The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
EternalDoom
Hoping to study medicine. I know it's a competitive field to study btw, and if I don't get in, i want to study something science-related at least. I did most of those history and arts subjects at GCSE. I'm trying to make my A-Level subjects more focused towards science as that is what I want to study into in the future, so I decided not to take subjects like history and such for A-levels.

Yes I agree with the person who said you should do atleast one arts/languages subject even up to AS. Arts subjects include Art, History, English Literature, English Lang, Economics, Law etc. Languages is obvious. Choosing an art subject will allow you to stand out from the rest of medicine applicants because you are seen to be well-rounded.
Reply 181
well id say if you want to study medicine start volunteering and work experience now
EternalDoom
For Maths, my school is doing AQA

my school does the same and its not bad, if your a mathsy person then you'll be laughing at how easy it is
c1 is like gcse in my opinion with some added bits
c2 is also straight forward nothing hard at all
c3 is where you've got to use your brain, the hardest normal maths module in my opinion but still its not that bad
c4 meh
Jhyzone
Yes I agree with the person who said you should do atleast one arts/languages subject even up to AS. Arts subjects include Art, History, English Literature, English Lang, Economics, Law etc. Languages is obvious. Choosing an art subject will allow you to stand out from the rest of medicine applicants because you are seen to be well-rounded.

Hmm okay, I'll take that into account. I get one final chance to change any subjects for Year 12 sometime in early September before it all starts.
Reply 184
I took psychology at AS. There were many studies, and being a bit of a rebel at AS, I didn't do half as much studying as I should have. As somebody else said not many of the studies were interesting but there were some. Many of my friends came out thinking they'd done really well, myself included, and I only know two people, in my entire year, who got above a C and I'm yet to meet anybody who got an A. We were the first to change exam boards so that may have been the reason, but I'd hope your teachers can actually teach, so you probably wouldn't have that problem.
bio - lots of memorising little details, less about the skill. however a lot of it is interesting :smile: i did OCR and the last few chapters are all about evolution/biodiversity etc - not my cup of tea but may be yours?

chem - i love it. more skills-based than bio.. i did AQA and found the first module really easy, though i would suggest asking your school to let you take both modules in june. this is because the first module is repeated through the second so youd be bound to do a loooot better - also, many unis prefer you to take all modules at once (especially for medicine)

psychology - the vast majority of it is just memorising case studies (AQA A) and it isnt hard at all. very interesting though :smile:
hey_its_nay
my school does the same and its not bad, if your a mathsy person then you'll be laughing at how easy it is
c1 is like gcse in my opinion with some added bits
c2 is also straight forward nothing hard at all
c3 is where you've got to use your brain, the hardest normal maths module in my opinion but still its not that bad
c4 meh

I'm getting A* in Maths in GCSE so hopefully it'll go well. I just struggle in what teachers call 'thinking outside of the box' and takes me some time before I figure out the solution to a problem, and until then I normally just stare it for so long lol. So, basically, I feel like I am kind of slow at spotting on what method / calculation to use in a problem etc.
maths, bio and chemo are very easy, lots to remember but easy :biggrin:
I heard that there are 'practical exams' for Biology and Chemistry?? How are those?
toronto353
Maths OCR is usually very easy. Papers predictable as they set questions along the same lines as their previous papers.

Hey, did you do the OCR Mei specification. I'll be doing that in september but have always been with edexcel. Did you find it easy?
EternalDoom
I heard that there are 'practical exams' for Biology and Chemistry?? How are those?

Anyone? Sorry kinda extra curious on this question :rolleyes:
suicidaloverbusiness
Hey, did you do the OCR Mei specification. I'll be doing that in september but have always been with edexcel. Did you find it easy?

Just did OCR normal maths not MEI. However, looking at the papers for MEI, it doesn't look any more difficult or easy than MEI.
EternalDoom
Anyone? Sorry kinda extra curious on this question :rolleyes:

I believe, although I am only going on what I heard, that you will do ISAs which are in a similar style to GCSE for the practical side of the subject.
EternalDoom
For Maths and Psychology, my school is doing AQA. Biology and Chemistry is OCR.

Omg i've just realised you're bengali. :woo: snap dude! :five:
toronto353
Just did OCR normal maths not MEI. However, looking at the papers for MEI, it doesn't look any more difficult or easy than MEI.

Ok cool.
As has been said before, it depends on the boards your on alot.

I did Biology, theres alot to learn and remember especially in A2. You really have to know your stuff if your going for the top grades. Its really not like GCSE where you can waffle your way through!

Chemistry, well I did OCR Salters first. My teacher were more than awful. One teacher only offered help if you were a favourite. I struggled and so he wouldnt help me and I did awfully. I generally dislike the course too. Ive not met one person who does like the course to be honest apart from my teacher obviously! Theres also a synoptic paper which can be difficult depending on how well you retain information. I came out of that exam with 26/120 because I just didnt ask for help which is obviously my fault. Overall I got a D and missed my grade for uni.

I have since gone back to a different college (teacher wouldnt teach me if I went back to school!) and I'm now doing OCR A. This is a much nicer course if you ask me and my grades proved it. With salters I only got D's. Nothing above this. In my january results I got an A and a C (repeating the whole course in 2 years A- AS C-A2). I'm now waiting for my overall grade in august.

Basically people cope differently. Alot of people took biology in my year because they thought it was going to be easy. Its not!
Chemistry is very maths based so if you struggle with this I'd be careful with choosing chem.

Hope this helps!
EternalDoom
I'm getting A* in Maths in GCSE so hopefully it'll go well. I just struggle in what teachers call 'thinking outside of the box' and takes me some time before I figure out the solution to a problem, and until then I normally just stare it for so long lol. So, basically, I feel like I am kind of slow at spotting on what method / calculation to use in a problem etc.

i got A* also. everyone thinks that thinking outside the box is going to be a problem at a level but its not really, you just kind of get used to it and eventually it comes naturally so don't worry. in any case you have loads of time in the exam and their not out to trick you
With practical exams, I didnt do these first time around so I cant help with Biology - I did coursework. For chemistry they arent too bad really, I was expecting them to be awful but its just a set of instructions really. Im not sure how much I'm allowed to say on them but you can find examples on the OCR website :smile:
Want to clear up some things with psychology...

You don't need to memorize much more (tbh I think less) than any other subject, people are often misguided with revision and revise every single study with every little detail where in reality you need to know about 25% of the studies and not in vast detail for even full marks - this is where people loose time and patience and with the subject
It is quite easy at A level if you can apply knowledge and able to argue for and against and make logical conclusions
It is not very 'sciency' and if you were hoping to do as it is classified as a science subject, you will be dissapointed
While some don't find it intersting (I however love it :P) then reading around the subject can help you with understanding and excite you more, thinks like applied to nazi's, mentall illness, ethical issues etc. are all good
suicidaloverbusiness

i did ocr mei and i have to say that it was honestly fine, not as easy as AQA, but then again nothing is :p:
not too hard at all :biggrin:

Latest