The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lola1993
hey (:
i'm sorry there are loads of threads out there similar to this one but not exactly what i want to ask, so yeah here goes..
i want to study medicine, i'm definitely taking maths, biology, chemistry and physics for a-level but i want to take a 5th subject so that i don't have to go gen. studies or crit. thinking. either: philosophy and ethics, sociology or further maths?
any comments about those three subjects would be great + any advice about whether taking a 5th subject would put me at an advantage seeing as i'd be likely to take RS which is an art subject?

thanks (:

It depends. Either do those 4 well, or do 5 and spend less time studying for each subject and maybe not do as well. You may do really well doing 5, and if so, then go for it. But if you think it'll be a lot of work, you're better off doing 4, getting really good grades and getting into a good medical school :smile:
Hi I'm looking to do a Nutrition and Dietetics course at University.

For A-Level I have chosen Sport Science, Biology, History and Philosophy. I have looked into many courses and there are a good few which either want Chemistry or would prefer a science plus one other which they put in brackets 'Chemistry preferred'. The thing is, I'm both not amazing at it nor like the subject and so I don't really know what to do. I could do Phsychology but personally have no interest in a lot of it, only really the sports side. I've already been told of a charity which the Uni's look favour people to volunteer for but is there anything else I could do?? I just really need some guidance from people who know :L :redface:
Reply 3602
Original post by Akkuz
Take 6. All the cool kids are doing it.

This made me LOL.
Original post by Laurakr
I'm new here and not quite sure where i should be asking this :frown:
So randomly going to post here and hope for a reply *fingers crossed*
So basically i've just finished my GCSE's and i'm looking at what to study for A-level.
I have been predicted A* in all my GCSE subjects, however i think A's and B's are much more likely- we shall see come results day!
I have no idea what i want to study at university- all i know is that i do want to go to university! Therefore i'm trying to keep my options open with my A-level choices.
SO, i'm considering taking these:

Maths (Definitely)
Biology (Definitely)
Business (Definitely)
however i'm stuck on the fourth. I was going to take English, but after induction days i've been scared about just how much work taking 4 "hard" subjects will be!
I'm considering either psychology or sociology. Which would be best? Would these be good options? What sort of degrees/careers would this open up for me? I need as much help as possible please! :frown:
Again, apologies if it would have been better to post else where!

Hope exams have gone well. Business isn't a particularly hard subject, it is actually considered a soft subject by Cambridge.
What subject are you hoping to study at university?
Original post by Laurakr
I'm new here and not quite sure where i should be asking this :frown:
So randomly going to post here and hope for a reply *fingers crossed*
So basically i've just finished my GCSE's and i'm looking at what to study for A-level.
I have been predicted A* in all my GCSE subjects, however i think A's and B's are much more likely- we shall see come results day!
I have no idea what i want to study at university- all i know is that i do want to go to university! Therefore i'm trying to keep my options open with my A-level choices.
SO, i'm considering taking these:

Maths (Definitely)
Biology (Definitely)
Business (Definitely)
however i'm stuck on the fourth. I was going to take English, but after induction days i've been scared about just how much work taking 4 "hard" subjects will be!
I'm considering either psychology or sociology. Which would be best? Would these be good options? What sort of degrees/careers would this open up for me? I need as much help as possible please! :frown:
Again, apologies if it would have been better to post else where!

As has been said business is not considered a 'hard' subject but IMO psychology is at least as hard as maths and biology. Given your other subjects, you seem to be more sciency then artsy, so be careful with English (I did AS English Lit and found it really hard despite an A* at GCSE). These options leave you fairly open: you could go into science, doing something biology-related, although Chemistry would be ideal for this. You could go into almost any non-subject-specific field such as business, accounting, marketing, etc. You could also go into psychology, although if this is a fourth choice I'm guessing it isn't your favourite subject.
Original post by PythianLegume
As has been said business is not considered a 'hard' subject but IMO psychology is at least as hard as maths and biology. Given your other subjects, you seem to be more sciency then artsy, so be careful with English (I did AS English Lit and found it really hard despite an A* at GCSE). These options leave you fairly open: you could go into science, doing something biology-related, although Chemistry would be ideal for this. You could go into almost any non-subject-specific field such as business, accounting, marketing, etc. You could also go into psychology, although if this is a fourth choice I'm guessing it isn't your favourite subject.

Business and Psychology aren't considered hard subjects and are disliked by universities.
I've just finished AS. I'm doing Eng Lit, Spanish, Psychology and sociology.

for A2 I'm looking to drop either sociology or psychology.
I enjoy both subjects, Sociology is my strongest but is seen by some as the softer out of the 2?

looking to do Eng lit & Spanish @ university

Suggestions??????:smile::confused:
Original post by jayjamine
I've just finished AS. I'm doing Eng Lit, Spanish, Psychology and sociology.

for A2 I'm looking to drop either sociology or psychology.
I enjoy both subjects, Sociology is my strongest but is seen by some as the softer out of the 2?

looking to do Eng lit & Spanish @ university

Suggestions??????:smile::confused:

I don't really think it matters. If you think you will get a better grade in Sociology then do that. But do the one you enjoy the most.
Reply 3608
Original post by PythianLegume

Thank you so much! Definitely agree with being more sciency than artsy, so think that english wouldn't be a good idea. A few people have commented saying that psychology is seen as a 'soft' subject- i'm aware of that, but i'm not looking at going to any of the top universities so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem? Found this very helpful, thank you!!
Reply 3609
Original post by Dalek1099
Business and Psychology aren't considered hard subjects and are disliked by universities.

Seeing as though i'm not looking at going to one of the top universities i don't think this should be a problem? I think i'd be better off doing something i enjoy (the idea of psychology fascinates me!) and therefore hopefully getting better grades; rather than doing something seen as 'proper' and doing less well?
Reply 3610
Original post by Heptapus
Hope exams have gone well. Business isn't a particularly hard subject, it is actually considered a soft subject by Cambridge.
What subject are you hoping to study at university?

I'm not looking into going to any of the top universities so hopefully two 'solid' subjects, with two less so 'solid' should be okay? And i have no idea what i want to go on to study- which is why i'm trying to keep my options open :smile:
Reply 3611
what is chemistry like at a level hard ?
Original post by Laurakr
Thank you so much! Definitely agree with being more sciency than artsy, so think that english wouldn't be a good idea. A few people have commented saying that psychology is seen as a 'soft' subject- i'm aware of that, but i'm not looking at going to any of the top universities so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem? Found this very helpful, thank you!!

I say take chemistry:smile: looks good for most things tbh, and as said you sound more sciency, so even if you don't go into science directly it will still help you/make you appeal to unis :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
i'm just really confused...
i'm thinking of taking bio, chem, english lit and pschology at A level would i be able to do medicine or optometry at uni.

are my A levels a good choice or is it compulsory to do maths or physics instead
Original post by sapphiregold
i'm just really confused...
i'm thinking of taking bio, chem, english lit and pschology at A level would i be able to do medicine or optometry at uni.

are my A levels a good choice or is it compulsory to do maths or physics instead

You would be better with maths.
Original post by CJG21
You would be better with maths.

maths instead of pschology
but i only predictied a high B at GCSE would i struggle
maths instead of pschology
but i only predictied a high B at GCSE would i struggle

You never know, you could get an A. If you think you might struggle then do a bit of work beforehand.

If you don't think you'll get a good grade in maths or you don't enjoy it, then obviously don't do it.
Original post by CJG21
You never know, you could get an A. If you think you might struggle then do a bit of work beforehand.

If you don't think you'll get a good grade in maths or you don't enjoy it, then obviously don't do it.

bt could i still do optometry or medicine with bio,chem,english lit and pschology
or could i get away with doing AS maths and then dropping it
bt could i still do optometry or medicine with bio,chem,english lit and pschology
or could i get away with doing AS maths and then dropping it

Cardiff Uni say you need AAA at A-Level in Two Of Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics for optometry so yes. I'm not sure about other unis.
Reply 3619
Original post by LauraEmilyT
Also it's not a subject which requires opinions, there is only one correct answer & u just have to learn it which could be tedious, a bit of case study work too! What grade did u get a gcse?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

predicted an A

Latest