshing noise, the sound of spilling water and a wave of putrid gas filled the air. Gagging, Andy looked round the back of the fridge.

If you ever look behind your fridge - and because of this, I will never forget - you will see a little bucket or tray that pulls out. This is where all the water that condenses in the fridge drains to and collects. This bucket is cleverly sat next to the pump and heat exchanger so that the warmth from this machinery help the water evaporate. This is a fantastic piece of design.

Unless a rat has gotten itself stuck in the bucket and drowned. Then, together with the warmth and wetness, it becomes a perfect machine for creating rotting rat soup.

In spite of the stink, Andy knew he had to get the contents of the bucket out of the house, so he armed himself with a stick and a bin liner. He planned to fish the rat out with the stick, into the bin bag and go straight to the outside bin. Unfortunately when a rat is marinading in warm water for several weeks, this usually contributes to its reduced structural integrity. The stick went right through the rat like a hot knife through butter. This filled the water in the bucket with an even stinkier mixture of rotting rat and maggots.

Eventually he realised that the only way to deal with the matter was to dump a bottle of bleach in and head down the pub for a pint before removing the rat and contents with Marigold rubber gloves.

Ah...Reading...it explains it all :tongue:

You have impressive house mate stories, I haven't experienced anything like that just yet...2 more years to go yet though.
Reply 9
marcusfox

That is awful!
marcusfox

wow, that's ******* bad lmao
marcusfox
Oh, I have loads of stories - after uni I always end up in a new house every six months, either because I find out that one of the randomers I move in with is so disgusting, or someone moves out and life with the new resident becomes unbearable.

I'll tell you about the garlic mayo and sour milk incident I think, but I have plenty more experiences that are equally hilarious...

Well, I was living in this house in Nottingham for a couple of months, and there was an empty room. There was a call from the landlord to say that he was having someone move in and could someone be home to let him in, give him a key, etc etc.

This guy actually ended up ringing one of us, his name was Mike. Mike said that we were all going down to the Lady Bay pub, he was leaving a key on the inside of the back bathroom windowsill and he was to reach in and get it, and then meet us all down the pub.

Being frosted glass, the guy obviously couldn't see in and was groping around blind when he found it. I can only imagine what it would have been like. James was pretty much fuming when he turned up at the pub later.

Mike assured him that the substance in the condom wasn't actually cum but garlic sauce. "Don't believe me? Smell your finger". Nice!

After being in the flat for about a month, James discovered the three month old milk in the back of the fridge that was left by the previous tenant. You know how it goes with fridges, if it's not yours, you don't bother with it and if the owner isn't there, it keeps on getting more rancid as time goes by.

This milk was disgusting after three months and smelt pretty bad, but James came up with quite a prank to get back at Mike.

Mike was out, staying with with his girlfriend C at her and her parents' place. She was a lovely girl and I felt sorry for her every time she came round to stay as our place was such a tip, Mike's bedrooom even more so. James had tipped the four pint carton of rancid slop into a mixing bowl and gave it a good stir. The stench made me almost want to vomit.

James then went into Mike's room and placed this bowl under his bed, along with a copy of Red Hot 60+ and a box of Kleenex that was on Mike's table. The doors were closed and left that way until Mike got back at the weekend with C for a night of "Oh my God, we're out from under the parents' gaze lets have lots of sex" sex.

We were all in on this, and sure enough, we heard "WHAT THE HOLY ****" and sounds of an argument. Mike came storming in and demanded to know who'd replaced the air in his room with a rancid dairy product in a gaseous state.

James suggested he smell his fingers. Mike was proper angry. He went for James and we had to pull him off. Apparently the stench and the realisation that Mike was rubbing em out over grannies and then keeping the contents under his bed long enough for them to turn rancid didn't sit well with C.

James said that he could keep the mag as long as was required. Unfortunately we were laughing so hard, we couldn't stop Mike punching James this time.

LOL!! That is hilarious, who puts a condom of garlic sauce with a key in it...haha, kind of reminds me of a similar things that happen at halls.
Rep coming your way for the story, :smile:

Well basically, one night just started playing arrogance( a drinking game where you add a drink, and flip a coin if you are right, it moves on and if not you drink it) anyway, we got to a stage where you started mixing yoghurt, pasta sauce with beer, vodka...etc.. and then didnt finish the drink. It was left for weeks on the side, you could imagine how bad is was, :frown:.
So we started pre drinking, a few weeks after, and a housemate who had to finish a few drinks after some more games, and was completely smashed, a housemate that is easily convincable. Then when he didnt notice as he was being a bit annoying, a few housemates convinced him to funnel down that drink and as he started drinking it, he just projectiled vomitted everywhere.

Rep coming your way for the story, :smile:
Reply 12
marcusfox

Haha thats mad :biggrin:
Worst was when I lived with this girl in Leicester. We were a mixed house this time, three lads and two lasses and this was one of my favourite houses until this crazy girl moved in. She was referred to us by a friend who said she had nowhere to go. He neglected to tell us she had OCD. Worst thing was, we were already pretty tidy.

It was about a month before the notes started appearing. If washing up was left on the side (who dries up perfectly clean dishes with a grotty germ ridden teatowel anyway?) a note would appear asking for it to be put away. Same if the cooker started getting dirty.

We confronted her, but she got shirty and insisted she did all the work, although this work was going and doing everything we had already done as it wasn't done to her standard.

Soon it seemed like everything in the house ended up with a note on it - I still have one (and I will edit this post and add a photo) - telling me not to leave the lid of the toilet up. I'd understand if it was the seat, but the lid?!

The absolute worst was when one of the other girls knocked some rice on the floor. As she was entertaining her boyfriend with dinner, she said she'd sweep it up later. After she dealt with most of it quickly, but there were obviously some grains that she had missed.

Intending to vacuum the floor (she'd spilt it at 11pm and its not a good time to hoover) in the morning, she got up and then came and called us down to look.

On the floor were fifty five post it notes - we counted - each with an arrow pointing to a grain of rice!
Hygiene freaks. What kind of a student are you? :nothing:
Reply 15
Words cannot describe how much I would have screwed with that woman. I cannot stand people who tell you to do things like that, let alone leaving posits everywhere.
Reply 16
this is the sort of **** that scares me about uni, i don't want no dirty smelly housemates who leave pubes on the toilet seat and don't clean up after themselves and are unable to grasp the concept of basic hygiene, no ones gonna make friends with me LOOL dirty buggers
Reply 17
marcusfox

This story makes no sense whatsoever. Who is mike, the landlorn, or the guy moving in? Why was he inviting you into the pub, then reaching for the key himself?

Christ...
Reply 18
Rimipie
this is the sort of **** that scares me about uni, i don't want no dirty smelly housemates who leave pubes on the toilet seat and don't clean up after themselves and are unable to grasp the concept of basic hygiene, no ones gonna make friends with me LOOL dirty buggers

There is a difference between being clean and going nuts and OCD demanding things of your roomates that are ridiculous :o:
Reply 19
Texan88
There is a difference between being clean and going nuts and OCD demanding things of your roomates that are ridiculous :o:

yeah but some people are just disgusting, even if you're reasonable they won't change their nasty ways. i will make them drink bleach if i so much as see a dirty unwashed plate lying around eugh, nasty people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending