The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Why should it be banned? I find it offensive already that people are not allowed to smoke in pubs, a pub does not belong to the government and they should have no right to ban smoking inside them. I do not even smoke and I find these kind of ideas very controlling and damaging to our civil liberties.
Anon_By_Choice
Every day when I'm down town, people are smoking everywhere and it seems like most town centres are like one big smoking room these days as nobody can smoke inside.

I'm so sick of people walking in front of me who light up a cig and then blow the smoke in my face. It's just so inconsiderate and ruins my day.

Also, I'm sick of people smoking in doorways. As you can't smoke inside, whenever I walk out of a shop etc there's always someone standing in the doorway smoking and I have to hold my nose to get through.

Should smoking in the street be banned?

Should smoking in doorways be banned?

Should there be a rule that you can't smoke within 50 metres of a doorway. As smoke from doorways drifts inside and also is unpleasant for non-smokers who walk outside from a clean building into a cloud of dirty smoke.

Oh don't be so silly! - I'm not pro or anti smokers - but really - when I see morbidly obese people eating burgers in the street I'm offended, they are damaging they're health- and according to your theory they shouldn't be allowed to eat on the street. Smokers are already not allowed to smoke inside - and must go out in the rain, so you are already safe when you go into somewhere - why try and control the streets as well?

You only live once! Why get annoyed by the little things!
Jeester
Murdering is not always instant, you could make it slow, like passive smoking. Smoking should be illegal, it might not be as bad as murder but it is definatly as bad as manslaughter.
"It was estimated that prolonged exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke, such as in the home, increases the risk of lung cancer by approximately 20 to 25%."
http://www.stopsmokingtoday.com/dync/13/Passive_Smoking.html

I'm sorry I find what you say very insulting! - I'm not a smoker - but my Mum is - what you are saying is essentially calling her a murder - which I find a disgusting accusation.
I agree that people at work shouldn't be allowed fag breaks, because I never got to just leave for ten minutes, well I did because I went out with some girl on her break, wasn't really supossed to but ahh well.

I think it's a touchy subject, I think maybe you shouldn't be able to smoke in places like town centres, but just generally on the street you should be able to & in your own doorway of course!
Reply 84
Jeester
It's a drain on the NHS.
There are worse things in the world yes... but that doesn't mean smoking shouldn't be banned.

No, it isn't. Tax revenue from smoking is about 5 times the healthcare cost, so if anything smoking benefits the NHS.

Google for figures.

There's also no solid evidence that second hand smoke is even remotely harmful at realistic quantities.

I suggest you gain some knowledge before you form your opinions.
Reply 85
DaveSmith99
People who over eat know it is harmful to their health, people who do extreme sports know there is a high risk.

The examples I gave were extreme, I was trying to say that it is difficult to draw the line between what is acceptable and not.

We live in a free society and should not have freedoms limited by the state. If I want to drink, I should be able to. If I want to smoke (which I don't), then I should be able to. If I want to spend my time BASE jumping of cliffs, I should be able to.

Yes, I'm fine with that, but you shouldn't harm or compramise ANYONE else.
Do you understand?
Even if it is the tiniest amount! (And that includes the trauma to family losing loved ones to smoking and things!)
Reply 86
Shadowman786
I hate people like you. Isn't it enough that it's already banned indoors (and that's on health reasons)...now you want it banned outdoors, because you don't like it.

Get a life, seriously.

I hate people like you, who seem to think that non-smokers complain for no good reason. I like to walk down a busy street and not inhale smoke from a packed crowd. Both for its unpleasant aspect(smokers dont seem to realise the smell is like sh*t to people who don't smoke) and for my own health, I dont really care tht people smoke, but I hate when some smokers seem to think they can do whatever they want and not consider that others dont want to choke on their habit, making people view all smokers like that.

I dont think a complete ban is neccessary at all, but I think definately on high streets where the crowds are so packed you cant avoid it, its not fair on other people.
If I stood beside you waiting for the bus and started slowly releasing poison gas you would want me to be stopped from doing it. So calm yourself down and actually think about the OP's point.
Reply 87
Planto
No, it isn't. Tax revenue from smoking is about 5 times the healthcare cost, so if anything smoking benefits the NHS.

Google for figures.

There's also no solid evidence that second hand smoke is even remotely harmful at realistic quantities.

I suggest you gain some knowledge before you form your opinions.

And I suggest that you look at the rest of the thread before commenting. Read everything I have writen as I am tired of repeating myself to halfwits.
Doorways? Yes. It's gross (and I smoke).

In the street? No way.
Reply 89
lacelicker
I'm sorry I find what you say very insulting! - I'm not a smoker - but my Mum is - what you are saying is essentially calling her a murder - which I find a disgusting accusation.

Unlucky for you, I cannot believe that you have not convinced her to quit, the fact that you havn't shows how little you care for her and that is disgusting.
If you have lived with her then you know you are 25-30% more likely to get lung cancer?
She obviously doesn't care for you and you for her.
Reply 90
lacelicker
Oh don't be so silly! - I'm not pro or anti smokers - but really - when I see morbidly obese people eating burgers in the street I'm offended, they are damaging they're health- and according to your theory they shouldn't be allowed to eat on the street. Smokers are already not allowed to smoke inside - and must go out in the rain, so you are already safe when you go into somewhere - why try and control the streets as well?

You only live once! Why get annoyed by the little things!

You can avert your eyes but not your nose.
Jeester
Yes, I'm fine with that, but you shouldn't harm or compramise ANYONE else.
Do you understand?
Even if it is the tiniest amount! (And that includes the trauma to family losing loved ones to smoking and things!)

Walking past someone who is smoking in the street causes no harm.

So you want to see everything that can cause death banned then to prevent trauma to family members, including, coffee, junk food, driving, walking down the road etc?
Reply 92
DaveSmith99
Walking past someone who is smoking in the street causes no harm.

So you want to see everything that can cause death banned then to prevent trauma to family members, including, coffee, junk food, driving, walking down the road etc?

No, you still don't seem to be getting it, I want everything that DEFINATLY shortens your life banned.
Jeester
No, you still don't seem to be getting it, I want everything that DEFINATLY shortens your life banned.

Over eating shortens your life. Coffee causes cancer, just like smoking.
Wouldn't really change anything. No point.
Anon_By_Choice
and ruins my day.

your post ruined my day. I think you should be illegal. Why don't you move to the Moon?
Reply 96
It should definitely be banned in doorways but NOT outside on the street.I am a smoker but I"m considerate to those that dont smoke. I will stand some distance away , put my butt in the bin when I"m finished and at home I smoke in the garden.Yes I know its bad for me, but its my choice, I pay enough tax on them to pay for any NHS care when ( or if ) it comes to it.
Reply 97
DaveSmith99
Over eating shortens your life. Coffee causes cancer, just like smoking.

And I think fat people should not be allowed.
Does coffee always definatly cause detramental effects? So if I ate a coffee bean is it bad for me? (Not so sure on coffee!)
Jeester
And I think fat people should not be allowed.
Does coffee always definatly cause detramental effects? So if I ate a coffee bean is it bad for me? (Not so sure on coffee!)

No, but smoking one drag on a fag isn't going to shorten your life either.

You want to turn the country into a police state where people have no freedoms and are wrapped in bubble wrap by the state to stop them doing harm to themselves. That does not sound like somewhere I, or the vast majority of people, want to live.
Gjaykay
*sighs* So basically because of people like you I can't have a fag with a pint and now you're still bitching about it? Piss off and grow up.

Exactly - in the winter all those smug non smokers were laughing at how smokers were condemned to standing in the rain and wind, now it summer - the shoes on the other foot - and thier complaining that we are now in the beer gardens smoking when that’s where they want us in the first place

Jeester
They should smoke in their own homes or not at all.
Man the **** up and quit instead of weining when their being so selfish.
It's disgusting and immoral to smoke.

oh blow it out your ass and get off your high horse. Many smokers smoke because they like it. As for smoking only in their own houses - in a word no. Disgusting yeah i might grant in certain circumstances you - immoral no more so than driving a car which pumps out its own sets of poisons

Jeester
It's a drain on the NHS.
There are worse things in the world yes... but that doesn't mean smoking shouldn't be banned.

NHS argument doesn’t work as smokers through taxation pay a lot more into the NHS than lets say for instance you. Also the amount smokers take out of the NHS is less than what they put in

VansHalfCabs
Lol true, no one follows that though.

Some guy was smoking on the bus the other week I was abit like :wtf:

Meh.

now that i hate - and im a smoker

Emmie3303
We were at a nice open air rooftop bar/cafe in Torquay the other day enjoying a drink in the sun and the guys at the next table lit up. All you could smell was cigarette smoke and it ruined it for us :frown:.

now the cynic bitter smoker in me says tough in regards to that. Smokers were pushed outside with no choice in the matter and no matter the weather. You however chose to sit in the open air instead of inside so you accept that if you sit outside then there may well be smokers. My argument is the same for beer gardens. I am a considerate smoker, if im at a table i will always angle my cigarette and where i blow my smoke away from others, however i cant control the wind

Magic_007
:yep: I'd readily ban cigarettes if I was in power.

No you wouldn’t - there is a very good reason why the government doesn’t ban cigarettes and alcohol, it makes them far too much money

Latest

Trending

Trending