The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Yes, unless you're ridiculously talented at maths and prepared to have less free time than most 6th formers.

Well maths is my favourite subject and I'm considering doing a maths degree. I also got 97/100 and 99/100 on the two GCSE maths exams I've already done. Does this make me ridiculously talented?
Reply 3221
Original post by lizz-ie
Well maths is my favourite subject and I'm considering doing a maths degree. I also got 97/100 and 99/100 on the two GCSE maths exams I've already done. Does this make me ridiculously talented?

Don't listen to clumsy_chemist - if you're talented at maths further maths will be a doddle. The people in the further maths groups, if anything, spend less time doing work than those in the normal maths groups :wink:
Original post by lizz-ie

I'm planning on taking Maths and Further Maths and I would advise you to take Further Maths at A-Level because quite a few top universities require Further Maths and Further Maths was created for the likes of you and me,who excel at maths-I got 79/80 for the first unit and should easily get 100/100 for the next unit based on mock exam papers.
If you want to do a maths degree then I would say drop one of the sciences so you can fully concentrate on maths as top unis generally expect 2A*s from you at A level in Maths. If you want to do a science at uni or do medicine then I would suggest do chemistry, biology and Further Maths or similar. Psychology can be interchanged if you have a passion for it but you'll be doing a ridiculous amount of exams if you do all 5 subjects.

That said, if you have the drive then bloody go for it.
Original post by Bread Basket
If you want to do a maths degree then I would say drop one of the sciences so you can fully concentrate on maths as top unis generally expect 2A*s from you at A level in Maths. If you want to do a science at uni or do medicine then I would suggest do chemistry, biology and Further Maths or similar. Psychology can be interchanged if you have a passion for it but you'll be doing a ridiculous amount of exams if you do all 5 subjects.

That said, if you have the drive then bloody go for it.

Thank you! I still really want to do all 5, but I think I'll just do 4, since I'll have 12 exams in the first year if I do all of them :/
Can someone tell me the differences of music and music technology for A level and what they both involve please?
Reply 3226
Chemistry or economics?

okay i want to study something math related.
my choices is either becoming an actuary OR an air traffic controller.

for my igcses i have maths, physics, french, biology and i was thinking of either chemistry or economics.

which is better and why?
Reply 3227
Original post by Irokat
Chemistry or economics?

okay i want to study something math related.
my choices is either becoming an actuary OR an air traffic controller.

for my igcses i have maths, physics, french, biology and i was thinking of either chemistry or economics.

which is better and why?

Personally I chose economics and I definitely haven't regretted it. I actually think its really interesting and fairly easy to follow. Sort of. haha.
Although, even after all the teachers warned how maths related it was, i never found it particularly maths heavy. My course was more theory and diagram based.
Just to warn you though, when I did GCSE's there weren't igcse's so i don't know if that'll make a lot of difference?
:smile::smile:
Basically. I'm confused.

I don't know what I want to do in the future. The idea of college doesn't interest me, to me it just means more pressure for an exam which is almost meaningless just like any other exam. I could go into something vocational, but there is nothing there that interests me. I have chosen A-Levels I enjoy. And I will work hard at them. My issue is, I have no idea where my life is going. And I don't know who to believe.

I've read a number of threads on here about how the education system doesn't really prepare people for "real life". Its more get good grades, get into a good college, get good grades, get into a good University... Then bam. You're into the real world. In addition to this I'm starting realise the whole education system is basically a mess in general.

Anyhow. The A-Levels I've choose are: Geography. Economics. Philosophy. Psychology.

I choose these A-Levels carefully as there isn't much else I enjoy. So, basically, where will these A-Levels get me? If anywhere?

Do you think they are a good combination? For anyone who does these subjects, how did you find it?

Thanks.
I know that economics and philosophy are respected by unis, and economics is definitely an enjoyable a-level, but I have heard that economics and geography are somewhat similar. I can't personally comment on this as I don't do geography but people have told me it. Have you considered doing maths or English?
Original post by venenecinema
I know that economics and philosophy are respected by unis, and economics is definitely an enjoyable a-level, but I have heard that economics and geography are somewhat similar. I can't personally comment on this as I don't do geography but people have told me it. Have you considered doing maths or English?

Really? I've never heard that before... I hate English, so that's a definite no. As for Maths I think I can take doing it for another 2 years, but it won't exactly be enjoyable.

Also, I'm not even too sure I want to go to University, the idea doesn't really interest me atm. But I'm not sure what else is out there...?

Thanks for the help though. :smile:
Original post by >Username<
Really? I've never heard that before... I hate English, so that's a definite no. As for Maths I think I can take doing it for another 2 years, but it won't exactly be enjoyable.

Also, I'm not even too sure I want to go to University, the idea doesn't really interest me atm. But I'm not sure what else is out there...?

Thanks for the help though. :smile:

Well university isn't a necessity but it definitely opens up more career paths.
Reply 3232
Standard decent A levels.

Will get you into a standard decent university.
Psychology is very interesting. I personally would have mixed it up a bit, e.g psychology, english, economics, politics, maths or a science. To sort of get better 'coverage' - something I wish I had done!

You do seem bright. Do you not have any interest in uni at all? It doesnt suit everyone, but then it is also a great pathway into certain careers.
I also meant to add - any particular areas of interest for work? E.g law, healthcare, teaching?
Economics is enjoyable, and ties in significantly with Geography. I can speak from first hand experience.
Original post by jellybean_
Psychology is very interesting. I personally would have mixed it up a bit, e.g psychology, english, economics, politics, maths or a science. To sort of get better 'coverage' - something I wish I had done!

You do seem bright. Do you not have any interest in uni at all? It doesnt suit everyone, but then it is also a great pathway into certain careers.

I agree with this, if you don't know what you want to do yet then you could mix it up and hopefully you will have worked it out by the end of AS.
Reply 3237
Hey
Still can't make up my mind
My school offers Russian which is a 2 year intensive accelerated course where in year 12 it's GCSE and year 13 it's AS and A2 level.....Apparently they've run this course for years and it's been successful so far...
Also:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/russian-alevel-tops-new-a-grade-1917443.html

Are there benefits to doing Russian?
How does this look?
-Maths
-Psychology
-French
-Russian
where in year 13 i drop either psychology or French? (probably French)
Still unsure about future after a levels, I want to go to (good!!) uni, dunno about uni course yet...
Original post by g_l
Hey
My school offers Russian which is a 2 year intensive accelerated course where in year 12 it's GCSE and year 13 it's AS and A2 level.....Apparently they've run this course for years and it's been successful so far...
Also:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/russian-alevel-tops-new-a-grade-1917443.html

How does this look?
-Maths
-Psychology
-French
-Russian
Still unsure about future after a levels, I want to go to (good!!) uni, dunno about uni course yet...

If i am not wrong, psychology is a weak subject? and the languages you took make you a strong candidate but if for example russian is your first language, then taking Russian will put you in a disadvantage. Two languages is good but it depends what you wanna study at uni. E.g Economics, someone who do Maths and F.Maths will stand a better chance
Original post by g_l
Hey
Also:

How does this look?
-Maths
-Psychology
-French
-Russian

I think that, as you don't know what you want to do at uni, you have a good mix of subjects there and 3/4 of those are really strong subjects. It might be worth having a think about a few courses you'd be interested in though so you can be sure you've got the right choices as some courses do require certain subjects

Latest