The Student Room Group

my nerves are ruining my driving!!

Scroll to see replies

If you see a doctor and tell them that you're doing well in lessons but terrible in tests they'll probably give you some beta blockers. I was on them for my test :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blocker#Anxiety_and_performance_enhancement
I had the same problem, and then Diazepam was introduced into my life.
Reply 22
Yeah I had about 50 lessons and passed second time but my foot was shaking so badly. I still suck. I'm such a wuss, why can't I be good at a masculine thing like driving? I can't even park a car close to the curb when there are no cars around. I need to pump some testosterone into myself. Sod it I'm going to watch corrie.
I have this problem too, and I've been learning on and off since February 2009 :frown:. I don't really have advice, but I'm gonna watch this thread :ninja:
i just read the thread title..... you wouldn't happen to be Michael Schumacher?
Reply 25
thanks for all the advice guys :smile:
i failed first time for not indicating before i pulled out.. which was abit stupid because i would never have done that in a lesson! and second time it all went wrong :smile:
i think i'll probs look into some herbal remedies to help relax me and definatly not tell anyone when i next book it! it's nice to know i'm not the only person who has this problem as all my friends are so relaxed and confident!
Haha!
Just ruined my second test!
Took a roundabout from the wrong lane!!!
Awwwwwwww
I wanted to cry!
I've never made such a thing but in my second test.
But I already booked the third one
Keep trying!
Reply 27
Chew gum! There is some evidence that chewing gum can increase alertness and reduce anxiety; the reason I've read was that if you are in a fight/ flight/ freeze/ flee panic you cannot eat, so if you are 'eating' (i.e. chewing) your brain thinks you must be safe.

Anecdotally, it worked for me- the hour before my test I was terrified of getting into the car, but I got some gum and felt much better while driving to the test centre- passed first time too. Worth a shot. (although Rescue Remedy is wonderful too. Beta blockers are effective BUT often make you drowsy/ upset your stomach/ increase your heart rate at first, so you'd have to take them for a couple of days beforehand.)

Quick Reply

Latest