The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
For my a level options i have choosen:
English lit.
R.E
and Ancient history
these 3 are my main important ones that i will carry on in my second year, as i have also choosen archeology as it interests me but i think i will drop it at my second year.

i was just wondering is English lit, R.E and Ancient history a good choice of a levels, as i hope to do a law degree at universitiy when i have finished college.
So are these good a level choices to study law at university?
Reply 781
I would say so, English and History are great A level choices for law.
For a law degree you should look at studying Maths and chemistry, keep at lease one essay subject, e.g English Lit/RS/History
Reply 783
I think they are good choices for Alevel to do law
My boyfriend did those (and politics) and he's doing law at LSE
Reply 784
oh-bang
I think they are good choices for Alevel to do law
My boyfriend did those (and politics) and he's doing law at LSE

thanks for your reply, its just i wasn't sure about ancient history as i thought the universties may prefer modern history instead of ancient history.
these alevels are absolutely fine for law
Wassermelon.
^ I'd say the same as above (just a good qualification in A level music to carry on to degree level) but for a few universities/conservatoires you need at least grade 8 trinity guildhall in some sort of instrument. But this is only for some :smile: I'm looking into the same sort of career options as you are. :smile:

Thanks everybody for your advice, I have decided to stick with my original subject choices. I already have grade 8 in piano and flute so hopefully will gain a good grade at music A level at least in the performance aspects of the exam. :woo:
Reply 787
I did OCR English and really loved it! Theres a huuuuge variety of texts/types of coursework you can do and theres a nice 40/60 coursework/exam balance which takes the pressure off a bit, trust me! Im not sure how much teachers have told you specifically about the course/exam but if you have any questions Ill be happy to answer

I also did french on WJEC and yeah its a big step up to AS-level but not so much to A2 as long as you kept up with the work and vocab learning. Also, my teachers handed us this massive verb table book in our first lesson and made it sound like we had to learn absolutely everything to pass. You dont need to (just learn ten common ones and understand how some irregulars conjugate). But yeah, even though its a step its probably the subject you'll learn to love and enjoy :smile:

I also did ocr critical thinking. Complete waste of time, probably only helped a bit when it came to LNAT style questions but no matter what my teacher says, I really dont think I gained anything from it!
I'm just deciding on my a levels and I am currently thinking of doing Chemistry at uni.
At the moment I've chosen
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics
I am considering changing economics to german. I chose economics initially as i thought i would find it interesting and fairly easy. However i am wondering if i should take German instead as it might be more useful for future jobs. I have never found german easy but am predicted an A* for GCSE (Although I suspect I'll get an A at best).
I'm just worried that any extra work required to take German instead may drag my grades down in the other subjects.
so my question is...do you think that German is more valuble than economics for the sciences and is it worth taking it if it may drag down any other grades?
I hope this question is in the right place...
Butterfly away
I'm just deciding on my a levels and I am currently thinking of doing Chemistry at uni.
At the moment I've chosen
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics
I am considering changing economics to german. I chose economics initially as i thought i would find it interesting and fairly easy. However i am wondering if i should take German instead as it might be more useful for future jobs. I have never found german easy but am predicted an A* for GCSE (Although I suspect I'll get an A at best).
I'm just worried that any extra work required to take German instead may drag my grades down in the other subjects.
so my question is...do you think that German is more valuble than economics for the sciences and is it worth taking it if it may drag down any other grades?
I hope this question is in the right place...

Economics would make it easer to get onto an economics course at university if you enjoy it that much, but for chemistry, it doesn't matter at all. Both are respected and traditional subjects. Further maths A-level can be advantageous for chemistry admission at university, but is isn't a requirement, and some people could get bored of double maths anyway.

If you honestly think that German will drag down your other grades then don't do it. If however after GCSE results' day you think you could cope without German affecting anything else, then choose which A-level you think you would enjoy most and/or do the best in.

My school is always encouraging us to take language A-levels because they found some statistics that say: "Those who speak a foreign language to A-level standard often get 5-10% more salary in the same jobs than others do who don't have a language A-level", so that might be something to think about.

Some universities have chemistry degrees with industrial placements (lasting an extra year before you graduate), which often need a language A-level depending on the country you go to.
Reply 790
Duckzilla
Economics would make it easer to get onto an economics course at university if you enjoy it that much, but for chemistry, it doesn't matter at all. Both are respected and traditional subjects. Further maths A-level can be advantageous for chemistry admission at university, but is isn't a requirement, and some people could get bored of double maths anyway.

If you honestly think that German will drag down your other grades then don't do it. If however after GCSE results' day you think you could cope without German affecting anything else, then choose which A-level you think you would enjoy most and/or do the best in.

My school is always encouraging us to take language A-levels because they found some statistics that say: "Those who speak a foreign language to A-level standard often get 5-10% more salary in the same jobs than others do who don't have a language A-level", so that might be something to think about.

Some universities have chemistry degrees with industrial placements (lasting an extra year before you graduate), which often need a language A-level depending on the country you go to.

I was looking at your sig and it says you are doing financial studies next year? What is that, I've never even heard of that as an A level before.
star_5
I was looking at your sig and it says you are doing financial studies next year? What is that, I've never even heard of that as an A level before.

At my school we have to do general studies, critical thinking or financial studies. It's not an actual A-level; it's a diploma from IFS, but it still gives you UCAS points equivalent to an AS.
Reply 792
Duckzilla
At my school we have to do general studies, critical thinking or financial studies. It's not an actual A-level; it's a diploma from IFS, but it still gives you UCAS points equivalent to an AS.

k thanks for clearing up my confusion :p:
Reply 793
ok...now im thinking
Biology
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sports Science

with extensions in
Critical Thinking
Science research project in Psychology

I want to study Psychology at uni but not sure which type yet...do these sound like good choices? PLEASE HELP! thank you
I am thinking of studying law at uni, but not sure what subjects to take! can anyone help?

The good thing about Law is that you can take any subjects, tbh, as long as they have a high amount of academic content (so traditional subjects like Maths, English, the sciences, History, a language etc. are all great). So it's best to just pick ones you actually have an interest in and think you could do well in.
Hi, i need to pick my A levels in the next few weeks so here are my options:

1. history
geography
ecomonics
maths

2. economics
maths
politics
geography

3. economics
maths
history
biology

4. economics
maths
chemistry
biology

I want to study law at uni, which subject combinations are best?
There are no specific subject requirements for law, and as these are all "respected" subjects, it's really up to you and what subjects you like.

I would do history though, because it's amazing. :pierre:
Reply 798
Any of those subject combinations are fine. They're all good respectable A Levels so just go with the subjects you would enjoy the most :smile:
Reply 799
Pick any of them.

Latest