The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is there any exam board that allows me to study Islam only at A level? With a textbook to help me learn the content by myself??? Quote me please, thanks
Reply 1101
can anyone tell me what would be a better subject to choose for my A Levels...Business Studies or AS English Language and Literature..I already have decided on ACCOUNTS/ECONOMICS/SOCIOLOGY and I'd drop Business Studies after AS most probably. Aiming for a Business Administration/Management degree here. Though, I have my heart set on PoliSci. Which subject would keep my options open??
P.S Got 6 A* and an A in O Levels, A* in Business Studies, A* in English Language and a B in English Lit. :frown: which I didn't expect.
Reply 1102
I'd appear for AS English Lang. and Lit privately since it is not offered by my school, does that make any difference to Universities..appearing privately for a subject in the same session though..
Looking at doing Critical Thinking and Sociology. How difficult are these subjects?
Reply 1104
Universities look down on Critical Thinking, but I am told Sociology is kind of difficult. There were a few A's in the AS batch in my school this year. Not many, but students managed to score.
Reply 1105
Hi there,

I am going into year 11 and need to choose my a-levels soon. I am probably going to do English at undergraduate leavel in Uni, and then go on to do a PGCE in either Secondary English or Primary Teaching. I have tried to think of A levels good for English, but I am concerned that two of them seem to be disliked. I am predicted nearly all A/A*'s at GCSE, and have ambitions of going to a Russel group uni, not Oxbridge or anything, but somewhere along the lines of Nottingham/Birmingham/Southampton. I am considering:
English Language and Litureture
History
Drama and Theatre Studies
Media Studies (Most likely dropped for A2)

Any advice on whether I have a chance with those? If not, what should I be looking at?
nmac94
Hi there,

I am going into year 11 and need to choose my a-levels soon. I am probably going to do English at undergraduate leavel in Uni, and then go on to do a PGCE in either Secondary English or Primary Teaching. I have tried to think of A levels good for English, but I am concerned that two of them seem to be disliked. I am predicted nearly all A/A*'s at GCSE, and have ambitions of going to a Russel group uni, not Oxbridge or anything, but somewhere along the lines of Nottingham/Birmingham/Southampton. I am considering:
English Language and Litureture
History
Drama and Theatre Studies
Media Studies (Most likely dropped for A2)

Any advice on whether I have a chance with those? If not, what should I be looking at?

You don't really need to decide soon tbh.Your subjects are fine, But, maybe consider dropping Media Studies for something more academic, also consider just doing straight Literature:smile:
Reply 1107
Yeh, I was worried about Media as it would be my second 'soft' subject along with Drama, but Drama and English is often considered a good combination. I just can't think of a relevant AS that isn't soft. I did consider straight litureture, but looking at the unis websites, most aren't bothered and those that are just ask that you read non course related books in your free time, which I'd probably do anyway, and I also like creative writing that I wouldn't do with staight litureture. Any suggestions for the fourth subject?
nmac94
Yeh, I was worried about Media as it would be my second 'soft' subject along with Drama, but Drama and English is often considered a good combination. I just can't think of a relevant AS that isn't soft. I did consider straight litureture, but looking at the unis websites, most aren't bothered and those that are just ask that you read non course related books in your free time, which I'd probably do anyway, and I also like creative writing that I wouldn't do with staight litureture. Any suggestions for the fourth subject?

What about geography, economics or a foreign language?
Reply 1109
Duckzilla
What about geography, economics or a foreign language?

I could do Geography, am predicted A* at GCSE. Economics I'd be fine with do. I don't want to do a language, I do French GCSE, and hate it, really difficult, and will get a high C/low B. I thought Media may be more helpful, but if Geography is a better bet, I'd like to continue so that's fine. :smile:
After getting my results ive chosen to study English Lit, History, Psychology and Sociology
Hi

I want to be a primary school teacher, which subjects would be best for this at a level and is english lit preferred to combined?

Thanks
Dancin queen
Hi

I want to be a primary school teacher, which subjects would be best for this at a level and is english lit preferred to combined?

Thanks

Try doing a BTEC in Early years as you get work experience during your course. Doing English Lit/Lang with an art subject such as Geography/History. Maybe doing a language as its becoming a necessary also a science as well.
Reply 1113
I wanto become a high school English Teacher and I've gotten an A & B in my English GCSEs. As A-Levels I'ce chosen English Lit, English Lang, Psychology and ICT.

Is this a good choice for A levels if i want to teach??

EDIT: I got passes in all my GCSEs so having Cs in Maths and Since is no problem
Can someone tell me what i can do with AS biology, chemistry, phsycology and media studies.

i really do not know what to do???:frown:
dontflinch
Can someone tell me what i can do with AS biology, chemistry, phsycology and media studies.

i really do not know what to do???:frown:

At least spell psychology right :stomp:
Can't decide between Psychology and Sociology, psychology sounds more interesting but the A-level results were awful! In Sociology there's a really good teacher but i don't know much about it.
Sociology is the study of groups of people and how they act in/as a society- psychology is more focused on the individual. :smile:

I'm taking.. (I think)
Spanish
Sociology
Salters Nuffield Applied Biology
and BTEC Performing Arts.

Will this affect me getting into a good uni?
Reply 1118
Im trying to decide what to chose for my A Levels......., I want to do physics at university.

Im planning on doing maths physics, chemistry, and........ further maths maybe, economics maybe, not sure.

But i dont think i would enjoy or be good at economics, and further maths i think might be too hard? Based on what people have said.

how good is it to have further maths if wanting to do physics?
i dont really think i would enjoy or be good at economics
And im not sure how good id be at the further maths:confused:

I know i got an A*, but i was in a really low set last year, the teacher was convinced that i should have been there, recently apologised, after m getting an A*

i dont know! i cant decide! is there any other subjects i could do?!?!! HELP!! :confused: :s-smilie:

thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1119
i-am-sam
Im trying to decide what to chose for my A Levels......., I want to do physics at university.

Im planning on doing maths physics, chemistry, and........ further maths maybe, economics maybe, not sure.

But i dont think i would enjoy or be good at economics, and further maths i think might be too hard? Based on what people have said.

how good is it to have further maths if wanting to do physics?
i dont really think i would enjoy or be good at economics
And im not sure how good id be at the further maths:confused:

I know i got an A*, but i was in a really low set last year, the teacher was convinced that i should have been there, recently apologised, after m getting an A*

i dont know! i cant decide! is there any other subjects i could do?!?!! HELP!! :confused: :s-smilie:

thanks! :biggrin:

I think further maths will be much more helpful for you and will put you at an advantage over other candidates without it when it comes to applying for universities

Also if you dont think you will enjoy economics dont take it theres no point taking something that you wont enjoy.

i think it would be good to have a non science related subject but since you want to do a physics related degree you should stick with further maths

Latest