The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamezA60
I want to go into business

LAW A-LEVEL or MATHS A-LEVEL (predicted B at gcse)

If you're prepared to work hard and keep on top of the work, then I'd say definitely Maths; it'll be incredibly useful in Business and will look good on your CV/uni application :biggrin:
Reply 3401
Ok, so I go to 6th form *next* september, and would appreciate help on what courses to take.

I am interested in;
Fine Art
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Spanish
History

My favourite out of all of them is Fine Art, but I'm worried it's not academic enough :/?

I chose at GCSE;
Fine Art
Spanish
History

Any help is appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 3402
Any ideas what you might want to study at university? Art? A language? A humanity?
I think one of the best combinations out of the subjects that would really fit well with each other and compliment them would be English literature and history! And if you're interested in them, that's even better as they both compliment each other nicely. That's just my opinion :smile:
Reply 3404
My take would be: History, Literature, Spanish, Art
Original post by alj123
Ok, so I go to 6th form *next* september, and would appreciate help on what courses to take.

I am interested in;
Fine Art
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Spanish
History

My favourite out of all of them is Fine Art, but I'm worried it's not academic enough :/?

I chose at GCSE;
Fine Art
Spanish
History

I am in 6th form, I do Spanish, fine art, geography & textiles so.. I'd recommend art & Spanish. Art you say doesn't sound academic enough , it isn't at all science or maths but it requires as much work! It isn't an easy option, & requires an awful lot of time! Feel free to ask any q's happy to give advice :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3406
Original post by alj123

I am interested in;
Fine Art
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Spanish
History

I chose at GCSE;
Fine Art
Spanish
History

Fine art is reasonably well respected as a subject (from what I have seen personally) but if being an artist is your ambition you should obviously consider that it's a hard career to do well in.

There are lots of factors to be considered when choosing. What do you enjoy and what are you really good at? These might not be completely the same but you will have to strike a balance. What might you like to do after sixth form? If uni, what subject can you see yourself studying? You don't have to decide yet but you should have it in mind so you don't shut doors for yourself. How about your school/college. What do current students have to say about these subjects and how they are taught? Find out which exam boards they are each with and look up the syllabus... Do the topics sound interesting and what you're looking for? Lastly think about how you like to work. Mainly it might be a good idea to take biology to throw a bit of science in there, but if you find that switching styles throws you then it would be better not to. Though bio is the most wordy of the sciences anyway.

Good luck choosing, and don't stress too much as you have time to decide yet and once you start time to change your mind if it turns out you prefer something else.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 3407
Original post by 117r
Any ideas what you might want to study at university? Art? A language? A humanity?

I want to be a teacher, so I either have the option of doing a teaching degree, or doing a degree and doing a teaching qualification afterwards :smile:
Reply 3408
Original post by undiscovered_
I think one of the best combinations out of the subjects that would really fit well with each other and compliment them would be English literature and history! And if you're interested in them, that's even better as they both compliment each other nicely. That's just my opinion :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind :smile:
Reply 3409
Original post by LauraEmilyT
I am in 6th form, I do Spanish, fine art, geography & textiles so.. I'd recommend art & Spanish. Art you say doesn't sound academic enough , it isn't at all science or maths but it requires as much work! It isn't an easy option, & requires an awful lot of time! Feel free to ask any q's happy to give advice :smile:

I know it won't be an easy option, but I'm A* with full marks at GCSE and I have put in so much work! And I really enjoy Spanish, just worried that it will be very complex.
So, for art, what is your style of work? (personally I mean, what is your preferred art movement etc?) thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 3410
Original post by kpwxx
Fine art is reasonably well respected as a subject (from what I have seen personally) but if being an artist is your ambition you should obviously consider that it's a hard career to do well in.

I don't want to pursue a career as an artist, but I have a flare for the subject.

There are lots of factors to be considered when choosing. What do you enjoy and what are you really good at? These might not be completely the same but you will have to strike a balance.

Well, tbh I am good at all of the ones listed. I am achieving A*s in both English Lang and Lit, Fine Art and Spanish. And an A in history and and A (maybe A*) in biology.

What might you like to do after sixth form? If uni, what subject can you see yourself studying? You don't have to decide yet but you should have it in mind so you don't shut doors for yourself.

I am going to go to uni.

How about your school/college. What do current students have to say about these subjects and how they are taught? Find out which exam boards they are each with and look up the syllabus... Do the topics sound interesting and what you're looking for?

I will have a look? Thanks.

Lastly think about how you like to work. Mainly it might be a good idea to take biology to throw a bit of science in there, but if you find that switching styles throws you then it would be better not to. Though bio is the most wordy of the sciences anyway.

I think I'm very adaptable, so the switching styles shouldn't really be an issue. It is good that bio is the most wordy because I am better at that than calculations etc.

Good luck choosing, and don't stress too much as you have time to decide yet and once you start time to change your mind if it turns out you prefer something else.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

Thanks a lot for the help:smile:

Edit: sorry I haven't got the hang of quoting sections of text :facepalm;
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3411
Original post by llys
My take would be: History, Literature, Spanish, Art

Why's this? Because they're the ones you're most interested in?
Thanks for a response :smile:
Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been asked on this thread before, but is Government and Politics a respected A-Level? I want to go to Uni to study Politics/Politics combined. I keep getting mixed messages about the A-Level on whether it is respected.
My other choices are: English Literature, Geography and History :smile:

Thanks for your help!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MissMuffin95
Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been asked on this thread before, but is Government and Politics a respected A-Level? I want to go to Uni to study Politics/Politics combined. I keep getting mixed messages about the A-Level on whether it is respected.
My other choices are: English Literature, Geography and History :smile:

Thanks for your help!

You've got three other 'traditional' subjects so taking G&P is absolutely fine! :smile: As long as you're going to enjoy doing it, I say go for it. You can relate what you learn in it to your university personal statement too which is always beneficial :smile:.
Original post by alj123
I know it won't be an easy option, but I'm A* with full marks at GCSE and I have put in so much work! And I really enjoy Spanish, just worried that it will be very complex.
So, for art, what is your style of work? (personally I mean, what is your preferred art movement etc?) thanks for the help :smile:

Aw wow you must be so good at art, I got a b at gcse but 4 marks off a, got my AS result yesterday I got a B, few marks off a again! Spanish is hard bit in my class there is 7 of us with 3 diff teachers so it's really great! Art I'd say mine is contemporary, Im not good at oil paints. Art movement is tricky but..
For unit 1 I did stitched fashion illustrations inspired by maurizio anzeri who was at Baltic in Newcastle & Emma Cowan her work!
Unit 2 was like flowers with bitumin, do u have twitter? I can show u pics if u like, where u from?

Hi, I want to do economics at university (preferably UCL, Warwick or Cambridge), for a levels I know that I need Maths, Further Maths and Economics but as my fourth choice I am currently stuck between physics and geography. Also, will it be advisable for me to drop anyone of these subjects for A2 considering some top universities tend to treat maths and further maths as one subject (or I think this is the case anyways). Atm I am expecting to get atleast 5.5A*s 4.5A's and 1B and 1C atleast but I do think that I will get more A*'s than what I think I have. So should I pick physics or geo??? Thanks!!!
Hey all: hope your all doing well :smile: , I am in year 11 and starting a levels in September. I was wondering what is the best way to revise to revise for science A levels. Secondly best way to revise for maths A level and thirdly for economics. And any specific hints/ tips / revision techniques would be appreciated and grateful for when I should start revising for January exams. Thanks a lot everyone really appreciated and grateful. Good luck and take care :smile:
Original post by tupac makaveli
Hey all: hope your all doing well :smile: , I am in year 11 and starting a levels in September. I was wondering what is the best way to revise to revise for science A levels. Secondly best way to revise for maths A level and thirdly for economics. And any specific hints/ tips / revision techniques would be appreciated and grateful for when I should start revising for January exams. Thanks a lot everyone really appreciated and grateful. Good luck and take care :smile:

For all of them I cannot stress heavily enough the importance of past-papers. Do them, once, twice or three times if you have the time. I've missed that element this year as all my subjects are essay subjects and it's quite difficult to find the time to do past paper after endless past paper. But hey! You don't have that excuse! :wink:

From friends of mine who study math-sy science-sy subjects, they're all inclined to make revisions for equations in maths or sciences, with the rules of each equation below the actual equation. Gives you a chance to us coloured pens too, BEST PART EVAAR! :biggrin: Also, use these cards to make mind maps- a friend had his all stuck on the wall with string indicating a route to each part of they silly-bus (crack myself up).

That's about all I can offer, but as far as I know that's about the only things they do. It seems to work pretty well too, give it a go! :biggrin:
Reply 3418
Original post by LauraEmilyT
Aw wow you must be so good at art, I got a b at gcse but 4 marks off a, got my AS result yesterday I got a B, few marks off a again! Spanish is hard bit in my class there is 7 of us with 3 diff teachers so it's really great! Art I'd say mine is contemporary, Im not good at oil paints. Art movement is tricky but..
For unit 1 I did stitched fashion illustrations inspired by maurizio anzeri who was at Baltic in Newcastle & Emma Cowan her work!
Unit 2 was like flowers with bitumin, do u have twitter? I can show u pics if u like, where u from?

I've replied by private message :smile:
Reply 3419
Original post by tupac makaveli

For maths, there isn't a whole lot of learning involved, but a lot of applying. The key is to try and do as many questions on each section as possible and then go crazy with past papers. Basically, practice. But make sure you understand the topics. Do not fall behind in class; if you do not understand a concept, ask your teacher.

For the sciences, it depends on which ones. Generally, I make notes on the topics and then do questions, leading up to past papers when I've covered it all. Make notes whichever way is most suited to you. For Biology, there's a whole lot of notes, Chemistry is less and Physics is least.

As an overall tip, keep up with the work throughout the year, do all the homework, and, if you're struggling with something, get it sorted out before exam time. It'll make your life a lot easier.

Latest