The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I was hoping somebody would be able to shed some light on this, I've got 3 of my 4 A-Level choices sorted: Biology, German and English Literature (a weird mix I know) but I can't think of another subject that woulf fit in well :s-smilie:

For a while I wanted to take chemistry but after hearing how many poracticals you have to do and how much of a jump it is from GCSE I'm doubting it. I should leave with As in just about every subject I do now, except physics and maths so they're off the table :tongue:

How do you think Business Studies would fit in? Or maybe psychology?
Original post by RachelAnne96
Hi guys I was hoping somebody would be able to shed some light on this, I've got 3 of my 4 A-Level choices sorted: Biology, German and English Literature (a weird mix I know) but I can't think of another subject that woulf fit in well :s-smilie:

For a while I wanted to take chemistry but after hearing how many poracticals you have to do and how much of a jump it is from GCSE I'm doubting it. I should leave with As in just about every subject I do now, except physics and maths so they're off the table :tongue:

Chemistry is not hard to learn and is not a big gap from GCSE. If you work hard obviously. Business Studies is consider a soft subject. If you thinking of going to good University, doing business studies or psychology will put you in a disadvantage. Is hard for me to advice you on what A-level to do because I don't knw what you want to study at Uni.
Reply 3242
Maths, Psych, Econ and French/Physics? (no, I'm not doing 5 just can't decide between the 2)
So French or Physics?
French is more interesting than phys
Psych is already quite sciencey, do i need another 'science'?
French is a language..increase the subject type range? Also i'm not doing EngLit so...?
Physics is understanding, French on the other hand is more than that?
I'm not sure which is my strength humanities or sciences. But i know i don't like history or englit, but enjoy talking about psychology (I don't do psych now so will be a new subject at a level, same with econ), and enjoy gcse and additional maths, which I currently take. Hmmmmm....help? :P
Thank you to those who have replied previously thank you all x

I think Chemistry would compliment those choices really well, and you'd have 4 really strong A-levels there, or you could just take it to AS level and it'd still be beneficial. I don't take Chemistry, so can't really comment on how easy/difficult it is, but if you do enjoy it and are prepared to work hard then you should be able to do well in it!
If you do want to choose between Business and Psychology though, I'd probably say Psychology as it'd look better with those choices and it's not seen to be as soft a subject as Business
Original post by g_l
Maths, Psych, Econ and French/Physics? (no, I'm not doing 5 just can't decide between the 2)
So French or Physics?
French is more interesting than phys
Psych is already quite sciencey, do i need another 'science'?
French is a language..increase the subject type range? Also i'm not doing EngLit so...?
Physics is understanding, French on the other hand is more than that?
I'm not sure which is my strength humanities or sciences. But i know i don't like history or englit, but enjoy talking about psychology (I don't do psych now so will be a new subject at a level, same with econ), and enjoy gcse and additional maths, which I currently take. Hmmmmm....help? :P
Thank you to those who have replied previously thank you all x

Any idea what you want to do at uni? I think you should do french unless you need physics because it's more adaptable - you're already doing three sciences.

Business studies isn't worth taking, it's so easy that people will just laugh at it. If that sort of thing interests you then you should do economics. I do think you should do chemistry or psychology if you're interested in taking biology further - one science isn't really enough. Chemistry is indeed a big jump from gcse but so are most subjects and you shouldn't shy away from difficult subjects because they're the ones that will get you somewhere in life :smile: you don't actually have to do much practical work in A level chemistry :smile:
Original post by g_l
Hey
Still can't make up my mind
My school offers Russian which is a 2 year intensive accelerated course where in year 12 it's GCSE and year 13 it's AS and A2 level.....Apparently they've run this course for years and it's been successful so far...
Also:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/russian-alevel-tops-new-a-grade-1917443.html

Are there benefits to doing Russian?
How does this look?
-Maths
-Psychology
-French
-Russian
where in year 13 i drop either psychology or French? (probably French)
Still unsure about future after a levels, I want to go to (good!!) uni, dunno about uni course yet...

There are huge benefits to doing any language, the more unusual the better. Just think of all the travelling, studying and working abroad you could do in eastern Europe and Russia! The other subjects are a good bunch and will keep your options nice and open :smile: do what interests you to ensure you'll work hard at it.
Reply 3247
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Any idea what you want to do at uni? I think you should do french unless you need physics because it's more adaptable - you're already doing three sciences.

Thanks...
Hmmmmm I guess.....
can anyone tell me if I would struggle with A-level Maths if I didn't take additional maths GCSE?
Original post by bestofyou
can anyone tell me if I would struggle with A-level Maths if I didn't take additional maths GCSE?

Obviously it depends on your own ability at Maths - no one knows how good you are, so it's impossible to say.

Saying that, from what I've heard, A Level maths is hard, but it's clearly doable. My best friend didn't do Additional Maths, and she's predicted a B this year - but that might not be the case for you. Talk with your teacher - perhaps you might be able to get the loan of an Add Maths textbook or something, and if you were feeling up to it, you could give a few exercises a go during the summer, and maybe your friends who did do Add Maths would let you borrow their notes? :smile:
Original post by g_l
Hey
Still can't make up my mind
My school offers Russian which is a 2 year intensive accelerated course where in year 12 it's GCSE and year 13 it's AS and A2 level.....Apparently they've run this course for years and it's been successful so far...
Also:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/russian-alevel-tops-new-a-grade-1917443.html

Are there benefits to doing Russian?
How does this look?
-Maths
-Psychology
-French
-Russian
where in year 13 i drop either psychology or French? (probably French)
Still unsure about future after a levels, I want to go to (good!!) uni, dunno about uni course yet...

I seriously envy you! That would be absolutely amazing :smile: Languages are absolutely loved by employers - and especially languages such as Russian, which are becoming more and more important these days. They're really well respected, and those are four pretty good A Levels you've got there!

Do what is best for you - there'll be people who say languages aren't worth it, but they are! :smile: The Russian'll be hard work, but I'm sure it's doable!

All the best!

That would depend on what grade you got in maths and how much work you put in to achieve said grade.
Original post by Bread Basket
That would depend on what grade you got in maths and how much work you put in to achieve said grade.

I did foundation and got the maximum grade C. I was entered for it not because I didn't have the ability, but because I didn't bother with any GCSE subject, I missed class regularly and when I was there I did minimal work. I had planned on leaving school with a bunch of D-U grades and get into a construction trade, this ambition lead me to believe I didn't need school and this was reflected in my attitude right the way through GCSE study.

As for the effort I put in to get the grade C, I am sure you could guess after my little educational history nutshell above, the effort was basically non-existant. Asides from 2-4(at very most)hours the night before each exam and maybe 2hours the morning of, I did no revision at home or outside class time at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did foundation and got the maximum grade C. I was entered for it not because I didn't have the ability, but because I didn't bother with any GCSE subject, I missed class regularly and when I was there I did minimal work. I had planned on leaving school with a bunch of D-U grades and get into a construction trade, this ambition lead me to believe I didn't need school and this was reflected in my attitude right the way through GCSE study.

As for the effort I put in to get the grade C, I am sure you could guess after my little educational history nutshell above, the effort was basically non-existant. Asides from 2-4(at very most)hours the night before each exam and maybe 2hours the morning of, I did no revision at home or outside class time at all.

I would suggest getting a GCSE revision guide and looking at some higher tier techniques because they'll all be needed in the A-Level (C1 and C2 do contain some A and A* GCSE stuff like the Cosine rule as they were intended to bridge a gap between GCSE and A-Level.
Original post by Bread Basket
I would suggest getting a GCSE revision guide and looking at some higher tier techniques because they'll all be needed in the A-Level (C1 and C2 do contain some A and A* GCSE stuff like the Cosine rule as they were intended to bridge a gap between GCSE and A-Level.

What about the mechanics/statistics modules, will they require GCSE knowledge?

I've got myself some cgp gcse books and going to get the AS head start ones after I recap on my gcse knowledge.
Not to the same degree as core modules. Mechanics does contain quite a lot of vector stuff which builds on A techniques at GCSE. Familiarise yourself with GCSE courses first, unless you are doing D1, which does not require any GCSE expertise just an ability to remember things and follow algorithms.

Most schools require you to get at least a B at GCSE on the higher tier (my school says you need an A because the people who get Bs struggle too much) in order to be able to do A level. If I were you, I'd check that you can do it with a C, and look at some higher GCSE past papers. Hope this helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You will never pass A-Levels with that sort of attitude its very disgusting that you planned to fail your GCSEs and you do know that you can't do pretty much any job without a C in Maths and English and to get into sixth forms you need quite good grades,sometimes as high as a B for English Language.You were very stupid to try to close your doors and you dolled off school-absolutely atrocious,I hate people,who are so stupid not to care immensely on GCSEs-to be honest I could easily get As and Bs very good grades but I try to get A*s and you should do too.
Original post by Dalek1099
You will never pass A-Levels with that sort of attitude its very disgusting that you planned to fail your GCSEs and you do know that you can't do pretty much any job without a C in Maths and English and to get into sixth forms you need quite good grades,sometimes as high as a B for English Language.You were very stupid to try to close your doors and you dolled off school-absolutely atrocious,I hate people,who are so stupid not to care immensely on GCSEs-to be honest I could easily get As and Bs very good grades but I try to get A*s and you should do too.

So you are calling me stupid yet come out with a ludicrous response such as this?

First of all, based on your profile picture you must be about 12 at the oldest, so still quite a distance away from GCSE and A-level study, therefore you have no idea how hard or easy it is to get As and Bs.

Because I don't live in the land of fairytales and wasn't born in with a silver spoon in my mouth I happen to live in an area where the sixth forms ask only for 5 grade Cs and to have passed only one of english and maths. And it is simply not true that there are no jobs without gcse maths/english, large numbers of my friends went straight into apprenticeships without either.

You say I am disgusting to have had such an attitude, yet fail to see that I regret not working back then. You also have no idea of my circumstances at the time, I only say that I planned on getting into a job that didn't require GCSEs; I omitted the detail that I planned on getting into engineering or medicine prior to that but my surrounding climate changed dramatically during the beginning of my first GCSE year of study. If you could be in my shoes back then you probably wouldn't live through a single day facing the struggles I survived for three years.

Also, 'I will never'. Future tense? You also fail to collect that I have in fact completed my A-levels and have actually completed a year at university already, so prehaps you should get your facts straight and maybe stop trying to slate people how are about 3 or 4 levels higher than you in education. I suggest you at least get you GCSEs before trying to call me disgusting.

I hate people who think it is easy to pass exams they have never done, but what I hate more is people who judge other people's past ambitions despite having no idea of the surrounding circumstances.

And for the record, the small number of GCSEs that I wasn't entered for the foundation paper for I actually achieved A grades, and that was without revising more than the night before.
(edited 11 years ago)
So you are calling me stupid yet come out with a ludicrous response such as this?

First of all, based on your profile picture you must be about 12 at the oldest, so still quite a distance away from GCSE and A-level study, therefore you have no idea how hard or easy it is to get As and Bs.

Because I don't live in the land of fairytales and wasn't born in with a silver spoon in my mouth I happen to live in an area where the sixth forms ask only for 5 grade Cs and to have passed only one of english and maths. And it is simply not true that there are no jobs without gcse maths/english, large numbers of my friends went straight into apprenticeships without either.

You say I am disgusting to have had such an attitude, yet fail to see that I regret not working back then. You also have no idea of my circumstances at the time, I only say that I planned on getting into a job that didn't require GCSEs; I omitted the detail that I planned on getting into engineering or medicine prior to that but my surrounding climate changed dramatically during the beginning of my first GCSE year of study. If you could be in my shoes back then you probably wouldn't live through a single day facing the struggles I survived for three years.

Also, 'I will never'. Future tense? You also fail to collect that I have in fact completed my A-levels and have actually completed a year at university already, so prehaps you should get your facts straight and maybe stop trying to slate people how are about 3 or 4 levels higher than you in education. I suggest you at least get you GCSEs before trying to call me disgusting.

I hate people who think it is easy to pass exams they have never done, but what I hate more is people who judge other people's past ambitions despite having no idea of the surrounding circumstances.

And for the record, the small number of GCSEs that I wasn't entered for the foundation paper for I actually achieved A grades, and that was without revising more than the night before.

I'm 15(Y10 currently) by the way and have already achieved 1 A grade at GCSE and have an A* in English Language(to be moderated).

The problem is that usually having such an attitude, ruins your learning and the others around you and the attitude of not being bothered,is affecting several people in my school because these people are behaving terribly and you could well have got into a better university/get a better job in the future,with better GCSEs because strong grades across the levels, show that you work hard no matter what and that you don't just work hard, when you want to and this is how employers will see your grades,in comparison to A-Level and University and how dare you not try your best at school?-you are told clearly by your teachers to do so.Also,working hard at GCSE will increase your A-Level grades and make it easier to get higher grades because you will already have the foundation you need to pass and you could well have ended up with a higher grade at university,when you do finish,if you had of worked harder in the past.

Latest