The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would like to do law at uni. :smile:

For A level, I am thinking of doing History, English lit, Philosophy- Goverment and Politics or Law.

I keep hearing mixed things about Law as some tutors have said it was a 'weak' subject but others said that it was neither encouraged or discouraged and you can still get into a good university with it. I would like to learn Law as it looks fascinating and give me more of an idea about Law before I go on to degree, but I worry that it is not as well respected as Politics and I would be better not taking the risk and doing that instead?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Argent-chan
I would like to do law at uni. :smile:

For A level, I am thinking of doing History, English lit, Philosophy- Goverment and Politics or Law.

I keep hearing mixed things about Law as some tutors have said it was a 'weak' subject but others said that it was neither encouraged or discouraged and you can still get into a good university with it. I would like to learn Law as it looks fascinating and give me more of an idea about Law before I go on to degree, but I worry that it is not as well respected as Politics and I would be better not taking the risk and doing that instead?

a few of my friends are going to do Law at uni, and have been told that doing A-level Law wouldn't have been particularly beneficial, but Government & Politics would've. I take Politics, and a lot of the things covered would complement law really well and give you a broader understanding, as well as the skills you learn with the essay writing. At university, the political aspect of my degree choice is run with the Law school so there is a link there.
At Sixth Form I am quite sure that I want to study History, Business and Law & Government. For a fourth subject I am not sure whether to take Sociology or Psychology. I am leaning towards Sociology.

I am interested in criminality or criminal studies for a fourth subject so which of the two I mentioned will be best suited for that?
Hi guys! I'm looking for opinions on what A levels to take.

I'm currently doing Maths, Chemistry, Geography and French, with the intention of doing either Chemistry or Earth Sciences at university.

Most universities I have looked at for Chemistry ask for Chemistry and one other science or maths A level, which I have at the moment. I haven't looked so much at the Earth Sciences courses but I'm fairly sure they asked for two or three science subjects (some considered Geography to be a science subject in this case) and didn't require Geography. But in both cases, I'm a little worried that not having Physics might affect me, and people keep telling me I should drop French and do it instead. But if I'm going to do Physics I'd be doing it instead of Geography, because French is my favourite subject.

Would I be better off doing Physics instead of Geography, is basically what I'm asking here. :P Thanks in advance for any help!
Original post by ethery

I'm currently doing Maths, Chemistry, Geography and French, with the intention of doing either Chemistry or Earth Sciences at university.

Most universities I have looked at for Chemistry ask for Chemistry and one other science or maths A level, which I have at the moment. I haven't looked so much at the Earth Sciences courses but I'm fairly sure they asked for two or three science subjects (some considered Geography to be a science subject in this case) and didn't require Geography. But in both cases, I'm a little worried that not having Physics might affect me, and people keep telling me I should drop French and do it instead. But if I'm going to do Physics I'd be doing it instead of Geography, because French is my favourite subject.

Would I be better off doing Physics instead of Geography, is basically what I'm asking here. :P Thanks in advance for any help!

No, not necessarily, especially as you might be going into sciences, so geography would be very helpful. Why not take geography, french, and two sciences? This shows you're a well rounded applicant, and will work in your favour :smile:
I would like to go into Medicine after leaving sixth form, so I've decided that I'm definitely taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

However, for my fourth A Level, I can't decide between English Literature and Classic Civilisations...which do you think would be the most appropriate! :confused:
Do the one you think you'll most enjoy, top universities require at least 2 (ideally three) of Bioligy, Chemistry, Maths and Bioligy for a science based degree, you already have this. English Literature is slightly higher respected.
Original post by Joel Williams
At Sixth Form I am quite sure that I want to study History, Business and Law & Government. For a fourth subject I am not sure whether to take Sociology or Psychology. I am leaning towards Sociology.

I am interested in criminality or criminal studies for a fourth subject so which of the two I mentioned will be best suited for that?

Definitely psychology, as sociology is seen as a soft subject and combined with business and law would weaken a uni application.

Original post by ethery

Not really - there is a physics element to chemistry, but universities should generally give you enough extra help that it's not an issue. As long as you can remember gcse physics and you're good at maths (hopefully you'll have done mechanics?) then you'll be fine. It sounds like geography is an important subject for you to stick with for your future interests. And don't drop French, languages are very worthwhile!

Original post by Swords N Thorns
I would like to go into Medicine after leaving sixth form, so I've decided that I'm definitely taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

However, for my fourth A Level, I can't decide between English Literature and Classic Civilisations...which do you think would be the most appropriate! :confused:

English is probably a bit more respected but I don't think it'll matter too much, both are going to be essay subjects which complement the essential trio you're doing already.
Hi!
I've been really worried about my choices for A level and I'm trying to make sure my choices are beneficial to becoming a Midwife but ones I will enjoy doing also!

The 4 A levels I'm choosing are Biology, Psychology, English Lit and Religious Studies. I just want to know if these would be okay if I want to be a Midwife?

I know English Lit probably wouldn't be all that important to Midwifery but It's something I enjoy along with Religious Studies and I absolutely love the sound of the course description but the English Lit A level I would be willing to change if needed.
Original post by YellowSmartie
Hi!
I've been really worried about my choices for A level and I'm trying to make sure my choices are beneficial to becoming a Midwife but ones I will enjoy doing also!

The 4 A levels I'm choosing are Biology, Psychology, English Lit and Religious Studies. I just want to know if these would be okay if I want to be a Midwife?

I know English Lit probably wouldn't be all that important to Midwifery but It's something I enjoy along with Religious Studies and I absolutely love the sound of the course description but the English Lit A level I would be willing to change if needed.

EngLit and Religious studies would both be fine, and are good subjects. Biology is obviously great for midwifery.

Psychology is the only one I'd raise my eyebrows on. It's ok, but I think Maths or Chemistry would look slightly better. But if you're not too confident in those subjects, then just pick the subject that interests you the most. e.g. Geography, History, a language, etc. would all be fine choices.

I don't think many midwifery courses have very strict subject requirements (other than perhaps biology), but the subjects you mention are fine. It is only psychology that I question. Partly because universities (for whatever reason) don't think it is as good and partly because psychology A level exams are pretty difficult, and it's best to avoid anything too difficult if possible.
Original post by Swords N Thorns

English Literature would be the best preparation for Medicine (interviews, tests, etc.) But it would be ok to take something else if you'd prefer to.
What is A Level maths like? (AS + A2)

Currently studying GCSE and enjoy it when I can do it lol.

Currently at a high A, with quite a bit of revision.

Would I cope?

If anyone answers, please quote.

Thank you!
Original post by matty123

Would I cope?

Thank you!

Probably not because my sister got an A at GCSE ,with little revision and a D at AS.It is easy to get an A* at GCSE Maths,with no revision and A-Level is a lot tougher.

Would I cope?

Thank you!

A level maths is quite different to GCSE maths. There are people who got A*s at GCSE, who are getting Es now. There are people who got Bs a GCSE who are getting Cs now. It's hard to tell, and it depends on the person.

How good are you at: factorising, algebra, graphs, (probability or physics)? They are key to A level maths. A lot of GCSE maths is not in the A level.

AS maths is a lot easier than A2. It depends on how your mind works. Most of A level maths is learning and applying techniques, which makes it one of the easier A levels if you are willing to try and understand and work hard.

Definitely your best option is to ask your maths teacher (for GCSE) what he/ she thinks of you doing A level maths. Failing that, it may be worth looking at a few A level topics in the summer holidays, and then if it's too much you can swap it early in September.
Original post by Dalek1099
Probably not because my sister got an A at GCSE ,with little revision and a D at AS.It is easy to get an A* at GCSE Maths,with no revision and A-Level is a lot tougher.

Depends on whether you're Maths-minded or not - just because for one person it's easy with no revision, doesn't mean that it will be for everyone. I revised quite a lot for GCSE Maths and only just managed a C (admittedly I was very ill but it shouldn't have stopped me getting at least a B with my predicted grades and the amount of revision).

I think a lot of my friends who did A Level Maths found it a massive step up and really struggled, but once they settled into it they're finding it a lot easier.
Original post by Llewellyn
A level maths is quite different to GCSE maths. There are people who got A*s at GCSE, who are getting Es now. There are people who got Bs a GCSE who are getting Cs now. It's hard to tell, and it depends on the person.

How good are you at: factorising, algebra, graphs, (probability or physics)? They are key to A level maths. A lot of GCSE maths is not in the A level.

AS maths is a lot easier than A2. It depends on how your mind works. Most of A level maths is learning and applying techniques, which makes it one of the easier A levels if you are willing to try and understand and work hard.

Definitely your best option is to ask your maths teacher (for GCSE) what he/ she thinks of you doing A level maths. Failing that, it may be worth looking at a few A level topics in the summer holidays, and then if it's too much you can swap it early in September.

Factorising and algebra are currently my main strengths.
Factorising and algebra are currently my main strengths.

Well factorising and algebra (algebra especially) are probably the biggest parts of A level maths you will have been introduced to so far. So going on that I'd say it's definitely worth your consideration at least.

But, to re-emphasise my point, I would get your teacher's opinion on this. They will know your maths better than anyone.

Also, if you're thinking of doing a science-related course at university, maths will be a huge help.
Original post by YellowSmartie
Hi!

Sounds perfect :smile:

Would I cope?

Thank you!

You'll cope fine as long as you put the effort in. It's a really hard slog but worth it because it's incredibly useful.
I've decided to do 3 AS levels next year, Economics, Art and Literature and continue all 3 onto A2. I know that most students do 4 AS levels and 3 A2s; this year (I'm currently in year 11) I'm going to be sitting Philosophy & Ethics AS Level, so I would technically have 4 AS levels and 3 A2's.

However, is the fact that I didn't sit my Philosophy AS level at the same time as my AS levels a disadvantage? Should I do another AS level next year?

I'd like to do a degree in Graphic Design, so I need to do Art, and I'd like to have as much time as possible to spend on my art coursework etc, which is why I'd rather do 3 AS subjects next year :s-smilie:

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by danielm1206
I've decided to do 3 AS levels next year, Economics, Art and Literature and continue all 3 onto A2. I know that most students do 4 AS levels and 3 A2s; this year (I'm currently in year 11) I'm going to be sitting Philosophy & Ethics AS Level, so I would technically have 4 AS levels and 3 A2's.

However, is the fact that I didn't sit my Philosophy AS level at the same time as my AS levels a disadvantage? Should I do another AS level next year?

I'd like to do a degree in Graphic Design, so I need to do Art, and I'd like to have as much time as possible to spend on my art coursework etc, which is why I'd rather do 3 AS subjects next year :s-smilie:

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

You will be fine because generally all they care about is that the 3 A-Levels are sat at college and that you have an AS and aren't really bothered about that AS anyway.

Latest