The Student Room Group

Need Advice On Application: Am I aiming too high???

Hello TSR, :biggrin:
Basically my problem is that I'm am international student hoping to apply for medicine in the UK later this year. I have a list of the universities I want to apply to, and I've already done all my research on their requirements (in terms of grades as well as admission tests). However, when I went to my school University counsellor, he said that admission in the UK for international students is VERY VERY VERY tough for medicine, and that I probably wouldn't get in... Here's some info about me.

IGCSE Grades:
Extended Mathematics: A*
Additional Mathematics: A
English Language: A*
English Literature: A*
French Second Language: A*
Arabic Second Language: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
Business: A*
ICT: A*

IB1; Mid-year Exam Grades:
Chemistry HL: 7
Biology HL: 7
Business HL: 7
English SL: 7
French SL: 6
Mathematics SL: 7

IB1; End-of-year Exam Grades:
Chemistry HL: 7
Biology HL: 7
Business HL: 7
English SL: 6
French SL: 7
Mathematics SL: 7

I also do quite a lot of Extra-curriculars:
AMMUN
THIMUN
Interpol Speaking Competition
President of School Charity Group
Riding for the Disabled
Formula One in Schools
2 Weeks Shadowing in Hospital
1 Week Shadowing in Private Clinic
I also plan on volunteering in a local charity.

The Universities I want to apply to are:
UCL -- Med
Kings -- Med
Edinburgh -- Med
Glasgow -- Med
Imperial -- Biomed

Am I aiming too high, for an International Student?? Should I target universities with lower requirements??? I'd appreciate any feedback :yep:
Why not med at Imperial?
Reply 2
I can't really give much advice. This might get moved somewhere else (eg. medicine) so you can get a better response.

But those are impressive grades and an extensive list of extra-curriculars. Just don't make a personal statement too extra-curricular heavy. A medical school will be far more interested in academics, your reasons for studying medicine and experience.

They are worth mentioning especially if you can show what you've learned or skills you've developed and how these are relevant to medicine. But don't go overboard with them or just list them. UK unis are not US unis :p:

ritchie888
Why not med at Imperial?

Because I think an applicant can only apply to four medical schools and the OP probably wants some non-London choices hence Edinburgh and Glasgow (and might prefer their course).
Reply 3
I'm not an expert on international applications, but your general profile looks good - I wouldn't say you're aiming too high. It will be very competive though!

Perhaps some longer term work experience would be a good idea (like the volunteering you've suggested).

I'll let others who know more about applying as an international give you some more specific advice.

ritchie888
Why not med at Imperial?

You're only allowed 4 med choices per cycle.
Reply 4
Your grades look fine though there is a lot of competition for international students in medicine as places are limited.
The unis seem OK though you will still need to do your BMAT and UKCAT. As long as you like the course then go for it.
All the best
River85
Because I think an applicant can only apply to four medical schools and the OP probably wants some non-London choices hence Edinburgh and Glasgow (and might prefer their course).

Markh1000
You're only allowed 4 med choices per cycle.

Oh I see. Learn something new everyday.
Reply 6
Yay Glasgow :smile:

Can I suggest you look at B'ham as well, as your gcse's are high

TBH I'd say go for it, yes it is very hard, esp as international, but your application looks pretty good for me.

If you get an interview at Glasgow, let me know if you need any advice :smile:
Reply 7
Your profile is very good, while international entry is regarded as being very tough, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot with those options. That's only my not very well qualified opinion, though.
Go for it your applicant profile is very good, but as most people in here have said, im not clued up on the international applicant pool, process, etc :sad:
but i'd be very surprised if you were to be rejected from all after supporting that profile with a good PS,

this'll probs be merged with one of the uber massive mega angst threads soon
Reply 9
Hi Taigan,

I face a similar dilemma to you. The Universities you've chosen are generally very highly ranked so obviously there's going to be quite a lot of competition. London Universities tend to attract a lot of international students, and Scottish/Welsh/Irish ones less. I know a University that takes a large number of international students (35 or so) is St.Andrews. But you look like you could be getting 44/45 points at IB and your IGCSEs are all rather amazing.

I know this is sort of a wishy-washy response. But what I would say mostly is that you only want to apply to places you really want to go to as opposed to just playing the statistics game. Out of curiousity are you applying anywhere other than the UK? (:

Latest

Trending

Trending