The Student Room Group

Post study work Visa

Scroll to see replies

chocolat321
Is there a way to get your student visa quicker than usual?

Depends where you are applying from. Your UK consulate/embassy may have an in-person service similar to if you were applying within the UK. I know this is true for my particular country in certain regions(North East-US), but not all. You may be able to find this out on the ukvisas.gov.uk page. If you state your country maybe someone on TSR would be able to advise more accurately :dontknow:

...Oops, Joneal beat me! Listen to him :smile:
WaltzvWendt
Anyone else reading the board and has an idea of doing a UK PhD after PSW.....don't do it! Apply STRAIGHT during your MSc. I did the former (didn't feel I could make a decent app with all the MSc stress), and a year ago they placed an addendum that the PSW can only be granted ONCE. You can't do MSc-->PSW-->PhD-->PSW. You would have to do a Tier 1 General ,unless you are very lucky and you get a job that will fight for a non-EU worker to sponsor for Tier 2 (which they would have to prove no EU worker fits the bill). Problem is, mathematically you will be unable to earn the points. Because it will be decided upon based on previous earnings i.e. the immediate >2 years prior. And Catch-22, the Tier 4 places hourly working restrictions....somehow the Home Office always finds out if you "over-worked".

I had a question about this. Do you have to show your earnings for Tier 1(General) even during your time as a student?!
chocolat321
I had a question about this. Do you have to show your earnings for Tier 1(General) even during your time as a student?!

No, it's the 12 months preceding your studies that count.
Chocolat321
X....

Pink Bullets

What Pink Bullets says is right. I was mistaken :o: , after rereading the General Guidance, money is only counted when under an immigration tier that specifically allows the salaried employment to take place. So the PSW. I guess if you want to go into Tier 1 smoothly after further study, you would make sure to be salaried preferably for at least 12 months beforehe continuation of studies.

You would have to be careful for the previous earnings calculation, it may not make much difference if the next qualification is an MSc that only takes one year. But this could be enough to shove a person above a border-line of a caste in "age attribute" points. This would then demand a higher amount of proof in previous salary earnings in order to earn all the points in PBS. The older you are at the time of application, the higher your earnings have to be. So lots of prior calculations in terms of wages and age of completion would have to be done if planning the Degree --> PSW --> 2nd degree --> Tier 1 (General). It makes things not so impossible, provided a job would be found with that amount of salary.
WaltzvWendt
What Pink Bullets says is right. I was mistaken :o: , after rereading the General Guidance, money is only counted when under an immigration tier that specifically allows the salaried employment to take place. So the PSW. I guess if you want to go into Tier 1 smoothly after further study, you would make sure to be salaried preferably for at least 12 months beforehe continuation of studies.

You would have to be careful for the previous earnings calculation, it may not make much difference if the next qualification is an MSc that only takes one year. But this could be enough to shove a person above a border-line of a caste in "age attribute" points. This would then demand a higher amount of proof in previous salary earnings in order to earn all the points in PBS. The older you are at the time of application, the higher your earnings have to be. So lots of prior calculations in terms of wages and age of completion would have to be done if planning the Degree --> PSW --> 2nd degree --> Tier 1 (General). It makes things not so impossible, provided a job would be found with that amount of salary.

I did not realise the rule changed last year. That your study period is included. Read several articles which said the same. How on earth can you earn any points under earnings when you work part time?!
My masters is for 2 years and I applied for PSW earlier already so can't get that again.
Pink Bullets

I read on the UKBA website that this rule was changed in October 2009.
And this: http://www.workpermit.com/news/2009-09-29/uk/changes-to-uk-tier-1-visa-from-1-october-2009.htm
chocolat321
And this: http://www.workpermit.com/news/2009-09-29/uk/changes-to-uk-tier-1-visa-from-1-october-2009.htm

My bad. :smile:
chocolat321

...good find on that last link! Now I'm lost. Argh. Well what's done is done in our cases for the PSW already being used. The laws change all the time. I saw a few places in the area in the UK that offer free immigration counselling and universities have international student support that are also well-versed in immigration, when the time comes of course. IMO as disheartening as it may be, it's best to realize that going back home is a very real possibility. So have some plan in place instead of giving 100% to the UK and don't let the immigration categories take up too much worry. It's stress that you don't need. It's become a very fickle immigration and job market for graduates in recent years.
WaltzvWendt
...good find on that last link! Now I'm lost. Argh. Well what's done is done in our cases for the PSW already being used. The laws change all the time. I saw a few places in the area in the UK that offer free immigration counselling and universities have international student support that are also well-versed in immigration, when the time comes of course. IMO as disheartening as it may be, it's best to realize that going back home is a very real possibility. So have some plan in place instead of giving 100% to the UK and don't let the immigration categories take up too much worry. It's stress that you don't need. It's become a very fickle immigration and job market for graduates in recent years.

Yeah, because, as has already been said, it's virtually impossible to get a Tier 2.
The reasoning was that it is for the best of the job market.
Do you have any idea about how much one can earn working part time?
chocolat321
Yeah, because, as has already been said, it's virtually impossible to get a Tier 2.
The reasoning was that it is for the best of the job market.
Do you have any idea about how much one can earn working part time?

Well, if 20 hrs/week allowed during term-time * the new 5.93 GBP minimum wage to be instituted in October 2010. You can earn at least 118.6 GBP/week. Outside of term-time you can earn at least 237.20 GBP/week.

I'd pull up the academic year calendar for your uni to calculate how many weeks you'd precisely have for full-time vs. part-time work weeks within the 15 month period.
WaltzvWendt
Well, if 20 hrs/week allowed during term-time * the new 5.93 GBP minimum wage to be instituted in October 2010. You can earn at least 118.6 GBP/week. Outside of term-time you can earn at least 237.20 GBP/week.

I'd pull up the academic year calendar for your uni to calculate how many weeks you'd precisely have for full-time vs. part-time work weeks within the 15 month period.

Lol, whatever it may be, it's going to be nowhere near adequate to earn even 5 points under previous earnings. :frown:
I didn't know about the rule that you can get a PSW visa only once earlier. Damn.
WaltzvWendt

By the way, if you have to leave, will you try to enter with tier 1 later?
chocolat321
By the way, if you have to leave, will you try to enter with tier 1 later?

Well I'll try Tier 2 first. If that doesn't work it's too much hassle going through all this again and I may just try to make a nice life in one of the cities back home. I'm not that much in love with the place that I can't be happy elsewhere :wink: . Most of the agony is due to being in a longterm relationship with a European (6 years).
WaltzvWendt
Well I'll try Tier 2 first. If that doesn't work it's too much hassle going through all this again and I may just try to make a nice life in one of the cities back home. I'm not that much in love with the place that I can't be happy elsewhere :wink: . Most of the agony is due to being in a longterm relationship with a European (6 years).

You could move to the Continent. :biggrin:
I'm about to start an MSC at LSE this fall....i'll be done by next summer. I'm assuming I'll have to switch from Tier 4 to "Post Study Work" status and then maybe to Tier 1 (HSWP).
Does this above transition from one status to another require sponsorship from employers?
Are employers involved in this process at all, or is just the student?
I'm worried my international student status might hamper job prospects in the UK.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
arctic_toon
I'm about to start an MSC at LSE this fall....i'll be done by next summer. I'm assuming I'll have to switch from Tier 4 to "Post Study Work" status and then maybe to Tier 1 (HSWP).
Does this above transition from one status to another require sponsorship from employers?
Are employers involved in this process at all, or is just the student?
I'm worried my international student status might hamper job prospects in the UK.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

No, you only require a sponsor for a Tier 2 visa, not for a Tier 1 (General) visa or a PSW visa.
Reply 56
How much is the processing times for this visa? Is there any fast track visa service for this?
WaltzvWendt
Anyone else reading the board and has an idea of doing a UK PhD after PSW.....don't do it! Apply STRAIGHT during your MSc. I did the former (didn't feel I could make a decent app with all the MSc stress), and a year ago they placed an addendum that the PSW can only be granted ONCE. You can't do MSc-->PSW-->PhD-->PSW. You would have to do a Tier 1 General ,unless you are very lucky and you get a job that will fight for a non-EU worker to sponsor for Tier 2 (which they would have to prove no EU worker fits the bill). Problem is, mathematically you will be unable to earn the points. Because it will be decided upon based on previous earnings i.e. the immediate >2 years prior. And Catch-22, the Tier 4 places hourly working restrictions....somehow the Home Office always finds out if you "over-worked".

Good to know. Definitely.
mel*~
How much is the processing times for this visa? Is there any fast track visa service for this?

I think there is.
Just working on my PSW application now.... I think I'm mostly sorted as far as that goes but was looking at what I would need to do in order to stay on afterwards and... WOW! They seem to have raised the # of points required for Tier 1 General to 100, also raised the threshold of earnings, so as a person under 30 with a Masters degree I would have to be making 35k in a year?!?!?! Am I understanding this correctly? Wasn't it 20k or 25k just a year ago? 35k seems completely impossible and unrealistic for just about anyone I would think, esp. since I graduated with an arts degree....although 20 or 25k would have been completely doable as I do have work experience and I don't think I would accept a job that paid me less than that anyways. What is the rationale behind making it so high, I feel like literally noone is going to be able to stay, which defeats the whole purpouse of PSW in the first place :frown:. Luckily I'm Canadian so technically I would qualify for the youth mobility scheme visa at that time, which I may do... and who knows I may even get a marriage proposal by then, :wink: but don't want to have to do it for that reason as that's just awkward! .. Thoughts, anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest