The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
Yes, but cant you pick a different subject to drop at A2? Perhaps a language? Further maths seems a bit dull..and med schools such as UCL require a language at AS level (If im not mistaken)

I'd personally do something else at AS.
Original post by jellybean_
I also meant to add - any particular areas of interest for work? E.g law, healthcare, teaching?

That's the thing... I have no idea what I want to do. Only what I don't want to do. Which is why I'm really confused as what A-Levels to choose...
Original post by >Username<
Basically. I'm confused.

I don't know what I want to do in the future. The idea of college doesn't interest me, to me it just means more pressure for an exam which is almost meaningless just like any other exam. I could go into something vocational, but there is nothing there that interests me. I have chosen A-Levels I enjoy. And I will work hard at them. My issue is, I have no idea where my life is going. And I don't know who to believe.

I've read a number of threads on here about how the education system doesn't really prepare people for "real life". Its more get good grades, get into a good college, get good grades, get into a good University... Then bam. You're into the real world. In addition to this I'm starting realise the whole education system is basically a mess in general.

Anyhow. The A-Levels I've choose are: Geography. Economics. Philosophy. Psychology.

I choose these A-Levels carefully as there isn't much else I enjoy. So, basically, where will these A-Levels get me? If anywhere?

Do you think they are a good combination? For anyone who does these subjects, how did you find it?

Thanks.

Not what I would do...

Philosophy and Psychology are LOL subjects.

Why don't you throw some Maths in there?
Basically. I'm confused.

I don't know what I want to do in the future. The idea of college doesn't interest me, to me it just means more pressure for an exam which is almost meaningless just like any other exam. I could go into something vocational, but there is nothing there that interests me. I have chosen A-Levels I enjoy. And I will work hard at them. My issue is, I have no idea where my life is going. And I don't know who to believe.

I've read a number of threads on here about how the education system doesn't really prepare people for "real life". Its more get good grades, get into a good college, get good grades, get into a good University... Then bam. You're into the real world. In addition to this I'm starting realise the whole education system is basically a mess in general.

Anyhow. The A-Levels I've choose are: Geography. Economics. Philosophy. Psychology.

I choose these A-Levels carefully as there isn't much else I enjoy. So, basically, where will these A-Levels get me? If anywhere?

Do you think they are a good combination? For anyone who does these subjects, how did you find it?

Thanks.

They sound alright to me. :smile: From looking at 'respected subject choices' etc, I know that they're all quite good. :fluffy: If you enjoy them, then go for it!

Would you ever consider languages? (I'm asking because I'm a language applicant! :tongue: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dream.On
Yes, but cant you pick a different subject to drop at A2? Perhaps a language? Further maths seems a bit dull..and med schools such as UCL require a language at AS level (If im not mistaken)

You are very mistaken.
Original post by Transcendence
Not what I would do...

Philosophy and Psychology are LOL subjects.

Why don't you throw some Maths in there?

Fair enough. But I don't enjoy any other subjects... I honestly don't. As for Maths, I don't mind doing Maths but I'd rather do Philosophy...

You see this is my problem. I know that the subjects I've chosen aren't that good, yet they are the only ones I enjoy. BUT. Another problems is, I am only going off what other people have told me... I have never experienced these subjects therefore I have no idea if they will get me far...?
Original post by Quick-use
They sound alright to me. :smile: From looking at 'respected subject choices' etc, I know that they're all quite good. :fluffy: If you enjoy them, then go for it!

Would you ever consider languages? (I'm asking because I'm a language applicant! :tongue: )

I did do a language at GCSE, but I hated that, and I even hated it throughout secondary school. Lol. I only choose it because my teacher said it'd be good for the future plus there was nothing else for me to choose...
Fair enough. But I don't enjoy any other subjects... I honestly don't. As for Maths, I don't mind doing Maths but I'd rather do Philosophy...

You see this is my problem. I know that the subjects I've chosen aren't that good, yet they are the only ones I enjoy. BUT. Another problems is, I am only going off what other people have told me... I have never experienced these subjects therefore I have no idea if they will get me far...?

You can't go far wrong with the traditional subjects. You might find you really enjoy maths at A level. You should look through the books for each subject you are considering to give you a better idea of what to expect.
Reply 3488
Geography - very boring after a while, lots of case studies..

Psychology - fun and rather light weight, you should enjoy it a lot especially being a whole new subject to ya!

I dont know nothing about economics, but Ive heard Philosophy is easy. Not sure if its really rated though.
Coming from experience, you should just pick the A levels you enjoy. I picked biology and chemistry because I thought I needed them and I completely regret it. You're only really going to apply yourself to something you enjoy anyway, and this goes for university and/or your future career. Aim for something you enjoy not that other people necessarily think are 'respectable'.

I think you have a really nice mix of subjects that can open some great doors for you. I hope you enjoy college :smile:
Basically. I'm confused.

Thanks.

Get rid of Geog and take maths.

imho.
I think your subjects are fine, none of them are really 'soft' and as long you think you'll enjoy them then it's all good :biggrin:
Reply 3492
I think it's a modern language at GCSE, not at AS.

Also, not all med schools require UKCAT or BMAT - Birmingham doesn't and there may be others.

I haven't looked at every med school, but all those I have investigated don't accept Further Maths as a third A level. I would think it is very high risk to take it, it really narrows your options and then you have to have the perfect profile for the few that might accept it. Also it leaves you no option to drop one of the other subjects if AS's don't go according to plan. My school, with a good record of getting students in to med school, encourages an essay subject for the third A level, or at the very least for the 4th AS. (I'm doing Maths, Chem, Bio and History)

If you are going ahead with FM why not take a 5th AS in an essay subject? Also, be wary if your school does the Maths A in year 12 and the FM A in year 13 - some unis won't accept A's taken in different years.
Original post by Dream.On

UCL require a GCSE in a language. They also like a non-science subject at A level. I would suggest not doing further maths, but perhaps a subject involving some essay writing, particularly if you wish to apply to any BMAT med schools. (Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL).
Original post by HCubed

Also, not all med schools require UKCAT or BMAT - Birmingham doesn't and there may be others.

Bristol and Liverpool, if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the advice guys, I have chosen English Lit, History, Economics and Class Civ.
What's the difference between Classics and Classical Civilisations? Is one considered to be more 'soft' that the other?
So if I was to drop further maths and take a different subject it should be an essay subject such as history and not psychology?

I am far better at maths than I am essay subjects. I'm currently on an A* in both history and maths, but I can see history being much more of a challenge for me at A-Level compared to further maths which I think I would personally find easier.

I will most probably be applying to universities near me such as Sheffield, Nottingham, Hull York Medical School etc. All of which accept maths and further maths as separate subjects up to A2-Level so that shouldn't be a problem.

If this is accruate then it looks like most universities accept further maths http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/medical_schools_entry_requirement_june_2011_1.1.pdf

I will also definitely not be applying to universities such as UCL, Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial because I doubt I'll be able to get in them anyway so having a language at AS-Level won't be a problem anyway. I am also studying Spanish at GCSE but it is my weakest subject.
Original post by HCubed
I think it's a modern language at GCSE, not at AS.

I haven't looked at every med school, but all those I have investigated don't accept Further Maths as a third A level. I would think it is very high risk to take it, it really narrows your options and then you have to have the perfect profile for the few that might accept it. Also it leaves you no option to drop one of the other subjects if AS's don't go according to plan. My school, with a good record of getting students in to med school, encourages an essay subject for the third A level, or at the very least for the 4th AS. (I'm doing Maths, Chem, Bio and History)

If you are going ahead with FM why not take a 5th AS in an essay subject? Also, be wary if your school does the Maths A in year 12 and the FM A in year 13 - some unis won't accept A's taken in different years.

I am taking further maths as my 4th not my 3rd subject. I will also not be dropping chemistry or biology as that is required for medicine really and I am already on an A in AS-Level Maths so I doubt I will be dropping that. If I was going to drop a subject it would be further maths. All of the universities I'm thinking of applying to say they are separate subjects such as Sheffield, Nottingham, Hull York, Newcastle,
Original post by bobbyy123
So if I was to drop further maths and take a different subject it should be an essay subject such as history and not psychology?

I am far better at maths than I am essay subjects. I'm currently on an A* in both history and maths, but I can see history being much more of a challenge for me at A-Level compared to further maths which I think I would personally find easier.

I will most probably be applying to universities near me such as Sheffield, Nottingham, Hull York Medical School etc. All of which accept maths and further maths as separate subjects up to A2-Level so that shouldn't be a problem.

If this is accruate then it looks like most universities accept further maths http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/medical_schools_entry_requirement_june_2011_1.1.pdf

I will also definitely not be applying to universities such as UCL, Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial because I doubt I'll be able to get in them anyway so having a language at AS-Level won't be a problem anyway. I am also studying Spanish at GCSE but it is my weakest subject.

Psychology would be fine. If you're good at maths-type subjects, what about doing Physics rather than Further Maths, since it is definitely counted as a separate subject? Although psychology would also be OK.

I'd be wary of trusting everything people say on here - it really doesn't matter if you have an essay subject or not.

Also, if you are sure enough medschools accept Maths and F.Maths separately, then you could just stick with Further Maths, although I'm not sure how much that would constrain your choices for medical school.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Psychology would be fine. If you're good at maths-type subjects, what about doing Physics rather than Further Maths, since it is definitely counted as a separate subject? Although psychology would also be OK.

I'd be wary of trusting everything people say on here - it really doesn't matter if you have an essay subject or not.

Also, if you are sure enough medschools accept Maths and F.Maths separately, then you could just stick with Further Maths, although I'm not sure how much that would constrain your choices for medical school.

Thank you.

Sheffield, Hull York, Nottingham, Newcastle and a few others I'm thinking of applying to all accept further maths so I don't see anything wrong with doing it.

Do you know if this website is 100% about doing further maths? http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/medical_schools_entry_requirement_june_2011_1.1.pdf

I also don't understand Manchester saying: We do accept Further Maths as a separate A-
Level. We would not accept Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths in one sitting. Subjects required: Chemistry, plus one from Biology or Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics plus one further subject (not Critical Thinking or General Studies; Further Mathematics not accepted alongside Mathematics).

It seems to contradict itself.

Would I be fine to apply to Leeds with Chemistry, biology, maths and further maths from this as I have biology:

We would
not accept a combination at A2 of Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths for entry into medicine as we are looking for breadth (we would also not accept Chemistry, Biology or Human Biology at A2).

Latest