The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
I think you should be allowed to smoke in your own house/garden or if you have permission from the property owner. I also despise when people smoke in front of me whilst walking along and I have to cross the road. I shouldn't have to cross the road because someone is enforcing their disgusting habit on me.

I'm well aware their have been studies which say that passive smoking doesn't really affect people that much, however passive smoke gives me a headache and also causes nausea, so its not really fair that I should have to encounter that while I'm happily walking down the street just because they are being inconsiderate.
Reply 321
Magic_007
If alcohol which you agree if discovered today would be banned and cigarettes were banned as well, there would be no-one to arrest. You can eat burgers and chocolate, it's only when people eat in excess then it's unhealthy.
The government should allow for free gyms for everyone to use and build more.
In schools and colleges, compulsory P.E, could be implemented an hour a day.
It's the duty of the government to protect it's citizens, no?
Wouldn't you like more better-looking people in the U.k? :biggrin:

You're a communist.

I would rather have freedom of choice than a few slimmer people.

Burgers and chocolate are detrimental to your health but, just like alcohol, they are fine when taken in moderation. Some people binge on alcohol and damage their bodies, some people binge on high calorie fatty foods which damage their bodies - they all have to be banned in your utopian dream.

Magic_007
It's the duty of the government to protect it's citizens, no?

In terms of threats of violence from other nations, yes. In terms of internal threats of violence - murderers etc. - yes. In terms of imposing legislated life choices on its own citizens, hell no. This brings me back to my point, what right do you have to tell me that I cannot drink or smoke? What right do I have to tell you that you cannot, for example, eat processed meat? It's the same principle.
EDIT
You're a communist.
You're a death wisher.

I would rather have freedom of choice than a few slimmer people.
Freedom of choice is limited.

Burgers and chocolate are detrimental to your health but, just like alcohol, they are fine when taken in moderation. Some people binge on alcohol and damage their bodies, some people binge on high calorie fatty foods which damage their bodies - they all have to be banned in your utopian dream.
Well, we've all seen the moderation.

In terms of threats of violence from other nations, yes. In terms of internal threats of violence - murderers etc. - yes. In terms of imposing legislated life choices on its own citizens, hell no. This brings me back to my point, what right do you have to tell me that I cannot drink or smoke? What right do I have to tell you that you cannot, for example, eat processed meat? It's the same principle.

Even though I understand it's a principle, drinking and smoking are life-threatening, meat isn't.
Just for the record, I don't eat processed meat.

O.k, I understand your principle of freedom of choice, this is right, you should be allowed to drink and smoke, but only at your own home.
Reply 323
Magic_007
You're a death wisher.

Hardly, I don't encourage anyone to smoke. Nor do I discourage them, each to his own. It is none of my business whether or not you or anyone else smokes. I do believe everyone should have the choice though.

Freedom of choice is limited.

Too limited.

Well, we've all seen the moderation.

Students are not representative of the general population.

Even though I understand it's a principle, drinking and smoking are life-threatening, meat isn't.
Just for the record, I don't eat processed meat.

Alcohol is nowhere near life threatening unless you consume vast amounts, it can actually have health benefits. On a parallel, if you consume vast amounts of meats you will get obese and your health will suffer enormously.

O.k, I understand your principle of freedom of choice, this is right, you should be allowed to drink and smoke, but only at your own home.

I thought you wanted it all made illegal for the greater good of peoples health? What about a restaurant - which are privately owned, just like someone's home - should you be allowed to have a drink with your meal assuming the owner allows it?
i said that i think smoking should be banned completely and someone replied with "why stop there? why not kill all smokers"... LOOOL
smokers can suck my dick

i support the motion that they should be banned from near doorways - but on the street is prob too excessive.
Reply 326
I would love to let people do exactly what they want.

But not when high numbers of other people get damaged or disgusted.

My nextdoor neighbour smokes like a chimney in his garden and the smoke goes over his fence and into our house. It's summer. I want the god damn windows open.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the appeal. I feel like I should throw some rubbish every now and then into his garden and see how he bloody likes it.

Alcohol, etc. is fine as one can have a drink without ruining someone else's night. Drinking to excess and causing harm and so on is antisocial behaviour and illegal anyway. My work is done.
JRaphael
I would love to let people do exactly what they want.

But not when high numbers of other people get damaged or disgusted.

My nextdoor neighbour smokes like a chimney in his garden and the smoke goes over his fence and into our house. It's summer. I want the god damn windows open.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the appeal. I feel like I should throw some rubbish every now and then into his garden and see how he bloody likes it.

Alcohol, etc. is fine as one can have a drink without ruining someone else's night. Drinking to excess and causing harm and so on is antisocial behaviour and illegal anyway. My work is done.

get it done then big man, dont forget to tell us how it went when your lying in hozzy after he breaks your jaw:rolleyes:
Reply 328
terry mccann
get it done then big man, dont forget to tell us how it went when your lying in hozzy after he breaks your jaw:rolleyes:

Another point well missed; see, that's the difference. I could do something anti-social but I don't. My thing's illegal, his isn't. Go figure.
well i guess your just gona have to put up with it then aint ya?
Well thanks for all the replies. Frankly I think smokers should be able to smoke as long as they don't make non-smokers breath it. The problem with allowing smoking in doorways or the streets is that smokers make non-smokers breath their horrible junk in, which I think is wrong.

My conclusion: smokers should only be allowed to smoke behind closed doors in their own homes, but not in public where there's a chance non-smokers will be affected by it.
Reply 331
Short answer: NO

Latest

Trending

Trending