The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I just put that I did a year at Oxfam and what my responsibilities were.
They don't ask for evidence.
Explain what qualities you attained whilst volunteering and how it can help you in the course your studying.
its more the stuff you learnt working for the charity thats important rather than just the fact you worked there.

and a lot of the top uni's really couldn't care less about that sort of stuff. all they care about is academics. doesn't mean you shouldn't put non-academic stuff on there. just dont make a huge deal about it and waste a big chunk of your personal statement on it
Reply 3
It's not at all important, but it may be helpful if you talk about the skills you learnt from it and how it may relate to what you'd like to do in the future. I wouldn't spend longer than one or two sentences on it because there are far more useful things to discuss. There really is no point in saying 'I've done a bit of charity work' unless you have something to say that relates to it. Keep your personal statement focused on academics, career plans, why you want to study the subject and useful extra-curricular activities that are applicable to your course. Don't waste valuable space.
Reply 4
What are you applying for?
Don't lie, if they find out that's the end of your uni plans.

It depends on your course. Though it will boost your chances for anything
Reply 6
MDEH8176
It's not at all important, but it may be helpful if you talk about the skills you learnt from it and how it may relate to what you'd like to do in the future. I wouldn't spend longer than one or two sentences on it because there are far more useful things to discuss. There really is no point in saying 'I've done a bit of charity work' unless you have something to say that relates to it. Keep your personal statement focused on academics, career plans, why you want to study the subject and useful extra-curricular activities that are applicable to your course. Don't waste valuable space.

...unless applying to something like medicine, dentistry :p:
Reply 7
Organ
What are you applying for?

Politics.

I've done a tiny bit of charity work but not sure if its enough to even worth mentioning. I.e. helping out at the occassional event. I've canvassed with my MP too which is voluntary but not exactly charity I guess.
It's a bit of a cliché.

Latest

Trending

Trending