The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Nandika
Wot he said! IB rules, see my post above for further details =]

XxxxX

Lol IB isn't any better than A-levels. A-levels are better imo.
pow!
*facepalm* you do realise i was saying a levels are better than IB?

Oh right! I actually didn't :rolleyes: Pfft. Clearly I'm not a great advert for the IB, but yer, I stick by my opinion :biggrin:

XxxxX
Oxy
Lol IB isn't any better than A-levels. A-levels are better imo.

Yer but it depends who you are =]

If you want to keep your options open I think IB is better. I'm not dissing A levels though, IB was just better for me.

XxxxX
If you interested in more mathematical degrees like economics, maths , statistics then take further maths if your interested in possibly more essay based subjects then A level history or english literature may be sufficient.
Reply 64
Take Further Maths!

Great Combiantion for an Economics Degree
Reply 65
Alex22Spurs
why would it have to be an essay writing subject - is that essential? :eek:

It's up to you of course but I think an essay writing subject because you don't have one and then you will have more options later on. There are many essay writing subjects to choose from, e.g. english lang, english lit, philosophy, history of art, classics, politics...but I think History matches your current choices best. Although, it doesn't have to match, you can do any subjects you want! :smile:
Reply 66
English Literature or History would be good:smile:
I would suggest do something that interests you, and that you would enjoy.
I decided on a few subjects which look good on uni applications and I just didnt enjoy a few of them, I changed one option to performing arts-best decision I have ever made.
xx
Reply 68
An essay writing subject is useful because it doesnt have to be career specific, but they are generally well respected and academic, so can help you with uni and careers.

Id go with english, history or a language if you REALLY dislike/are bad at essays, otherwise english or history
Thanks for all the replies...one more question..
What sort of profession/job would Maths, Economic, Geography and a science get you into?
Any ideas...
I would go for either:
Further maths
Chemistry
Physics
English literature
Reply 71
Sorry if you read my other thread a few months ago but we have been told to hand in our final responses as to what we want to take for AS level next year.
I have managed to whittle my options down to 6, but I can't decide what 4 I should choose. I am pretty sure I want to do law at university, but am also interested in doing psychology or criminology/psychology joint honors.
The six subjects I am considering taking are History, English Literature, RS, Biology, Psychology and Economics. I am definitely going to take History because its my best subject and i am really interested in History as a whole.
English Literature I am probably going to take because I am quite good at it when I put my mind to it and concentrate, also I like the two teachers I am likely to get next year and I know its very good for a law degree.
RS is a bit of a weird one, because although I am very good at it I don't really want to take it along with History and English because I think I may get bored because they are quite similar subjects in terms of skills and I don't want to seem too one dimensional.
Biology is probably the one I am weakest at of the 4 i currently take for GCSE, although I still think I will get an A overall. I am very interested in Biology though, more so than RS and English Literature; but think I may struggle with it. Any opinions about how hard people currently find it would be very welcome :smile:
I have always been interested in why people do things and thats why I thought Psychology might be for me. Its the same with Economics really, genuine interest, but i don't want to take up two new subjects so any opinion on preference as to which would most likely get me into a good uni for law would be helpful.
Cheers x :rolleyes:
If you want, take 5.
I would take English literature, as it is a well respected subject and I think that most people who take it enjoy it, even if it is hard work!
If you want to do psychology at university, don't think you need to take psychology at AS/A level, but I think it would be best to do so. Most people I know who take it enjoy it, but they severly underestimated the workload. Don't make that mistake.
I don't really see what economics has to do with your other subjects, or your prospective university subject. However, it is an interesting subject, and arguably quite useful in the current economic situation. :p:
Just because you're interested in biology doesn't mean you'll like it at A level. Biology is a very broad subject. I thought I liked biology, but the topics at A level are of little interest to me. I like biochemistry and genetics, but there is minimal biochemistry and the genetics isn't very thorough. It isn't a difficult subject (for a science) but there is an awful lot to remember. Since November, I've been getting Ds and below because I haven't been making an effort. I know I can get a high A, but I still haven't started revision and just the thought of all the terminology I need to recall makes me want to **** myself. However, it does go well with the biological aspects of psychology, and is a useful subject for university admissions for psychology courses.
RS is the one subject here I have no knowledge of. From what I've seen on here, there are many different forms of RS, from religion specific to pure ethics. If I were you, I'd rule this one out and decide between biology and economics.

If you want very personal opinions, then here is mine:
AS: English literature, history, psychology, biology.
A2: English literature, history, psychology.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Oh ****, you wanted to know about law too. Well, English literature and history are the main two for law I think, and they like essay based subjects, as well as logical subjects. Economics would be good here! Although, I would highly suggest maths. Why don't you want to take maths, or haven't you thought about it?
I think replacing AS biology with maths would be a good idea, and then taking it to A2 in place of psychology.

Then again, you don't need to think about A2s for a while yet.
Reply 73
AnonyMatt
If you want, take 5.
I would take English literature, as it is a well respected subject and I think that most people who take it enjoy it, even if it is hard work!
If you want to do psychology at university, don't think you need to take psychology at AS/A level, but I think it would be best to do so. Most people I know who take it enjoy it, but they severly underestimated the workload. Don't make that mistake.
I don't really see what economics has to do with your other subjects, or your prospective university subject. However, it is an interesting subject, and arguably quite useful in the current economic situation. :p:
Just because you're interested in biology doesn't mean you'll like it at A level. Biology is a very broad subject. I thought I liked biology, but the topics at A level are of little interest to me. I like biochemistry and genetics, but there is minimal biochemistry and the genetics isn't very thorough. It isn't a difficult subject (for a science) but there is an awful lot to remember. Since November, I've been getting Ds and below because I haven't been making an effort. I know I can get a high A, but I still haven't started revision and just the thought of all the terminology I need to recall makes me want to **** myself. However, it does go well with the biological aspects of psychology, and is a useful subject for university admissions for psychology courses.
RS is the one subject here I have no knowledge of. From what I've seen on here, there are many different forms of RS, from religion specific to pure ethics. If I were you, I'd rule this one out and decide between biology and economics.

If you want very personal opinions, then here is mine:
AS: English literature, history, psychology, biology.
A2: English literature, history, psychology.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Oh ****, you wanted to know about law too. Well, English literature and history are the main two for law I think, and they like essay based subjects, as well as logical subjects. Economics would be good here! Although, I would highly suggest maths. Why don't you want to take maths, or haven't you thought about it?
I think replacing AS biology with maths would be a good idea, and then taking it to A2 in place of psychology.

Then again, you don't need to think about A2s for a while yet.

Ive done my maths gcse, got a A for it and now taking fsmq, and really struggling with it. So maths isn't really an option for me!
Reply 74
English, History, Economics and AS Biology OR English, History, Psychology, AS Biology or Economics
If you are thinking of doing Law at university, you shouldn't really need R.E. or Economics - as long as you can do basic maths and have a good calculator you will be fine. English, Biology, History & Psychology sound like a good mix but if you think you can handle a 5th A Level subject, go for it. All I will say is that History is a lot different to GCSE and there is a lot of writing in Psychology.. I filled half an A4 book with what I needed to learn for one Psychology A2 exam. :yes:

I hope you enjoy Psychology and English, I did. :smile: I wasn't too keen on History though.
Reply 76
I'm wanting to do a degree in Medicine in 2 years time.
I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Business Studies for my A Level choices (I'm intending to drop Business Studies after AS). Is this the right choice?

I know many people choose physics and maths as their last two.. but I have alot of difficulty with them. I'm also aware that they're not necesarry for alot of Medicine degrees..

Have I made the right choices? I still have a few weeks to make my final decision :smile:
elfpixie
I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Business Studies for my A Level choices (I'm intending to drop Business Studies after AS). Is this the right choice?

I know many people choose physics and maths as their last two.. but I have alot of difficulty with them. I'm also aware that they're not necesarry for alot of Medicine degrees..

Have I made the right choices? I still have a few weeks to make my final decision :smile:

Instead of BS, how about English Lit or History? :smile:
Look at some university websites and see what subjects they like for Medicine.
I went into sixth form with the intention of doing Medicine and I did Chemistry, Biology, History and Textiles and dropped Textiles at AS and my A levels would have been fine.
Reply 79
elfpixie

3 sciences or maths is required for Cambridge at AS

Latest