The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missfats
History (OCR)
Psychology (AQA)
Literature (?)

I am planning to do Law at university, so I'd like to ask if taking biology or economics is more beneficial for my future career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The chance that your A-level knowledge is going to be a limiting factor on any future career is almost zero, especially in law. I would go with whatever you enjoy most!
I spent a week working for Pinsent Masons (commercial solicitors firm) and they were really interested by my A-Level combination (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics), they really liked the fact that I had chosen the subjects I enjoyed and said they preferred applicants to have a certain level of subject-specific knowledge in subjects not normally associated with law applicants (e.g. sciences).
If I had to choose I would go for Biology but that's because I'm an out-and-out scientist, go with whatever you enjoy and you can't go too far wrong!
Original post by scrawlx101
Are these good options considering I want to be a psychologist when im older?

Biology
Psychology
English Literature
Economics

Any alternatives you could suggest,kinda struggling for a plan B if I cant do one of my options.I refuse to do I.T,Chemistry,Physics,Geography(could change depending on my grade),Art,Maths.

I struggle with chemistry and physics...maths too...

I enjoy R.S,Business studies,English in general,I wouldnt mind philosophy either

My friend is doing the same A-Levels as you, except that she's doing History in place of economics. She is applying to do Psychology this year, so I think they are good A-levels :smile:
Maths is probably a lot more useful that economics for psychology, as there's a lot of statistics involved in a psychology degree which is covered in A-Level maths. So doing maths might make you a stronger applicant this time next year, as well as making your life at university a little easier. But if you really hate the subject, it wouldn't make sense to do it.
Just remember that you're going to cover the material sooner or later, and that choosing sooner means that you will have teachers to support you and move at a slower pace than if you choose to do it later :smile:
What does everyone think of the combination of maths, history, geography and economics

I don't really know what degree I want to take and what career to go for but I've picked these because I either enjoy them or I'm interested in them. At the moment I'm thinking law, accounting and finance though.

I'm a bit unsure about economics thought because it will be a new subject for me and I don't know much about anything at all but I'm interested. I'm worried that I'm going to be really bad at it and hate it and end up making a really bad decision. What do you all think?

I've also been stuck about taking sciences because I would say that I am good at them and sort of want to do medicine but I don't know if that's just because I like the idea of it. If I took them I would have the combination of biology, chemistry, maths and history meaning that I won't be able to do geography.

I really need some advice about this all as I need to make my decision a few days after I collect my gcse results tomorrow. Many thanks :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
My friend is doing the same A-Levels as you, except that she's doing History in place of economics. She is applying to do Psychology this year, so I think they are good A-levels :smile:
Maths is probably a lot more useful that economics for psychology, as there's a lot of statistics involved in a psychology degree which is covered in A-Level maths. So doing maths might make you a stronger applicant this time next year, as well as making your life at university a little easier. But if you really hate the subject, it wouldn't make sense to do it.
Just remember that you're going to cover the material sooner or later, and that choosing sooner means that you will have teachers to support you and move at a slower pace than if you choose to do it later :smile:

What grades did she get?
Original post by scrawlx101
What grades did she get?

For her GCSEs she got 4A* in RS, history, maths and english literature, A's in biology, spanish, english language, Bs in psychology, physics, chemistry and drama and a D in latin lol.
For AS-levels she got an A in English lit, a B in psychology (although she is getting a remark as she got full UMS points in mock exams lol) and C grades in biology and history. :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's basically the same thing again, but higher level and worse :tongue:

I had to do intermediate, I got saved in sixth form, no advanced for me :colone:

I'm dreading it!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just how hard is it to do five A-Levels?
Reply 8347
Original post by DebkoX

It depends what subjects you choose, how good at them you are etc. But regardless you would have to put a lot of work in. I mean a lot.
Original post by furryface12
English literature is much better respected by universities if that helps :smile: Other than that, do what you think you'll enjoy most- there's nothing to stop you continuing to write fiction whilst doing English lit although it won't be assessed obviously, and on the other hand you'd still read in your spare time whilst doing English language I'm sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That does help, thank you! I think I'm gonna be choosing Lit tomorrow morning :biggrin:
Original post by Mule
It depends what subjects you choose, how good at them you are etc. But regardless you would have to put a lot of work in. I mean a lot.

Thank you, I'm not considering it but I know its not seen as a good idea.
I am not sure of what I would like to do when I am older but have an interest in current affairs, politics, maths and just general social sciences.
What do people think for the as/a levels I'm thinking of doing
As year
1)maths(express so done in 1 year)
2)anthropology
3)history
4)world development
5)philosophy
A2 year
1)further maths
2)anthropology
3)history
4)world development
5)philosophy
That would leave me with 5 a levels and 1 as level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Helloimbethany
I am not sure of what I would like to do when I am older but have an interest in current affairs, politics, maths and just general social sciences.
What do people think for the as/a levels I'm thinking of doing
As year
1)maths(express so done in 1 year)
2)anthropology
3)history
4)world development
5)philosophy
A2 year
1)further maths
2)anthropology
3)history
4)world development
5)philosophy
That would leave me with 5 a levels and 1 as level.

Hi :smile:. To be honest,I wouldn't immediately assume that you'll be doing 5 A levels and 1 AS- it's a high workload and you might be better of just doing the standard 4 AS then 3 A-level.

I say this because if you're interested in applying to the top unis/Russel Group, some of your subjects will be seen as 'soft' and not as rigorous, e.g. Anthropology and World Development.

If you have an interest in current affairs then I would also pick politics if your school offers it, but I'd be careful not to overburden yourself- A*A*A* looks much better than A*AABB, for example.

Based on what you've said above I'd go for (at AS) 1)Maths 2) History 3)Philosophy 4)Politics and then dropping whichever you enjoy the least for A2. I don't think it would hurt choosing Anthropology/World Development as AS, but I would just bear in mind the fact that they probably won't be as highly regarded.
Original post by smile:D
Hi :smile:. To be honest,I wouldn't immediately assume that you'll be doing 5 A levels and 1 AS- it's a high workload and you might be better of just doing the standard 4 AS then 3 A-level.

I say this because if you're interested in applying to the top unis/Russel Group, some of your subjects will be seen as 'soft' and not as rigorous, e.g. Anthropology and World Development.

If you have an interest in current affairs then I would also pick politics if your school offers it, but I'd be careful not to overburden yourself- A*A*A* looks much better than A*AABB, for example.

Based on what you've said above I'd go for (at AS) 1)Maths 2) History 3)Philosophy 4)Politics and then dropping whichever you enjoy the least for A2. I don't think it would hurt choosing Anthropology/World Development as AS, but I would just bear in mind the fact that they probably won't be as highly regarded.

Thank you! :smile: What is your opinion on Sociology in As/A level as I am predicted to achieve an A* for it at GCSE
Original post by Helloimbethany
Thank you! :smile: What is your opinion on Sociology in As/A level as I am predicted to achieve an A* for it at GCSE

Sociology is fine- to be honest- I think provided that the majority of your subjects are 'traditional' you shouldn't have a problem. I would also advise you to go for what you enjoy, as this is what you'll ultimately get the highest grades in :smile:.

You might want to take a look at this- it's published by the Russell Group and gives an overview of 'facilitating subjects'. This is also published by Trinity College, Cambridge and is worth having a look at even if you're not planning on applying- as a general rule of thumb I would try to avoid the subjects in the last category- but one or two at most will be fine, I'd then combine that with 2+ facilitating subjects and a mix of others in the list.

I'd also reiterate that there's no obligation at all to do more subjects than necessary, and in terms of applying for uni, a strong set of grades in fewer subjects (within reason, i.e. 3 A-levels, 1AS) will put you in a stronger position than a mediocre set of grades in more subjects.

Feel free to ask if there's anything else :smile:
Original post by smile:D
Sociology is fine- to be honest- I think provided that the majority of your subjects are 'traditional' you shouldn't have a problem. I would also advise you to go for what you enjoy, as this is what you'll ultimately get the highest grades in :smile:.

You might want to take a look at this- it's published by the Russell Group and gives an overview of 'facilitating subjects'. This is also published by Trinity College, Cambridge and is worth having a look at even if you're not planning on applying- as a general rule of thumb I would try to avoid the subjects in the last category- but one or two at most will be fine, I'd then combine that with 2+ facilitating subjects and a mix of others in the list.

I'd also reiterate that there's no obligation at all to do more subjects than necessary, and in terms of applying for uni, a strong set of grades in fewer subjects (within reason, i.e. 3 A-levels, 1AS) will put you in a stronger position than a mediocre set of grades in more subjects.

Feel free to ask if there's anything else :smile:

No nothing else thank you though, you've really helped :smile:
Original post by DebkoX

It does depend on the subjects but I'd probably say about five times harder than you're probably thinking it does.

I took 5 A Levels this year (well, my school treated it as 6 because I did the AS and the A2 of English Language) and it was fine September-December time but when it came around to January it hits you how much work you have (especially compared to everyone else).

I think it's important to know how much coursework you have for the subjects before deciding on taking 5 because the last thing you want is to have all your coursework deadlines be around the same time (believe me).

It's certainly do-able, but I don't really think it's worth it (*personal opinion, don't shoot me, only person in my year stupid enough to do it*)
These are the subjects im doing at Alevel

Maths
Eng Lit
Economics
History

Are those really streneous subjects considering how i did at gcse...just want an opinion

I got

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*
Original post by Fluffystar123
These are the subjects im doing at Alevel

Maths
Eng Lit
Economics
History

Are those really streneous subjects considering how i did at gcse...just want an opinion

I got

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*

A lot can change between GCSE and A level but you got As in all the relevant subjects so you have as good a chance of doing well as anyone. Just work steadily through the year (or both years) and make sure you understand everything as you go along and you should be fine- good luck! :biggrin:
Hi,

I just enrolled in sixth form and I definitely want to do Photography, Psychology and Biology. But I couldn't decide between sociology and geography, someone please help. I could give you my GCSE results if that would help but I can't decide what to do?

Also I think i would like to do something with Psychology in the future but I'm not sure and if i didn't do that what other options would I have with those a levels?

Finally I also have been offered an apprenticeship with London Underground and it pays quite a bit of money. If i took this could I do my a levels in my own time? How difficult would that be? Or could I wait to finish it then do them after for free (free education until 19) for first year then pay second year?

Please help asap!
After getting my results of 4As 7Bs 1C. I've had to leave my school and got to another sixth with my options being Bio Chem English Lit and BTEC Engineering I was wondering if it was possible to apply to a electronic and electrical engineering course in uni with 2 A Levels and a Btec being Bio Chem and Engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest