Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing your A levels? Your questions answered here!

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I decided to take 4 A-level's but i chose only 3 of them:

1)Math
    2)Economics
    3)History

I want to do economics,finance or business related course at uni , so help me choose 4th A-level. I think of one of the following : philosophy ,geography , politics. Which of them is more respected and fits in my uni courses better? Or maybe you can offer subject to take that not in my list ? So any tips and suggestions are welcome , thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    I decided to take 4 A-level's but i chose only 3 of them:

1)Math
    2)Economics
    3)History

I want to do economics,finance or business related course at uni , so help me choose 4th A-level. I think of one of the following : philosophy ,geography , politics. Which of them is more respected and fits in my uni courses better? Or maybe you can offer subject to take that not in my list ? So any tips and suggestions are welcome , thanks!

I think Further Maths would complement best, if it's possible or even Physics
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need help:
    If I only pick Chemistry (as I don't like Biology and Physics) as my only science, along with Maths and Business would I be able to still go further into a science/maths field in uni?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    I need help:
    If I only pick Chemistry (as I don't like Biology and Physics) as my only science, along with Maths and Business would I be able to still go further into a science/maths field in uni?
    Into a science feild? yes. But you'll be very limited in your options. Maths and Chemistry alone will probably restrict you to straight chemistry or heavily chemistry-based courses.

You won't be able to do (at most unis); maths, physics, engineering, biology, physiology. You may be able to do Biochemistry or medicine, but without biology it will be hard. You only real option would be straight Chemistry.

If you have a science based feild of study in mind, you should definitely consider picking up either biology or physics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasan-1-)
    could anybody tell me what the following are like at a-level , psychology, law and business
    Business is extremely easy and just based on common sense. Don't do it unless you can handle abject, soul-destroying boredom. If you're interested in that sort of thing do economics!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I need help:
    Yes but obviously not those areas which you've decided don't interest you. Chemistry is the best anyway so you have nothing to worry about
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clumsy_Chemist)
    Business is extremely easy and just based on common sense. Don't do it unless you can handle abject, soul-destroying boredom. If you're interested in that sort of thing do economics!
    but wouldn't economics be more to do with maths? also what about sociology as a alternative to law
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    i hope to do medicine at uni and have picked
    bio
    chem
    maths
    economics

i was just wondering if economics is a good 4th subject..... (i know lots of people say to do physics but i hate it!!)

thanks in advance
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it is okay to take three AS levels instead of four. I know it's advised to take four and then drop one at A2 so I would like to know if it's safe for me to take three. I am studying English Language, Biology and Chemistry at the moment and hope to have a career with an English Language degree or in Media.
    Any advise would be highly appreciated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Economics as your 4th subject with Bio, cem and maths will kill you. I say pick Bio, chem, maths and business (or another EASY A-level which is still not excluded by unis).

Business is like an easier version of eco
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    i hope to do medicine at uni and have picked
    bio
    chem
    maths
    economics

i was just wondering if economics is a good 4th subject..... (i know lots of people say to do physics but i hate it!!)

thanks in advance
    They are the subjects I do, they're absolutely fine if you're wanting to do medicine

Good luck!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Economics as your 4th subject with Bio, cem and maths will kill you. I say pick Bio, chem, maths and business (or another EASY A-level which is still not excluded by unis).

Business is like an easier version of eco
    Yes but business is regarded as an easy subject by universities and it is an easy subject and therefore wouldn't look good on an application for medicine due to the high competitiveness of the subject!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoya Khan)
    I was just wondering if it is okay to take three AS levels instead of four. I know it's advised to take four and then drop one at A2 so I would like to know if it's safe for me to take three. I am studying English Language, Biology and Chemistry at the moment and hope to have a career with an English Language degree or in Media.
    Any advise would be highly appreciated
    3 is fine if you are confident you can do well in all 3 of them. it's better to take 4 so that they have a back up if one doesn't go quite to plan, say for example if you didn't get the grade you hoped for/needed etc. but 3 is fine, you'd probs have a lot more free periods for study, so that's one advantage, but just make sure you know what each course entails, and whether you'll enjoy them, and whether you'll get the grades, because you'll have no option to drop a subject for A2. Gd luck
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxZazxx)
    3 is fine if you are confident you can do well in all 3 of them. it's better to take 4 so that they have a back up if one doesn't go quite to plan, say for example if you didn't get the grade you hoped for/needed etc. but 3 is fine, you'd probs have a lot more free periods for study, so that's one advantage, but just make sure you know what each course entails, and whether you'll enjoy them, and whether you'll get the grades, because you'll have no option to drop a subject for A2. Gd luck
    Thanks There's no question that I aim for high grades and I know a lot of hard work will go into it. I've always been good at these subjects and do enjoy them even now, although bio gets tedious! If it doesn't go well, then it will be seen. Maybe a resit?
    I'm just trying to reduce my workload.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering aobout whether I should choose pyschology or not. I've decided to take English literature although I am slightly worried about it, and I'm wanting to take sociology and law. As for pyschology, I know it requires a lot of science and some maths and I've only worked at foundation level in maths and as for science I'm doing BTEC science, aiming for a distinction, merit at least. I want to do pyschology because I might want to become a therapist, or lawyer, but I'm worried, can anyone hel me out? Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm looking to do a chemistry degree and a research based career.
    Stuck on a level choices, either:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology

OR

Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Politics

I know 5 is a lot so please don't just tell me to not do 5...
    Basically, politics or further maths!?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is it realistic to want to do Chemistry A level when you have a double science GCSE?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    Hi I was wondering aobout whether I should choose pyschology or not. I've decided to take English literature although I am slightly worried about it, and I'm wanting to take sociology and law. As for pyschology, I know it requires a lot of science and some maths and I've only worked at foundation level in maths and as for science I'm doing BTEC science, aiming for a distinction, merit at least. I want to do pyschology because I might want to become a therapist, or lawyer, but I'm worried, can anyone hel me out? Thanks.
    Hi, I do biology, chemistry, psychology and English lit. I really enjoy psychology, it's enjoyable and interesting. The research method unit, however, is quite boring and has a bit of maths but to be honest its things you'd do at foundation gcse maths; the only maths I've had to do so far is mean, mode and median and you need to be able to draw bar charts, scattergraphs and histograms. As for science I wouldn't say it has a lot of it, mostly it's just memorizing research done into a topic e.g. memory and then the strengths and weakness of that research/theory. The only science that has come up for me was in stress responses and to be honest that unit was not very big. Overall, I think its mainly about memorising, so if you're good at that then it should be easy and I really don't think you should worry about the maths if you can do mean, mode, range etc. you should be fine! Hope that helps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estmick)
    Is it realistic to want to do Chemistry A level when you have a double science GCSE?
    Its perfectly normal. You might have to do a little more work as you won't already be familiar with some area's but once you've completed the first module your on level ground with everyone else. I certainly didn't feel disadvantaged despite not doing triple.
    Be warned though that you'll likely struggle if you getting less than AA in double science. The first module is roughly equivalent in amount of content to the entire chemistry course of double science but covered in one term rather than 2/3 years.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdewey)
    Hi all, I'm looking to do a chemistry degree and a research based career.
    Stuck on a level choices, either:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology

OR

Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Politics

I know 5 is a lot so please don't just tell me to not do 5...
    Basically, politics or further maths!?
    Hi, I do maths/ further maths/ chem/ biol/ phys. I think it's totally manageable if you enjoy those subjects, and they actually all help each other out a lot, so I'd really recommend it. You do need to be ready for quite a bit of maths though

For Chemistry (or related subjects like materials) you definitely want Further maths. Politics really isn't relevant. If I was choosing A levels for chemistry then in order of importance/ relevance I would say it is: chem/ maths/ further maths/ physics/ biology/ (anything else). It would probably be ok for you to drop biology if you wanted to (unless you're very keen on biochem). Chemistry and maths are what universities will really look for as fundamentals, further maths and physics will make your application look that much better.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 15, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.