The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3Fi29
Thanks for your detailed response, I think doing a language does sound great, even if challenging, and my teachers really want me to do one but I still have some time before I choose, (I just wanted someone's opinion other than my teacher!!!) :biggrin:

I did sciences and maths, so French was a nice change I suppose

Well not a nice change, but a nice contrasting subject to have
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I did sciences and maths, so French was a nice change I suppose

Well not a nice change, but a nice contrasting subject to have

what did u get at gcse for sciences maths and french and whatare u aiming for in each one now
Original post by youreanutter
what did u get at gcse for sciences maths and french and whatare u aiming for in each one now

A*s at gcse
A*s at A2

Might get an A in A2 French
Reply 10003
Hi tsr..
does anyone know whether taking Maths, Fm, Chem and Economics at A-Level is sufficient regarding admissions to chemistry degrees (at oxford and imperial specifically). will the missing physics a level hinder my application?
Thx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lisb
Hi tsr..
does anyone know whether taking Maths, Fm, Chem and Economics at A-Level is sufficient regarding admissions to chemistry degrees (at oxford and imperial specifically). will the missing physics a level hinder my application?
Thx

With subjects like that most universities might wonder why you're not applying for a Maths degree but it should be fine as long as you have loads of extra-curricular stuff to back it up (e.g. reading further into your subject in your own time, volunteering, work experience) and a clear and explained enthusiasm for the subject!
Reply 10005
Original post by dlwilson97
With subjects like that most universities might wonder why you're not applying for a Maths degree but it should be fine as long as you have loads of extra-curricular stuff to back it up (e.g. reading further into your subject in your own time, volunteering, work experience) and a clear and explained enthusiasm for the subject!

I didn't think that it being too maths-centric was an issue as chemistry is a mathematical degree. My main question is whether the absence of physics could be an issue :smile:
Original post by Lisb
I didn't think that it being too maths-centric was an issue as chemistry is a mathematical degree. My main question is whether the absence of physics could be an issue :smile:

The maths won't be an issue, and if you change your mind it could be very useful. The lack of physics might be though- have a look on UCAS or specific university websites but certainly the really top unis often expect physics for chemistry, and quite a few others as well I think.
Reply 10007
Original post by furryface12
The maths won't be an issue, and if you change your mind it could be very useful. The lack of physics might be though- have a look on UCAS or specific university websites but certainly the really top unis often expect physics for chemistry, and quite a few others as well I think.

The Oxford website says that as well as maths and chem which are prerequisites, 'Another science or Further Mathematics may be useful for some elements of the course, but are not essential.'
Imperial website just says 'Maths, Chemistry and another approved subject'

Original post by Lisb
The Oxford website says that as well as maths and chem which are prerequisites, 'Another science or Further Mathematics may be useful for some elements of the course, but are not essential.'
Imperial website just says 'Maths, Chemistry and another approved subject'

From that I'd say you're probably alright then, particularly with further maths. It could be worth emailing them to check but you have the prerequisites and economics and further maths are also both good subjects so you should be fine hopefully.
So I think I want to do:

English Literature
Product Design
Geography

are these good choices and what can these lead to? Do they also link together?

Latest