The Student Room Group

The New Architecture FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't get it, portfolio wise, if you apply to 5 unis for architecture does that mean you need to do 5 portfolios all with different artworks?... can you just take pics of your work and use them in the portfolio?
Original post by 03eminor
I don't get it, portfolio wise, if you apply to 5 unis for architecture does that mean you need to do 5 portfolios all with different artworks?... can you just take pics of your work and use them in the portfolio?

You use photos, most ask for digital portfolios.
Only take original work to interviews.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by 03eminor

you don't need to do 5 different portfolios. Just do one.
On Kent's website they ask for 320 from 3.5 A levels, so that's not the same as ABB as listed here.
Original post by aJohnsonsun
On Kent's website they ask for 320 from 3.5 A levels, so that's not the same as ABB as listed here.

Notice I've put the points for unis that ask for points, and grades for unis that ask for grades, the brackets help you compare across them all, that's the point of the list.

They don't specify the number of A-levels required, just that the total max equivalent is 3.5 A-levels (7 ASs), with a minimum of two A-level Bs.
So 320 points could be anything from A*A*c to BCCa or BBdddd even.
Reply 25
In the portfolio, is it worth putting in abstract paintings?
Original post by thatgirl07
In the portfolio, is it worth putting in abstract paintings?

Depends how abstract. Obviously it's a waste of time to put in something like Pollock, but something that shows particular spatial qualities or has lots of mixed up ideas is good.
Reply 27
Original post by GormlessWonder
Depends how abstract. Obviously it's a waste of time to put in something like Pollock, but something that shows particular spatial qualities or has lots of mixed up ideas is good.

Say for example I built a 3D model out of matchsticks then used chalk and charcoal to make an abstract sketch of it. Would that be over stepping the mark?
Original post by thatgirl07
Say for example I built a 3D model out of matchsticks then used chalk and charcoal to make an abstract sketch of it. Would that be over stepping the mark?

Not really, sounds good.
By the way, Jrhartley's portfolio example link on the first page doesn't seem to be working.
By the way, Jrhartley's portfolio example link on the first page doesn't seem to be working.

Must have been since TSR switched servers. I'll put mine up for now, and anyone else who wants to submit theirs can be put in the sticky post.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but. With the portfolio, if you haven't got any 3d model work would it be worth it to buy the equipment and make a 3d model for the portfolio so it's not just sketches and computer graphics.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but. With the portfolio, if you haven't got any 3d model work would it be worth it to buy the equipment and make a 3d model for the portfolio so it's not just sketches and computer graphics.

Yeah, don't put in too much computer graphics, try paintings as well. They prefer to see sculpture type things not models of buildings, so give it a go if you've got ideas.
Please update this because the tariff points and the grades have all been raised
East London:260
London South Bank:220
Greenwich:260
and some other ones but you have to look them up and Im quite skeptical from the architecture course in University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martins I think its only shapes and objects or something like that please update for people who are applying or thinking of applying 2011-2012
Original post by ziad aka zoohands
Please update this because the tariff points and the grades have all been raised
East London:260
London South Bank:220
Greenwich:260
and some other ones but you have to look them up and Im quite skeptical from the architecture course in University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martins I think its only shapes and objects or something like that please update for people who are applying or thinking of applying 2011-2012

Feel free to do it mate, took me about 6 hours last time. The primary sources are the RIBA accredited courses list and the university websites. As I've put, the list is correct as of this summer.
1.6GHz Dual Core/X2 Processor
1024Mb DDR2 RAM
100GB Hard Disk Drive
256MB Graphics Card
CD/DVD RW Combo
1280 x 1024 Display Resolution

this is seriously a low spec... especially the graphics card unless the student plans to do all their project by hand.
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
1.6GHz Dual Core/X2 Processor
1024Mb DDR2 RAM
100GB Hard Disk Drive
256MB Graphics Card
CD/DVD RW Combo
1280 x 1024 Display Resolution

this is seriously a low spec... especially the graphics card unless the student plans to do all their project by hand.

Yeah, that was written years ago as a minium spec.
For anyone coming in now, realistically, you need the second tier laptops, the ones going for about £900.
Reply 37
hi,
will be applying this september, got one question to ask, at present i am doing my 10+2 from new delhi (india), now in india we have a different system from A-LEVELS.
we have cbse ......how should i proceed? i am thinking of applying to cardiff, sheffield, westminister...
thanx
Reply 38
Brighton is now AAB :smile:
Original post by sandy42900
hi,
will be applying this september, got one question to ask, at present i am doing my 10+2 from new delhi (india), now in india we have a different system from A-LEVELS.
we have cbse ......how should i proceed? i am thinking of applying to cardiff, sheffield, westminister...
thanx

I'm not sure. :s-smilie: Bump, to see if anyone else knows! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending