The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mouthwash is good for your teeth.

But make sure its non alcoholic...I saw something that said alcoholic mouthwash is bad for you.
******* hell teeth are stupid, i'm with Dylan Moran, we should of just had a sucker type thing.
WTF!???? Am I to find out I've been brushing my teeth wrong for sixteen years??? :lolwut: wtf is going on. I brush my teeth, rinse my mouth out with water and occasionally use mouth wash. Is this now wrong? 0_o
Sarurrr
I don't rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth... I spit it out, why are people finding this so strange? It is better for your teeth.

Those who don't rinse the toothpaste out are said to have the strongest teeth. I don't use mouthwash very often. I never even thought about how effective toothpaste/mouthwash is if you use the mouthwash straight away to be honest...

Good idea. i will give this a go.
So what is the ideal brushing regime then because this really is quite confusing to me, seems like every 2 years i find out i brush my teeth wrong.

You wake up, brush your teeth and don't rinse. Flossing straight after i take it is still cool?

Then you leave it for 30 minutes and use mouthwash?

What about your tounge? You're meant to brush your tounge with this and still not rinse? That sounds pretty ******* gross to me. :s-smilie:
I hope not. I have done it a few times before.
MoonGazer
I've always rinsed my mouth out with water after brushing my teeth (which I tend to be fairly long on doing anyway) - my dentist has said my teeth are perfectly fine/healthy and I do believe this "it's not as good for you teeth/will reduce the effectiveness" stuff is nonsense - I use sensodyne toothpaste because I have pretty sensitive teeth - it still works and stops my teeth from hurting when I have something cold or hot to drink etc, even when I rinse my mouth out and that's with occasionally using mouthwash afterwards and rinsing my mouth after using that too.

Spot the contradiction. Sensitive teeth are caused by exposure of the nerves inside the dentin of the teeth, typically by erosion of the enamel protecting said nerves.
Reply 27
I hope I'm not the only one who read this thread and thought "wtf"...
Excuse me for the formulation hereinafter:

I thought only the Americans could be that stupid – it should be a well known fact, that rinsing after toothbrushing with a toothpaste used, is necessary.

1. It is not a toothpaste that cleans your teeth.
2. The two main purposes of a toothpaste are a) cosmetic – cleaning the teeth and freshening the breath, b) therapeutic – reducing the amount of plaque and possibly healing.
3. The most of cleaning is done mechanically, not chemically. Therefore, as you surely have noticed, you need to brush your teeth and not only to apply a toothpaste.
4. Chemically, a toothpaste contains mainly abrasives, surfactants and fluorides. The first two of them basically finish their work during the cleaning process, the fluorides may continue after, but as you might get overdosed, resulting into dental fluorosis (look it up), this fact is usually enough to rinse.
5. Toothpaste is generally not intended to be swallowed – it may cause nausea or diarrhea.
6. Think of the remaining toothpaste in your mouth as of the soap that you use to clean your hand – the bacterias remain there and by not rinsing after cleaning, it all goes with your saliva down your digestive tract.
7. Your saliva itself is protecting your teeth against pathogenic microorganisms by raising the potential of hydrogen to alkaline values (6.5-7.4). That is why people with low production of saliva usually have problems with teeth.
8. There is no "protective coat" and do not believe in something just because it was said by a doctor.
Reply 29
Mouthwash is overrated, in my view.

The material that most often does damage to the teeth is what gets wedged inbetween them. That's why toothbrush for basic coverage, combined with floss for the remote areas, presents the best combination.
Wulf chan
WTF!???? Am I to find out I've been brushing my teeth wrong for sixteen years??? :lolwut: wtf is going on. I brush my teeth, rinse my mouth out with water and occasionally use mouth wash. Is this now wrong? 0_o

+1 lol
conorcd
according to my dentist, the worst thing you can do is rinse when brushing teeth as you rinse out the toothpaste. its meant to coat your teeth and will then protect them. rinsing stops it working so well ( ihad been rinsing for years but have now seen the light)

So you brush all the plaque off your teeth...and then leave it as part of a toothpaste-plaque coating on your teeth. Sounds like bull to me, you're supposed to be getting the plaque out of your mouth. When toothpaste adverts talk about a coating they are not talking about something millimetres in thickness. Rinsing doesn't remove any effect the toothpaste is supposed to have, just as drinking water with fluoride has been very effective in preventing tooth decay without the need to smear your mouth with a literal shield of fluoride paste.
Reply 32
DoMakeSayThink
Spot the contradiction. Sensitive teeth are caused by exposure of the nerves inside the dentin of the teeth, typically by erosion of the enamel protecting said nerves.

It's not a contradiction. When I was younger, I had a lot of illnesses which meant I had to take sugary liquid antibiotics a lot and I was worse for brushing my teeth then, so for a number of years I had some awful holes in a some of my teeth. They have been filled since but I still occasionally have issues with them, there's probably some still exposed or something.

Aside from that, I don't have any cavities or anything and to be honest, I'm going to take my dentists' word over some person on tsr any day of the year. I also often get acid reflux, so that could have contributed to their sensitivity and is not necessarily something I can control. That's only a few teeth - the majority of my other non-sensitive teeth, as he has said, are in a healthy condition.
What? This thread has really confused me....people saying do not rinse your mouth with water after brushing your teeth?

But how do you make sure all the manky bits have gone...they could be mixed in with the toothpaste still in your mouth?

Why would you want that rough feeling and taste of having toothpaste in your mouth all day?

So you can't drink anything because it washes toothpaste off your teeth?

Whattttt?!
Dental Student present.

Ahem...clears throat....

Please do not use mouthwash after you brush your teeth. All you will do is remove the toothpaste from your mouth prematurely and thus wash away the ions which help remineralize the tooth structure. Very over simplified but that is the essence of it all.

Spit out the excess but do not rinse - if you want to use mouth rinse to gargle then do so before brushing or use at a later time in the day.

Ta thanks.
Life_peer
Excuse me for the formulation hereinafter:

I thought only the Americans could be that stupid it should be a well known fact, that rinsing after toothbrushing with a toothpaste used, is necessary.

1. It is not a toothpaste that cleans your teeth.
2. The two main purposes of a toothpaste are a) cosmetic cleaning the teeth and freshening the breath, b) therapeutic reducing the amount of plaque and possibly healing.
3. The most of cleaning is done mechanically, not chemically. Therefore, as you surely have noticed, you need to brush your teeth and not only to apply a toothpaste.
4. Chemically, a toothpaste contains mainly abrasives, surfactants and fluorides. The first two of them basically finish their work during the cleaning process, the fluorides may continue after, but as you might get overdosed, resulting into dental fluorosis (look it up), this fact is usually enough to rinse.
5. Toothpaste is generally not intended to be swallowed it may cause nausea or diarrhea.
6. Think of the remaining toothpaste in your mouth as of the soap that you use to clean your hand the bacterias remain there and by not rinsing after cleaning, it all goes with your saliva down your digestive tract.
7. Your saliva itself is protecting your teeth against pathogenic microorganisms by raising the potential of hydrogen to alkaline values (6.5-7.4). That is why people with low production of saliva usually have problems with teeth.
8. There is no "protective coat" and do not believe in something just because it was said by a doctor.

You have both good information and pure guff in equal measure.

To get fluorosis you'd had to chug a tube during permanent tooth development. http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/safety/enamel_fluorosis.htm

The main reason we ask you to spit out as an adult is toothpaste can be toxic in large amounts.

Toothpaste is protective as the fluoride ions integrate themselves in the chemical structure of the tooth making less soluble to acid attack.

Spit the excess only.
Wait wait wait, this is all so weird! Am I the only one who brushes their teeth with bleach?!
Reply 37
Allthewayhome
Dental Student present.

Ahem...clears throat....

Please do not use mouthwash after you brush your teeth. All you will do is remove the toothpaste from your mouth prematurely and thus wash away the ions which help remineralize the tooth structure. Very over simplified but that is the essence of it all.

Spit out the excess but do not rinse - if you want to use mouth rinse to gargle then do so before brushing or use at a later time in the day.

Ta thanks.

Ok so I'm actually curious about this now. When I brush I spit and rinse, because if I don't rinse, all of the food particles that have been stuck to my teeth stay in my mouth. So you're saying that I should just let all that stay in my mouth for the rest of the day? :s-smilie:
:rofl: can i just say i really enjoyed this thread :clap2: :rolleyes:
I've never heard it said that you should leave toothpaste in your mouth :s-smilie:

Nor does anyone I know do this :s-smilie:

What if you get thirsty? Can you not drink after brushing either? And like someone said, aren't you leaving all the bacteria and crap in your mouth if you don't wash away the toothpaste (properly, not just spit out) that has gathered it?

Sounds like BS to be honest, Ill continue to rinse thanks.

Latest